Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Buzz device

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Buzz device

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-11, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Buzz device

Got buzzed twice today, one guy went by me at about 45mph within one inch (actually felt the wind from the mirror on my arm).

I would love to have some sort of flexible pole sticking out (to the left) a foot from my bike with an orange flag and the tip of the pole should be barbed to scratch the paint of any vehicle the comes within a foot of me.
Old 07-02-11, 09:00 AM
eMail Sold to Spammers

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
There are these things I call "curb feelers" for cars that scrape the curb and let drivers know when they are close. They are about 6" long and flexible.

I don't know if you would want something like that on your bike. If a vehicle did pass close by and got their paint scratched, they would hear it and might think you scratched their paint on purpose. That could end up in a very bad situation.
Old 07-02-11, 04:35 PM
Charlotte, NC Commuter

Bikes: Gary Fisher Wahoo with Mammoth wheels

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This would not be a good idea. You probably ride the same road each day at approximately the same time. Therefore, you will be passed by the same cars. Once the guy figures out what you did he may try to throw something at you the next time or possibly something even worse.

Just ignore them or blow them a kiss (my personal favorites).

Ride safe,

Jeff
Old 07-02-11, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Isn't barbed to scratch the vehicle (which probably wouldn't be a good idea anyway), but this device will probably encourage drivers to pass with a little more clearance:
https://www.cycle9.com/c9store/access...lash-flag-p-34
It can be clipped out of the way when not in use (helpful when riding in a group).
Old 07-03-11, 09:54 AM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
just get a 1" pvc pipe and put it crosswise across your rear rack. Doesn't have to go out too far, 6" past your handlebars would be fine. I have found that when I'm riding with a frame on my rack I get a lot more room from motorists.
Old 07-03-11, 10:03 AM
Mirror slap survivor

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Flash Flag. I have to agree with the recommendation. When I ride my bike with the Flash Flag deployed, I get more room from motorists.
Old 07-04-11, 06:52 AM
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like to get a flashflag---I need to upgrade my fred factor.
Old 07-05-11, 02:51 PM

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gear

There is a reason that the other new englanders refer to drivers with Mass plates as M*******s.
Old 07-05-11, 03:47 PM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sauerwald
Gear

There is a reason that the other new englanders refer to drivers with Mass plates as M*******s.
Sorry but I live in an area where a lot of out of staters' visit, the cager in question had PA plates.
Old 07-06-11, 10:31 AM
a.k.a., Point Five Dude

Bikes: 1987 Trek Elance 400 T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
just get a 1" pvc pipe and put it crosswise across your rear rack. Doesn't have to go out too far, 6" past your handlebars would be fine. I have found that when I'm riding with a frame on my rack I get a lot more room from motorists.
depending on how that's attached to your rack you could effectively turn the bike into a giant slingshot, with you being the stone.
Old 07-06-11, 11:12 AM

Bikes: Karate Monkey, Trucker Deluxe, Brompton, Pugsley, Trek Transport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been wearing a neon green hi-vis lightweight vest for the past 2yrs rather religiously during my commute, as part of my ride is on the side of a 6-lane state highway (wide gutter but no shoulder) for a few miles. Traffic has been quite generous with the amount of room they give. Until this past 3-day holiday weekend when I forgot the vest at work. I noticed a lot more close calls Friday on the way home, and Tuesday on the way in when I wasn't wearing the vest. Everything went back to normal Tuesday after work and this (Wednesday) morning while again wearing the vest. I didn't notice the difference until the Tuesday ride in ---- then it all clicked. Unless my mind is playing tricks on me, the vest isn't just for peace of mind, but measurably makes the ride safer.
Old 07-06-11, 12:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to ride with a police/marching-band whistle in my mouth. It works, but it also makes your ears ring. Very loud.
Old 07-06-11, 01:54 PM
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I got buzzed last week during one of my morning commutes. The guy turned left just a little bit after, onto a dead end street, so I decided to follow him. I literally had to wait for him to turn, that's how close he was to turning when he buzzed me. He stopped to mail a letter requiring him to exit his vehicle. When I pulled up along side, I asked him if he could give me more room when he passed. I made of point of being calm and polite.

He was clearly agitated, and told me that he can't cross the double yellow line. I replied, "C'mon man, you have to use some common sense". He had only to wait for 2 oncoming cars to have nearly the whole 2 lane roadway.

He then insisted that it is against the law to cross the doulbe yellow line, to which I replied, "There is no law that says you have to pass".

Then he told me that bikes shouldn't be on the road, that we aren't licensed. Ironically, he had just passed a Share the Road sign, complete with a picture of a bicycle. I told him that I was legally entitled to the road.

At some point I said, "You just don't give a damn about a person's safety, do you?". He insisted that no, he didn't give a damn. He actually repeated it, so I know I didn't misunderstand him.

All along this conversation got more and more heated, until we ended up just calling each other dumb ass.

So, I don't know what to tell you. Even if you get a chance to talk to some drivers, their steadfast ignorance is impenetrable with any common sense or citing of law.
Old 07-06-11, 02:59 PM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
At least he was honest. Most people woudn't come right out and admit that they are so self centered that they couldn't be bothered with someone else's safety.

I also think you deserve credit for self control. If I was face to face with someone who treated my life so carelessly and then explained that he didn't care, I'm pretty sure I would have lost it.
Old 07-06-11, 03:00 PM
Mirror slap survivor

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scroca
I got buzzed last week during one of my morning commutes. The guy turned left just a little bit after, onto a dead end street, so I decided to follow him. I literally had to wait for him to turn, that's how close he was to turning when he buzzed me. He stopped to mail a letter requiring him to exit his vehicle. When I pulled up along side, I asked him if he could give me more room when he passed. I made of point of being calm and polite.

He was clearly agitated, and told me that he can't cross the double yellow line. I replied, "C'mon man, you have to use some common sense". He had only to wait for 2 oncoming cars to have nearly the whole 2 lane roadway.

He then insisted that it is against the law to cross the doulbe yellow line, to which I replied, "There is no law that says you have to pass".

Then he told me that bikes shouldn't be on the road, that we aren't licensed. Ironically, he had just passed a Share the Road sign, complete with a picture of a bicycle. I told him that I was legally entitled to the road.

At some point I said, "You just don't give a damn about a person's safety, do you?". He insisted that no, he didn't give a damn. He actually repeated it, so I know I didn't misunderstand him.

All along this conversation got more and more heated, until we ended up just calling each other dumb ass.

So, I don't know what to tell you. