Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

leather saddle ?

Old 11-08-04, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I heard that a leather saddle is the way to go. Once you break it in and formed to your butt nothing compares. Is this true?
Old 11-08-04, 08:32 PM

Bikes: 04 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2010 Cannondale

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
In a word, YES. I have 4000 miles on my Brooks B17. The absolute best thing I've purchased for my bike.
Old 11-08-04, 10:37 PM
Glutton for Punishment

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I love my Brooks B72, and am keeping an eye out for a B66. I was skeptical at first, but now any other saddle feels funny to me. You do have to be a little more conscientious about how you care for one, compared to a regular saddle, but it's a small price to pay.
Old 11-08-04, 11:00 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
yes it's true, that why more touring cyclist ride on Brooks then any other saddle.
Old 11-08-04, 11:13 PM

Bikes: Trek 5300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have ridden Brook saddle since 1946 and can say that Brook saddles, or no other saddle has to be broken in. It is your butt that is broken in to the saddle. Brook saddles are one of those things you either love or hate, there is no in between. I love them and have two spare in my home. They require some maintenance. I dress the top with neutral Kiwi shoe polish and the underside with Brook's Proofide. I have given up on many other reputable saddles over the years.
Old 11-09-04, 08:43 AM
@#$% cars

Bikes: '02 Schwinn Frontier;'03 Fisher Tiburon; '04 Raleigh Companion; 04 Dahon SpeedPro; 69 Raleigh Sport fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dang
I heard that a leather saddle is the way to go. Once you break it in and formed to your butt nothing compares. Is this true?
yup. I just snagged my third B-17 ... now I've got one on all three bikes!!
Old 11-09-04, 08:51 AM
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hubs
yup. I just snagged my third B-17 ... now I've got one on all three bikes!!
Brooks All The Way. Four bikes = Four Brooks.
Old 11-11-04, 11:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert Gardner
I have ridden Brook saddle since 1946 and can say that Brook saddles, or no other saddle has to be broken in. It is your butt that is broken in to the saddle. Brook saddles are one of those things you either love or hate, there is no in between. I love them and have two spare in my home. They require some maintenance. I dress the top with neutral Kiwi shoe polish and the underside with Brook's Proofide. I have given up on many other reputable saddles over the years.
Since '46? Wow Robert! I'm impressed. Now these Brook saddles are made in England, right? I like the look of those saddles. But I notice that "Performance" doesn't list any "leather saddles" on thier web page. (Anyway thier on "probation" for a little while.) I suppose any local bike shop carries Brooks though. Do you suppose if I bought one and didn't like it I'd be able to get my money back?
Old 11-11-04, 11:51 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Robert, I'm sorry but I've ridden Brooks saddles back in the 70's then stopped in the 80's and 90's then bought a Swift about 2 years ago and they DO break into your butt. Sure your butt has to do some of the breaking in, but the saddle does most of it, just like a pair of leather shoes. Haven't you noticed the dimples on your Brooks saddle caused by your sit bones? Todays modern racing saddle will never have those dimples because they never break in, they might wear out, but not break in-it's your butt that has to do all the breaking in. And its for those reasons that most tourist ride Brooks more then any other saddle combined.

Your response was a response that seemed ignorant; correct me if I'm wrong, but this has led me to believe you don't really own any Brooks and never have, because if you had owned a Brooks you would have known about the dimples.

Last edited by froze; 11-11-04 at 11:59 PM.
Old 11-11-04, 11:51 PM
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
Do you suppose if I bought one and didn't like it I'd be able to get my money back?
Yes, from these nice folks.....
https://www.wallbike.com/
Old 11-12-04, 02:11 AM
Car-Free Flatlander

Bikes: Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aside from Titanium rails, does anyone know what the difference between the Brooks B-17 S, the Team Pro S, and the Finesse might be?

Stacy
Old 11-12-04, 11:15 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Google Brooks saddles and search on this forum. Then you decide. And yeah, nothing compares.
Old 11-13-04, 06:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Fixer
Yes, from these nice folks.....
https://www.wallbike.com/
I gotta get me the Honey Style b17 I decided. Also Wallbike is now in my "favorites".
Now if I find one on ebay, say around 40 bucks, and its used, will it conform to my rump? Or once its broke in its broken in and theres nothing I can do about it.
Old 11-13-04, 06:26 PM
Beausage is Beautiful

Bikes: Nabiis Alchemy

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I won't touch 'em. I don't doubt the comfort once you get one broken in, but I'm perfectly happy with the comfort of my current and other saddles and am quite happy not to have to freak out about the rain, which I ride in a lot. Brooks are nice, but not perfect.
Old 11-13-04, 07:46 PM
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Freak out in the rain? I've ridden my Brooks' in rain plenty of times with no worries.
Old 11-13-04, 08:02 PM
Knows Bigfoot's Momma

Bikes: yeah; got a couple...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quality leather saddles are great! BOTH the saddle, AND yout backside get broken with use... The saddle gets softer and stretches, and your butt toughens up to the task of breaking in the saddle. Once that's done (couple of hundred miles; not years), a leather saddle that's adjusted properly (old 2 bolt seatposts are best for that), and the right width for you, will become a good friend. My butt loves both the B-17 Standard and the Pro. The B-17N is a bit narrow for me. The B-17 Champion Special looks very nice with copper plated rails & the big copper rivets... I've got one I just stuck on a bike & haven't yet ridden. I'm sure I'll love it too. Bit of advice: rub a light coat of Proofhide on top the night before you ride, and buff off in the morning. Do that every other ride 'till you notice the saddle starting to break in, then stop with the Proofhide except for once or twice a year. If you ride in lots of rain, forget leather altogether or be prepared to ride with a trash bag on the saddle...
Old 11-14-04, 04:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dubin I put it on my work boots and my saddle once a year rain snow salt not a problem.... Brooks is a saddle the rest are seats.