Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

3 Days of Biking in Quebec - Where to go?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-11, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have set aside a few days next week to go touring in Quebec -- planning to cycle for 3 or 4 of them. I have a lot of ideas about what to do and I'd love some advice. I'd like to see nice scenery while staying safe (I prefer lightly trafficked roads or dedicated bike paths).

Here are my ideas so far, but other suggestions would be appreciated!

* Route Verte #5 from Montreal to Quebec City along the North Shore, then take the train back. However I am concerned about the traffic along this route. What is it like?

* Route Verte #1 from Waterloo/Sherbrooke to Quebec City (then bus back to Sherbrooke). But I have two questions: first, is this route beautiful or boring (I've read both)?? Also, are the unpaved bike paths much slower than roads?

* Route Verte #1 from Quebec City to Riviere-du-Loup (bus back to Quebec City)

Thank you for your help!

Adam
Old 06-15-11, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
quebec

If you are willing to handle the logistics of the bus ride, the Petit du Nord to Montreal would be nice and maybe the first choice as a bike path.

I haven't riden from Sherbrooke to QC, but my sense is that that is not as nice as the earlier section. So montreal to Chambly to Granby to Magog to Sherbrook would be really nice as another option. Turning that lower section into a loop, around Granby somehow, would elimate the bus ride.

We enjoyed Rivierre du Loup to QC, but that was only like 1.5 days of easy riding. We also did one day on Rt #5, if that is the Chemin de Roy, to Tres Rivers, and I didn't like that as much. It was mostly along roads, sometimes on the busy road, and then sometimes on the old road, but it seemed to not go through any cute towns and limited services. It was pouring rain that day, so it would be nicer in better weather. Any day in Montreal or QC is a great day, so adding them in makes sense.
Old 06-15-11, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
I highly recommend Le P'tit Train du Nord, a very nice rail/trail starting in the northern suburbs of Montreal. It cuts right through the Laurentians and has lovely scenery. There are shuttle services which will carry you and your bike from one end to the other for a reasonable fee.

https://www.laurentians.com/parclineaire/
Old 06-15-11, 05:58 PM
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
1- P'tit Train du Nord.

2- QC > Rivière-du-Loup, although you could probably make it to Rimouski with long hours of sunlight and the usual tailwind. IMO, the scenery ranks well above Le P'tit Train but it's mostly on roads, albeit quiet ones. The best part is east of Montmagny. The train runs from Rimouski and other towns on the shore.

3- Véloroute des Bleuets. 256km The train goes to Chambord but it's slow.

4-MTL > QC via the North Shore

5- Waterloo > QC. Yes it is boring in parts. The only good thing is having a quiet path for a long distance.
Old 06-15-11, 06:52 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 on the P'tit Train du Nord, great trail, great b&b's, great food.

Also check into the Route Verte in the EasternTownships, nice riding, small villages, wineries, and around Lake Memphremagog, nice hills and views
Old 06-15-11, 07:12 PM
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
One year I rode from Drummondville to Sherbrooke to Lac Megantic to Quebec City. The Lac Magantic area was beautiful, and I enjoyed following the river north to Quebec. Not much traffic, either.

The south shore of the St. Lawrence River, heading east from Levi (across the river from Quebec City) is especially nice in my opinion. I would do it again. Not too hilly, either, unless you head inland (south).

The opposite side of the St. Lawrence east of Quebec City is gorgeous, but the hills are intense. Google Charlevoix and you will see what I mean.
Old 06-15-11, 10:12 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by acantor
The opposite side of the St. Lawrence east of Quebec City is gorgeous, but the hills are intense. Google Charlevoix and you will see what I mean.
he isnt exaggerating, it is really damn hilly in fact. Beautiful, but ooooof hard. Gone along it a number of times by car, but really wouldnt want to do it by bike to be honest.
Old 06-16-11, 07:50 PM
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Charlevoix is EXTREMELY challenging by bike. I encountered hills I had to walk up, but overall, the trip was my favourite.

I returned a few years later after riding several days on the relatively flat south shore, and oof! The first monster hill made me decide it was time to go home.
Old 06-19-11, 10:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! Thank you for all of the helpful advice!

After reading the comments I decided to change my trip. I'll be starting from Lévis just south of Quebec City and biking northeast. My plan is
Day 1 - Lévis - Saint-Jean-Port-Joli
Day 2 - Saint-Jean-Port-Joli - Riviére-du-Loup
Day 3 - Riviére-du-Loup - Rimouski
Day 4 - bus back, visit Quebec City

Where I'm couchsurfing in each destination. If I feel up to it, I just might try continuing northeast on day 4...

If you guys have any tips on things to do on the way, I'd love to hear them. Thanks for the help!