Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Overnight in St. Charles, MO

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-11, 03:07 PM
Long Live Long Rides

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, converted for touring/commuting. 1984 Raleigh Team USA road bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well crap. Twice. In a couple of weeks I'm going to jump on the Katy and ride to St. Charles and back (to Kansas City). I've been on the trail many times...like many on BF. The problem is St. Charles. I always have a tough time finding some place to pitch my tent.

Last year I asked soooo many people and got fifty different answers, This week I sent an email to the St. Charles Parks Department asking where I can pitch my tent. "There are no tent camping accommodations in St. Charles." The closest place for tent camping is Klondike Park, a good 14-15 miles SW.

I've even sent emails to a couple of the B&Bs to see if I can pay a small fee and pitch my tent on their property. I haven't gotten any replies yet.

Anyone found a decent place to stay in St. Charles? I'd like to stay in a B&B but they are a little too expensive for me.

I may just have to wing it...like always.

Thanks for any ideas!
Old 06-10-11, 05:29 PM
Senior Lurker, mostly.

Bikes: '02 Raleigh C40, '10 Fuji Touring, and a refurbished '82 (I think) Motobecane Grand Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can tell ya what I have done and will do again. It should work out unless you plan to spend a couple of days in St. Charles. I camp at Klondike Park, and do an out and back from there to St. Charles. It is 27 miles one way, so I spend a little time seeing the sights, get brunch or lunch and just do whatever, then head back to Klondike Park camp there again then head on back up the trail the next morning. If you plan to go to the end, at Machens, that would be approx 77 mile round trip. Wish there was someplace in St. Charles to tent camp but I guess hotels and motels rule.
Old 06-10-11, 05:50 PM
Long Live Long Rides

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, converted for touring/commuting. 1984 Raleigh Team USA road bike.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ha! 27 miles is even farther than I tried to guestimate! Last year I actually pitched my tent behind a dumpster in Frontier Park. Not too bad but I couldn't relax. 27 miles really isn't that bad and I may just do that. I've got the time.
Thanks DW99.

Jerry H
Old 06-11-11, 03:59 AM
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have you thought about trying Warmshowers.org to see if there are members in or near St. Charles?
Old 06-11-11, 07:21 AM
Long Live Long Rides

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks ctyler! That was an awesome idea! I registered, set my home up as a host, AND found someone in St. Charles! (sent email) This is the first time I've heard of Warmshowers.org. What a great idea.

Jerry H
Old 06-11-11, 01:58 PM
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Jerry, I hosted two cyclists three years ago and it was a great experience. I hope it works out for you.

Cheers
Old 06-11-11, 02:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Warmshowers sounds like the best idea. I was going to suggest getting a Hennessey Hammock. I have one and feel quite secure in the bush a ways. Just remember to obscure your reflectors if you do. I hope your tour is fun this year. Finding ways around a closed trail might help you find some fascinating places you would have missed. There may be some more closings due to washout or repair.