Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

I'm getting a chance to spec a build, wanting to know if this would be stupid or good

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

I'm getting a chance to spec a build, wanting to know if this would be stupid or good

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-11, 04:22 PM

Bikes: Had a Surly Cross Check - was totaled in recent accident. Sadly now just a Fuji Crosstown as a backup bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm starting with a 700c Long Haul trucker frame.

I want to have a wheelset built around velocity touring rims (chuker I believe) 36 spoke.

I want an IGH - for my budget the Shimano Alfine 8 or a Nexus 7 (I may lean toward the 7 for price)

Here is the part I'm wondering - what shifter do you use with the hub? Can you use some sort of 'bar end' or 'friction' style shifter.

Finally, on the front crank I'd like to run a compact double with a traditional front derailleur, so this would effectively give me 16 / 14 (depending on which hub I get) speeds, right? Would cross chaining be an issue? Also, are there issues with the Shimano Alfine on day to day commutes and pulling a slightly larger load (light touring / lots of loaded commute miles). I also live in a hilly area.

So tell me if my idea is stupid. The reason I'd love this hub is that I have to start stop often. The shifting while stopped would be great. Also, I understand that once the cables have stopped stretching, these things don't need alot of fiddling (which would be NICE). However given my hilly area, I'd like a something like a 46 / 30 up front.

Thanks for thoughts.

Last edited by episodic; 07-01-11 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-01-11, 04:31 PM

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by episodic
I'm starting with a 700c Long Haul trucker frame.

I want an IGH - for my budget the Shimano Alfine 8

Finally, on the front crank I'd like to run a compact double with a traditional front derailleur, so this would effectively give me 16 speeds, right?
You'll need a chain tensioner like this

https://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CFoQ8wIwAw

So tell me if my idea is stupid. The reason I'd love this hub is that I have to start stop often. The shifting while stopped would be great.
I have 24 traffic lights and 10 stop signs each direction on my commute. There's always enough warning to shift before stopping.

Also, I understand that once the cables have stopped stretching, these things don't need alot of fiddling (which would be NICE). However given my hilly area, I'd like a something like a 46 / 30 up front.
On my derailleur equipped bike I only need to adjust cable tension when replacing the inner cables every few years and the one time my front derailleur clamp wasn't tight enough and it slipped.

That's not really an improvement.
Old 07-01-11, 04:36 PM

Bikes: Had a Surly Cross Check - was totaled in recent accident. Sadly now just a Fuji Crosstown as a backup bike.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
You'll need a chain tensioner like this

https://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CFoQ8wIwAw

I have 24 traffic lights and 10 stop signs each direction on my commute. There's always enough warning to shift before stopping.

On my derailleur equipped bike I only need to adjust cable tension when replacing the inner cables every few years and the one time my front derailleur clamp wasn't tight enough and it slipped.

That's not really an improvement.
I wish I had your experience with derailleurs. I was always having to fiddle with it to keep the indexing working. I ended up switching to friction shifters even though I preferred indexing just to save myself the grief.
Old 07-01-11, 04:45 PM

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i've had a few years experience with a nexus 7 and found it to be a sound piece of equipment. i had a trigger shifter, and even though it worked flawlessly, was by all accounts one of the ugliest and cheapest looking things i've ever had on a bike since i was an adult. this was a while ago so things may have changed.

as noted there is plenty of time to downshift before stopping with a derailer equiped drivetrain, and i lived in a city (sacramento) with no other transportation other than my bike, but still found the ability shift while stopped to be extremely convenient. YMMV.

i'm a minimalist (some say simpleton...) so i wouldn't find the front derailer, cable, chain tensioner to be worth the bother, but many think otherwise... sounds workable though.

BTW that nexus 7 weighs a ton, but suppose you know that already.
Old 07-01-11, 05:09 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
There would be no "cross chaining" issue with a double, or even a triple, in front. You would not have the perfectly straight chainline IGH hubs are noted for in either chainring or just in the middle ring of a triple but the deviation won't be that much.