Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

DT Swiss Onyx hub for touring?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-11, 10:36 PM

Bikes: Leader 722TS, Surly Cross Check, GT Outpost, Haro Z16, Trek 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So being that this hub is not longer in production finding info on it is kinda hard. I got one of these super cheap recently and was considering using it as the hub for my new touring rear wheel. Everywhere I read on the net these days says to use either XT hubs or Phil. This seems like an awfully large gap in quality. I have had great luck 700c touring on my DT Swiss 240s hubs. These days I am more interested in touring with minimal gear (20-30lbs with food). I am also switching to 26" for more comfort.

Anyway, the rear build I am thinking is the DT Swiss Onyx I got (though mind you its only a 32h, hope I wont regret it, though my 240s hubs were 32 also) laced to Sun Rhyno Lite rim with Alpine III spokes. Does this sound like a good build or would I be better served by going with the XT hub, 36h and Rhyno lite rims? I weigh 250lbs btw.

Thanks you very much.
Old 06-08-11, 05:53 PM
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
I built some DT Onyx/Velocity Synergy/WS DB wheels back in 2005, after getting an excellent deal on hubs. At the time, DT Hugi were very popular (no longer made, replaced by current 240/340 series hubs). The Onyx were DT's "cheap" hubs. I built 3 wheels for use on 2 bikes: 36h disc rear, 36h disc front, 32h rim front. I used them for 6,000 miles, nearly all on pavement, and never had a problem.

I recall discovering a loose locknut (minor issue) on the rear hub at the end of this period, when I cleaned and regreased bearings. The rear hub has 1/4"/ 6mm ball bearings on the drive side, and a cartridge bearing on the non-drive side. All the front Onyx hubs use pressed-in cartridge bearings.

So, in my experience the DT Onyx were good hubs, suitable for touring duty.

https://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wh...93_127crx.aspx

A 36h Shimano XT hub may have a little advantage longevity-wise, built the same way with same rim/spokes. An offset-drilled rim like the Velocity Synergy would help even more, since it will take about half the dish out of a std 135mm XT wheel.
Old 06-08-11, 08:54 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
through fate, it may be in a wheel that gets damaged,
then since most shops would more likely have a shimano hub wheel
for replacements, in stock,
you can mail the DT hub home to be part of another wheel build..
Old 06-09-11, 06:02 AM

Bikes: IF steel deluxe 29er tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Hugis have lasted 40k miles with just basic servicing. I'd replace the (sealed cartridge) bearings, but I'd need a $170 tool kit.

The 32h should be fine if you stay on asphalt - especially with 26" wheels.