Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Advice on my wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-11, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Advice on my wheels

Hi all,

I bought a used bike not too long ago. Love the bike so far (Cannondale System Six) and it's my first bike.

The local guys have been telling me I will need new wheels. The wheels on my bike are Real Design Ultrafly and are 1430g. I am 225-230.

What's the consensus here for wheels that light for riders my size? The local guys recommended Easton EA50 Aero. All opinions appreciated.
Old 06-21-11, 07:44 AM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Are you having problems with the current wheels? If they aren't broken, I wouldn't bother "fixing" them...
Old 06-21-11, 09:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
Are you having problems with the current wheels? If they aren't broken, I wouldn't bother "fixing" them...
They are slightly out of true. They were out of true when I got them though, as they were used. I have about 120 miles on them and haven't noticed a difference.

Is it worth it to get them trued at the local shop and then just keep an eye on them?
Old 06-21-11, 10:05 AM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
"Is it worth it to get them trued at the local shop and then just keep an eye on them?" --volantis

Yes, a wheel out of true tends to become worse.

Brad
Old 06-21-11, 11:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. Going to get it done today.
Old 06-21-11, 11:06 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bradtx
Yes, a wheel out of true tends to become worse.
Not only that, but an out-of-true wheel will rub on the brakes, unless you loosen the cables, and then your brakes have lost a lot of their effectiveness.
Old 06-21-11, 11:20 AM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by volantis
Is it worth it to get them trued at the local shop and then just keep an eye on them?
Recommend you get them trued (both radially and laterally) and have the spoke tension checked (and adjusted if necessary). Try to take them to someone who regularly works on wheels. A minimum-wage mechanic who trues one set of wheels/month may end up doing more harm than good...
Old 06-21-11, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by volantis
They are slightly out of true. They were out of true when I got them though, as they were used. I have about 120 miles on them and haven't noticed a difference.

Get them trued right away, and see what happens. If you have a lot of problems with them, get a new set of wheels. But, if they work out for you, keep using them as long as you can ( or as long as you like to ).

Your wheels are pretty light weight, and that usually means they aren't the strongest in the world. Heavy people tend to do well on most bike frames and pedals and the like, but wheels are where Clydes have the most trouble. So don't be surprised if these don't hold up for thousands and thousands of miles. ( But don't assume they won't and ditch them while they're still useful, either. ) If you wind up needing new wheels, Fulcrum Racing 7s are very, very strong, but heavy.

Originally Posted by CraigB
Not only that, but an out-of-true wheel [strike]will[/strike] can rub on the brakes, unless you loosen the cables, and then your brakes have lost a lot of their effectiveness.
Fixed. I noticed my wheels were a little bit out of true, but they weren't nearly bad enough to rub on the brakes. Ideally you want to get it corrected before this happens.
Old 06-21-11, 11:49 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I keep my brakes adjusted pretty tight to the rims. If my wheels go out of true any but the tiniest amount, they will rub. But I understand not everyone keeps theirs adjusted that closely.
Old 06-21-11, 12:00 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
1400g wheels are pretty light for a 200+ rider.. I would have them checked for tension / trued and use for fast pace rides and special events. It would be best to get a robust training wheelset for everyday riding.. so many options, what is price limit?
Old 06-21-11, 12:02 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigB
Not only that, but an out-of-true wheel will rub on the brakes, unless you loosen the cables, and then your brakes have lost a lot of their effectiveness.
Good point. An out of true wheel and not having the pads centered on the rim causes loss of stopping power.
Old 06-21-11, 12:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by socalrider
1400g wheels are pretty light for a 200+ rider.. I would have them checked for tension / trued and use for fast pace rides and special events. It would be best to get a robust training wheelset for everyday riding.. so many options, what is price limit?
I don't intend to race at all. Some group rides here and there but mainly ride in small groups. I'm in East TN so we do a good bit of hills. I'm a beginner so I'm more going for durability than performance now and I've looked at Easton EA50 Aeros for about $400.

I appreciate all the replies.
Old 06-21-11, 05:24 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

For 400.00 I would look at custom build either using Mavic CXP33 or Velocity Fusion rims w/ Ultegra hubset - 32 hole.. If you want to go bulletproof look at Deep V rims..
Old 06-23-11, 10:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A guy I know really well and really trust offered me his used set of Bontrager Race X Lites for $200. They have the bladed spokes from the last few years and he says they're bulletproof but he moved to something lighter (he's a smaller guy).

Do any of you clydes have experience w/ these?
Old 06-23-11, 02:11 PM

The Race Lites that came with Treks have very mixed reviews, they are a 20/24 spoke wheelset. Look at Bontrager site and see if these have a weight limit, sometimes an email to the maker can give you this info.
Old 06-23-11, 02:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've read some of those issues. These are the newer models with the standard spoke pattern instead of the paired spokes. They have much better reviews. I appreciate the advice.