Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Manufacturers and Dealers

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-11, 12:12 PM

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh Sports Trek 8.4 DS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I recently decided I wanted to check out the KHS Green bicycle. I checked their site, found some local dealers and took a drive. None of the shops had a Green in stock, in fact, they had no KHS bicycles at all. They could order a Green for me, if I paid for it in advance. Since my intention to check one out before putting any money out, that's not something I want to do.
It's not just KHS either. I stopped by to see about a Schwinn model that's similar to the Green. The shop is named "XXXXX Schwinn". Nothing in there but Giant bikes. "Oh Schwinns aren't any good any more so I don't sell them." the owner told me. So why "XXXXX Schwinn"? It's like going to Acme Ford and finding a lot full of Dodges. Yet XXXXX is on the Schwinn website as a dealer.
Do the manufactirers actually check to see if the dealers they list on their websites actually carry any of their bikes?
Old 06-25-11, 01:14 PM

Bikes: Unidentifiable CX-based franken-commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes distributors supply multiple brands as package deals; a dealer must order from each brand A, B, and C. If bikes from Brand C aren't profitable in a given area, a dealer may only make a minimum qualifying order once a year (say, 3 bikes), and stock up mostly on A and B, so they effectively have no selection of Brand C.
I know that for a long time Giant manufactured bikes for Schwinn, I don't know to what extent that relationship continues now that Schwinn is a Pacific/Dorel holding.
Old 06-25-11, 01:45 PM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Best bet is to call ahead.

We are on the search for a new city bike for my son. Unfortunately he needs the XL sizing. He likes the looks of the Trek Belleville, so far we haven't found a dealer with ANY in stock. We are not about to plop down $700 for something that he hasn't at least had a chance to test ride. I have ordered the occasional bike sight unseen, but I have been riding for over 40 years and know what I like and don't like and by looking at equipment and geometry have a pretty good idea of how it will perform for me.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon