Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Trouble deciding on a bag (Mission Workshop v. Chrome)...

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-11, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lately, I've been growing rather tired of my current bag (a squarish backpack originally designed for carrying foam-lined miniature cases) and have been going over the options available for carrying stuff around.

I'm looking for a bag which is large enough to carry dead hookers, while usuable enough for daily transport and grocery-getting. While not a bike messenger, I do find myself regularly (multiple times a week) carrying large quantites of packages and envelopes to the local FedEx or USPS, and would like to use the same bag for both pack-muling and carrying a change of clothes and laptop on my work commute.

Now, I have looked at dozens of manufacturers and tons of different bag designs, and while I've seen stuff I really like (PAC Designs stuff looks awesome... and awesomely expensive), I think I've narrowed it down to these two...

Chrome: Berlin
MissionWorkshop: The Shed

Both bags are pretty massive, have comfortable-looking strap systems, and come with lifetime warranties, but the question is... which one? Hopefully, someone here has used/tried both and can help me make my decision.

If there's another bag that seems to fit what I'm looking for, and you think I may have overlooked it, let me know! Especially if it's cheap!
Old 06-24-11, 05:35 PM
No Excuses

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If youre interested in something relatively inexpensive, I myself have been interested in getting a bag called the Timbuk2 Hemlock backpack. It's not a messenger back, but a rolltop backpack and it comes in a small and medium size.

https://www.ebags.com/product/timbuk2...uctid=10127198

$80 for the medium size. There is also a video on youtube which reviews it if you were curious about how the insides looked.
Old 06-24-11, 05:59 PM

Bikes: Custom Holland Ti road bike, Custom track bike I traded a painting for.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
chrome messenger bags are like a big flat envelope. don't get it.

Ode to the nap
The evil, evil nap
It lures
you succumb
But only with good intent
Shortly I will rise
But you do not.
Do not succumb
To the evil, evil nap
Old 06-24-11, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have only heard great things about Chrome bags.

I just got a large Manhatten Portage. It is an incredibly well made bagfor $60 with free shipping. (the shipping is fast..not 7-14 days like they say). These bags have an excellent reputation.

go here:

https://www.departmentofgoods.com/man...-messenger-bag
Old 06-24-11, 07:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looked at the manhattan portage bags, but the straps look super uncomfy (kinda like a laptop satchel... ick!), and the timbuk2 isn't water-resistant, so would suck for commuting (especially in FL, where it can be super sun-shiney then p!ss all over you in the span of 10mins.).
Old 06-24-11, 07:47 PM
Noob.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
what about burro bags? they are based out of jacksonville. i have one of their rolltops and its great!
Old 06-24-11, 08:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The hemlock is definitely water resistant. It may not be completely waterproof, but I've gotten it soaking wet before, like caught in a huge downpour and not a single item in the bag had a drop of water on it. Now, this could be complete luck, but it's happened a few times now, so my guess is that it's pretty water resistant. Though it doesn't shed water as well as a raincoat.
Old 06-24-11, 09:22 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terror_in_pink
chrome messenger bags are like a big flat envelope. don't get it.
problem? I've been using them for six years and they are incredibly well-built. Their design may not be for you but that doesn't make them "bad"
Old 06-24-11, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
they have a shoulder pad that is super padded if you needed it. I got one coming actually.
Old 06-24-11, 11:42 PM
No Excuses

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBikeRollsOn
The hemlock is definitely water resistant. It may not be completely waterproof, but I've gotten it soaking wet before, like caught in a huge downpour and not a single item in the bag had a drop of water on it. Now, this could be complete luck, but it's happened a few times now, so my guess is that it's pretty water resistant. Though it doesn't shed water as well as a raincoat.
This sounds good. It was definitely something I'm a bit concerned about but It's probably nothing a good poncho can't help.

And not to mention for the price, it seems like a steal
Old 06-25-11, 01:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't tried a Mission Workshop messenger bag, but I do have a Chrome Citizen. To be honest, though, if I were able to do my purchase all over again, I would probably buy a Mission Workshop backpack, because if I have enough stuff in my Chrome Citizen to fill it up, it's usually so heavy it hurts my shoulder a lot.
Old 06-25-11, 01:43 AM
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i can fit all of your family members, AND the machete in my rambler.

it's huge. i seriously don't think i could love a pack more than this. i want a rummy too but that's not because the rambler isn't perfect, it's because i like their other designs too.
Old 06-25-11, 02:43 AM

Bikes: IRO Mark V Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had my Chrome Metropolis for more than a year and I can attest to its durability and quality. Also, the bags are completely waterproof and has protected my belongings throughout the year in the Pacific NW.
Old 06-25-11, 04:27 AM

Bikes: Custom Holland Ti road bike, Custom track bike I traded a painting for.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hamish5178
problem? I've been using them for six years and they are incredibly well-built. Their design may not be for you but that doesn't make them "bad"
They're too flat. I like my bag more like a bag and less like an envelope. The quality is decent, the cut is not really my favorite. I really like Bailey works.

Ode to the nap
The evil, evil nap
It lures
you succumb
But only with good intent
Shortly I will rise
But you do not.
Do not succumb
To the evil, evil nap
Old 06-25-11, 05:57 AM

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP had said he's looking into buying the Chrome Berlin, which doesn't have the maligned envelope shape of other Chrome bags. That said I'd still go MW were I to buy a new bag. A LBS around here stocks Chrome and MW bags next to each other and the MW bags are way nicer.
Old 06-25-11, 08:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd look into Bagaboo Bags. Better at carrying packages than a Chrome, reasonably priced, and cheap custom options.

It uses a similar design on the sides as PAC which allows for a voluminous capacity for carrying larger items (ie: dead hookers). Compression straps on the bottom keep it tidy until you need the space.

I've had several Timbuk 2, PAC, and Chrome bags. Bagaboo for the win.

https://bagaboo.hu/
Old 06-25-11, 10:19 AM

Bikes: 96' lemond tourmalet, 11' leader 725tr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have a chrome berlin and i'd say if you're not getting the berlin go with MW. i've had the metropolis, the backbone, and the citizen and the only one I really like is the berlin. the others were big but if you actually filled them to their full capacity you'd be in severe pain. so yea, if you go with chrome, get the berlin, if not go with MW, they've got some sick ****
Old 06-25-11, 10:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Put my vote down for Mission Workshop. I've got the 'Rummy' size and it's huge, the Shed must be massive! I use it for a variety of purposes, including carrying multiple textbooks and my laptop computer around campus, grocery shopping, as luggage on short trips of a few days (I can fit multiple changes of clothes in it), and whatever else comes up. It's very well made and I've been caught in some heavy weather with sensitive items in it that came out perfectly dry. Reasonably priced for what you get, and the color customization options are nice.
Old 06-25-11, 04:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an extra Knog Pig Dog (brand new) that I'd sell you at a great price if you are interested.

It's an excellent, big, waterproof bag.
Old 06-25-11, 05:13 PM
So tragically hip.

Bikes: 2009 SE Premium Brew, 2001 GT Interceptor, 2010 Motobecane Fantom 29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can vouch for Chrome, I have a fully insulated Kremlin that works so wonderfully. I can pack it out with ice and ride around with a 30 rack of Pabst. This thing holds up to ANY abuse.

Manhattan Portage on the other hand isn't that great. My large bag is barely large enough to hold my laptop and books. Still, it's probably the cheapest option for a decent bag.
Old 06-25-11, 08:59 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anybody have any backpack recommendations for under $100? Rolltop is nice but not necessary.
Old 06-25-11, 09:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're going to be carrying a lot of stuff I'd consider a backpack. I have a MW vandal and I can carry huge loads relatively comfortably. I have yet to fill it up completely. I think the berlin looks nice too though

a decent cheap backpack is the banjo brothers one. I don't have any personal experience with it but i've heard good things about it, only $90 too.
Old 06-25-11, 10:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone has Chromes everywhereeeeeeee
Old 06-26-11, 08:37 AM
old legs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hamish5178
Anybody have any backpack recommendations for under $100? Rolltop is nice but not necessary.

I have the Timbuk2 Hemlock very comfortable though next time I will go custom because I want a bag that can carry a skateboard

Originally Posted by longjohns
what about burro bags? they are based out of jacksonville. i have one of their rolltops and its great!

what do you normally carry? what do you like/dislike about it
Old 06-26-11, 06:17 PM

Bikes: Litton, Gunnar, Iro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(comparatively) low cost backpack with comfort and decent capacity -> recommend Chrome Ranchero.

if you have the cash and want "the one bag" -> get the MW Vandal.

I have both, like both.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.