Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

You've got me.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-11, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You've got me.

I've seen alot of threads about people riding trails, camping and having an awesome.
Now mostly I ride my fixie on the roads hear in the greater southern new jersey, but I want more.

I'm getting a MTB and taking to the trails.
These are what I'm considering:
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...basecamp_2.htm

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...500_x_sale.htm

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/hay1200xi.htm

Also working in a school I get the last two weeks on August of and I'm looking for someone to ride with/ camp with.

I live in Southern New Jersey, Gloucester County to be precise, I'm willing to drive about 100mi to get to a good point to ride from.

Any tips, or takers?
Old 06-07-11, 06:30 PM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
The Dawes has a better grade of components out of the three you are considering. No real suggestions other than go for it! I'm sure you'll have a blast.
Old 06-07-11, 09:46 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by callmeclemens
I've seen alot of threads about people riding trails, camping and having an awesome.
Now mostly I ride my fixie on the roads hear in the greater southern new jersey, but I want more.

I'm getting a MTB and taking to the trails.
These are what I'm considering:
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...basecamp_2.htm

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...500_x_sale.htm

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/hay1200xi.htm

Also working in a school I get the last two weeks on August of and I'm looking for someone to ride with/ camp with.

I live in Southern New Jersey, Gloucester County to be precise, I'm willing to drive about 100mi to get to a good point to ride from.

Any tips, or takers?
Bull Island on the D and R Canal Towpath?

Schuylkill River Trail/Perkiomen Trail - camping at Green Lane Park?

If you don't mind not having a trail, lots of places to legally camp in NJ and DE - and PA if you don't mind our hills.

Old 06-08-11, 06:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not one bit, been riding single speed up hills for a year now, I'd imagine it just simply be pleasant with gears to shift too.
Old 06-08-11, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Bellplain State Forest near Woodbine, NJ has camping and, I believe, some trails you can ride your MTB on. (Albeit flat.) There are some guys who have a good roadside BBQ in Woodbine during summer weekends. It's called Kingfish. It's on the "main drag" in next to an antique store.

You don't say whether you want to tour with the bike or drive somewhere, camp and do day rides. If the latter, you could ride up the Lehigh Gorge trail from Jim Thorpe, PA to Whitehaven then take roads to get to Hickory Run State Park. Even if you car camp, there is a lot of MTBing in the Jim Thorpe area. You can get trail maps from Blue Mountain Sports in town.

Bull's Island in nice. Reservations a very good idea for the weekends. Also in Hunterdon County are Spruce Run and Round Valley. Both are state parks/recreation areas. The problem with the latter is that the campsites are all wilderness sites. You can only get there via foot or boat. I know someone who pushed the bike to get to a campsite, but that doesn't sound like much fun. Another trail that comes to mind is the Columbia Trail from Highbridge, NJ north to Califon. (Eat at Rambo's General Store.) It continues into Morris County for a while under a different name. Despite being influenced by development along the I-78 corridor, Hunterdon County is still a beautiful place to ride. So is Warren County to the north.

If you really want to range, you could get yourself to Trenton, ride the D&R to Bull's Island, then continue north on the NJ side to Belvidere, cross into PA, continue to Delaware Water Gap, PA then cross back over into NJ to get to Worthington State Forest. From there, ride through the Delaware Water Gap Nat'l Recreation Area then on to Pt. Jervis, NY, where you could use trains to get back to Trenton.
Old 06-08-11, 09:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any Experience on French Creek State Park trails?
Old 06-08-11, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by callmeclemens
Any Experience on French Creek State Park trails?
Only hiking. I have seen people riding. Lots of shade. And there is a swimming pool.