Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Xootr Crossrack on folding bikes

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-11, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know if this rack has been discussed before. I recently purchased a xootr crossrack to use with my brompton. I got tired of wearing a backpack while riding and the brompton can't really accommodate panniers on its rear rack. I didn't want to spend money on the brompton luggage systems because they were expensive and they didn't have a bag that was large enough for my use. Xootr had this rack along with a massive bag and safety lights for under $100. THe rack fits my brompton perfectly. I would recommend this rack to anyone, especially to people with folders because our bikes are quite unique because of the folds and I think this rack will accommodate many types of folds.
https://www.xootr.com/crossrack-bike-rack.html
Old 06-06-11, 11:45 AM
My legs hurt

Bikes: Vaya, Brompton, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, Cresswell Fold-it, '81 Trek 610

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Does it interfere with the fold?
Old 06-06-11, 06:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bendembroski
Does it interfere with the fold?
im wondering the same thing.....Also, maybe its possible to install another CrossRack to the front of the Brompton......Xootr says it works on some folders, so im not sure about Bromptons. If it does, it could save us hundreds of dollars!
Old 06-06-11, 09:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
as long as the seat post is extended or the telescoping the fold isn't effected. if it is mounted on the standard seat-post it won't go down enough to lock the bike. however it is best to not mount a loaded bag to the rack while moving the seat post because of the weight (bag can carry up to 25 pounds). the rack itself weighs next to nothing. I didn't try mounting it to the front, but i think the cables might get in the way. I will post a picture as soon as i get mine back from repairs due to a recent accident.

Last edited by ajam0153; 06-06-11 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-07-11, 08:21 AM

Bikes: Joey Sport; Mezzo D9;Curve D3; Surly LHT self build cargoesque

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Like the idea, and would like to see a pic. A carradice saddlebag works for me on an extended seat post without affect fold. But the sweet thing about the crossrack would be its transferrability between bikes.
Old 06-07-11, 08:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that was one huge plus point. the rack comes in 2 pieces, a metal stub which attaches to the bike and the rack itself which can be taken out with a quick release. So if you have more than one bike, you could buy multiple stubs, leave them attached to your bikes and quickly swap your rack between them.
Old 06-07-11, 08:46 AM
My legs hurt

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just can't get my head around the appeal of the crossrack. Maybe I'd need to use one to understand, but I'd rather use a conventional saddlebag with a QR bagman. The crossrack just looks so ungainly. I think it's the size of the cantilever from seatpost to bag... That and you need to have the load pretty high to not interefere with the fold on a lot of bikes.

Anyway, people that have 'em seem to love 'em.
Old 06-07-11, 12:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I was researching luggage options for the brompton, I was looking at a carradice saddle bag along with support system very similar to Qr Bagman. however, the largest carradice saddlebag that i could find had a capacity of 24L. the xootr crossbag is basically a large 30L pannier. it is waterproof (to a certain degree) so i can load stuff into a normal backpack and put the entire thing into a the crossbag when i'm commuting to work. but if I want to go on longer rides i can just stuff the crossbag with clothes, food, repair stuff, helmet and other junk. So basically, i have the option of multiple compartments of a backpack, or the non obstructive carrying capacity of brompton rack sack (https://www.cyclingmadeeasy.co.uk/pro...78589_zoom.jpg). Saddle bags stickout more to the sides than the crossbag too. I bought the cross-rack because it was designed to be used with the crossbag. and like i mentioned earlier, i can easily mount it to either of my bikes quickly. But like you said it is pretty ugly and probably isn't built as well as the more expensive saddlebag options.
Here is one on a dahon curve
https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2747/...4af0f74b52.jpg
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-rEP6WyR4kc...ed+on+rear.JPG

Last edited by ajam0153; 06-07-11 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-07-11, 01:41 PM

Bikes: NWT 24sp DD; Brompton M6R

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I use a cross rack on my BF most of the time. (I actually have two crossracks and can use one on the front and one on the back, but I don't). I have a wire basket zip tied to one of the crossracks, which is the one that I typically use, as it's otherwise hard to have an easily removable basket on a folder. (I used to use a removable rack, but that took too long to remove). The second crossrack is if I want to switch out the basket for a pannier...but in practice I find I'd rather have the basket.

It is amazing how light the crossrack is considering how substantial it is.
Old 06-07-11, 05:48 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
To me, the main benefit of CrossRack is that unlike many other quick release options it allows me to use almost any panniers available in the market. I posted a few photos of my CrossRack with different bags attached here:

https://www.stridaforum.com/forum/vie...2&t=2951#p4922

Even though I can fold my Strida without removing the rack, I always remove it regardless.
Old 06-07-11, 06:50 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
fwd-bwd: What a superb description of the uses of the crossrack!
Old 06-08-11, 01:23 AM
My legs hurt

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been looking at luggage options for my new / old Brompton. I'm starting out by trying one of the Brompton racks with my Ortleib panniers.

If I wanted to add a second bag, I could see the crossrack being an option. The only practical problem is that I don't used an extended seatpost, so the rack would interfere with the fold. Any thoughts on if a quick release system could be bodged?

