Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Roof Racks and All Kinds of Bikes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-11, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've entered a new phase in life, no more minivan! Woot! The downside is the loss of space, of course. We bought a Honda CRV and now need to get a roof rack system for bikes primarily, but also other things. Any suggestions on the best racks for versitility - we'll be carrying road bikes, hybrids and kids bikes at any given time.
Old 06-17-11, 02:52 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
My only experience with a roof rack was a Yakima rack.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 06-17-11, 03:32 PM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3237 Post(s)
Liked 2,082 Times in 1,180 Posts
Can you get the to the bikes on top of a CRV ?. It's a tallish vehicle and ya might need a step ladder.

If that's the case, a hitch rack might be your best bet, course then you have to install a trailer hitch.
Old 06-17-11, 05:10 PM
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,477 Times in 3,223 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Can you get the to the bikes on top of a CRV ?. It's a tallish vehicle and ya might need a step ladder.

If that's the case, a hitch rack might be your best bet, course then you have to install a trailer hitch.
Something to consider.

Plus then you only have to worry about getting rear ended or backing into something. And I think the bikes get a little dirtier.

I've got a roof rack on an Accord. I'm 5'8" and if I've got bikes or something else in the middle it's a stretch, no figure of speech. In addition there is a bit of bike jargon that is as accurate as well as tragic - "yakimaed" - as in "I went through the drive in at McDonald's and yakimaed my bikes and my car's roof."
Old 06-18-11, 12:32 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
In addition to overhead clearance issues, the gas will go faster
pushing a larger frontal area of stuff up there,pusthing thru the air...

I recommend a light utility trailer, being towed instead..
[and has the useful hauling in general]
Old 06-19-11, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Bikes on the roof won't fit under the local Taco Bell drive-through. That's a deal breaker for me. Hitch racks have been my preferred method for some time. I like the kind that hold the bikes by the wheels rather than those that hang the bikes from the top tube. They're more versatile in the types of bikes they will transport and the bikes are more secure not swinging back and forth. They generally position of the bikes pretty high, well above the trajectory of pebbles, rocks etc thrown up by the tires, and (depending on the vehicle) they're more protected from bugs and stuff thrown up by other vehicles.