Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Residual Fitness after layoff.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-11, 02:46 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Since Last October I have had a problem in trying to get riding done and to get any distance on the few rides has been impossible.Mainly down to weather but also due to an old Knee injury flaring up. But Sunday I got roped into a ride and finished up doing 65 miles.

Compared to last year- when I was doing that distance at weekends and a couple of 20 milers in the week- the 20 milers for Pie at a leisurely pace occasionally should have put me way down the fitness order.

But on the ride-I started slowly -just as I normally do. Well you couldn't do much else on this ride. There were a few slopes that I just got the comfortable gear and pedalled on. Then at the end an average of 10% for a mile. Easy hill as it has lots of 5% inbetween the 17% max but I just got into granny and stayed in the saddle all the way up. Kept pace down but I reckon I lost a lb or so in sweat up that one. Legs worked but never overworked- Breathing and I talked to other riders without gasping for air at all.

Bit different to the few respectable rides I have done so far this year where the legs were dead by the end and I was gasping for air.

Final check on fitness came monday morning at work. I felt tired and did not attempt the stairs too often but that nag I always have in the knee was not there- The back ache had gone aswell. So I reckon that the last twenty years of fitness are paying me back for the last 9 months of inactivity. It is still there and it is letting me know.

So I reckon that a decent ride with a few decent slopes will be on the cards at the weekend. Hope so as I have been collared to marshall for that big Offroad ride I used to so. It passes locally and there are a few places where riders that do not know the trail will take a wrong turning. Nothing worse after 12 hours in the saddle and 90 miles done and you take a 15 mile detour to no-where. So a few of us are going up the hills to the middle of nowhere- to make certain that the ride does not lose 50 riders in the last 10 miles as happened last year.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-21-11, 03:09 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Glad to hear your doing well. Good luck with the marshalling.