And yes, I realise this post is in direct opposition to my earlier post on the matter. I want to like the crossrack, help me!
Old 06-08-11, 06:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm assuming you use a standard seatpost. I personally can't think of quick release system that would be sturdy enough, but i think it would be easier to come up with a way to attach it to the saddle itself ( maybe using handlebar extensions of some kind). As you would have guessed if you mount it to the standard seatpost, it won't retract far enough to lock the bike when folded. you could also try to attach something to the bottom of the seatpost (https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brompton-...nga-prod13548/) to slightly increase it's length) or the final option would be to by either a telescoping or extended seatpost.
Old 06-08-11, 01:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ajam0153
you could also try to attach something to the bottom of the seatpost (https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brompton-...nga-prod13548/) to slightly increase it's length) or the final option would be to by either a telescoping or extended seatpost.
Yes, a short 30mm dia. wooden dowel, glued into the bottom of the seatpost would increase the length of the seatpost, just enough to fit the CrossRack and still lock the fold. I measured my Brompton seatpost's I.D and its 30mm. I.D=Inside Diameter.

Another plus to the CrossRack is it also fits the Xootr Scooter...i often use the scooter for short 1-2 mile runs to get groceries....i hang grocery bags off the handlebars...it works OK, but you have to slow down, or the bags swing too much...the CrossRack should work much better and can be instantly swapped to any of my 3 bikes which is a major plus to me.
Old 06-08-11, 02:17 PM

Location: Carlisle, in England's Lake District, just a few miles south of the border with Scotland.

Bikes: A Bianchi C2C road bike, a steel framed touring bike and a Xootr Swift folder which has made the rest redundant!

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The new Rixen Kaul rack may be of use. It clips into the Klickfix brackets that 'bar bags use and can hold a variety of bags and objects.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1912s_1..jpg (64.0 KB, 97 views)
Old 06-09-11, 12:46 AM

Bikes: swift folder(alfine 8, marathon plus, crossrack, klickfix freepack)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm disappointed you didn't buy the brompton luggage. luggage that doesnt' make your steering jerk and comes off incredibly quickly, and whose weight distribution melds perfectly with the brompton. yes its overpriced, but one of the best features of the bike
Old 06-09-11, 01:54 AM
My legs hurt

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nish2575
i'm disappointed you didn't buy the brompton luggage. luggage that doesnt' make your steering jerk and comes off incredibly quickly, and whose weight distribution melds perfectly with the brompton. yes its overpriced, but one of the best features of the bike
As far as I can tell you can use many standard panniers on the Brompton rack that is used for their bags. If you already have bags that want to use, this could be a good option.

However, I can see something like the Crossrack being a good way to add a second bag to the Brompton.
Old 06-09-11, 12:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
but sounds like they haven't bought even the front brompton frame or luggage. i agree you can get all sorts of panniers strapped onto the open brompton frame.

the klickfix thing above is a reaction to the brompton frame, for bikes that only have a klickfix headtube plate instead of a brompton front block
Old 06-09-11, 02:34 PM

Location: Carlisle, in England's Lake District, just a few miles south of the border with Scotland.

Bikes: A Bianchi C2C road bike, a steel framed touring bike and a Xootr Swift folder which has made the rest redundant!

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the klickfix thing above is a reaction to the brompton frame, for bikes that only have a klickfix headtube plate instead of a brompton front block[/QUOTE]

The beauty of the Rixen Kaul rack is that it can be used on any bike (front or rear) by fitting the KlickFix block (handlebar mount, seat tube bracket or Caddy bracket). I haven't tried it yet but if it is of the usual R/K quality it should be a good bit of kit.
Old 06-09-11, 03:57 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have a steel bag rack for my brompton, [new ones are nylon and aluminum]

the same sort of folded steel sheet , piece has been used to braze up a pannier support rack ,
by several aftermarket parts makers , such as Kinetics in Glasgow.
Old 06-09-11, 10:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
agreed on ability to use on any bike, i use some of the klickfix stuff myself, but only because i'm not riding a brompton anymore
Old 06-12-11, 02:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thought I would post some pictures of the rack on my other bike. I don't have a picture of the it on my brompton because it is still being repaired. This particular bike is a 70's Schwinn world traveller made in japan. the bike is steel and starting to show rust. so over the last month I took it apart and hand painted it my self. the black areas are actually old inner tubes that i've wrapped around. the uglier the bike looks the the less likely it will be stollen......hopefully. the bike is a fixie and it is my main snow/offroad bike, since the brompton can't do either very well.
Attached Images
IMG_2948.jpg (102.6 KB, 113 views)
IMG_2949.jpg (102.2 KB, 103 views)
IMG_2950.jpg (102.7 KB, 116 views)
Old 07-06-11, 03:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attached Images
IMG_2973.jpg (95.1 KB, 120 views)
IMG_2972.jpg (98.1 KB, 118 views)
IMG_2967.jpg (97.1 KB, 118 views)
IMG_2964.jpg (93.9 KB, 117 views)
IMG_2961.jpg (92.2 KB, 113 views)
IMG_2960.jpg (88.5 KB, 110 views)
IMG_2959.jpg (95.2 KB, 117 views)
IMG_2968.jpg (97.4 KB, 112 views)
IMG_2965.jpg (97.5 KB, 107 views)
IMG_2962.jpg (93.3 KB, 119 views)

Last edited by ajam0153; 07-08-11 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Fix the pictures
Old 07-08-11, 05:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ajam0153
Finally Got the Brompton bike. after a month. Couple of pictures with the crossrack.
Wow thanks for taking all these pics ajam! i think it works!
Old 07-08-11, 06:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I fixed the photos, some of the them were reposts and were oriented properly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.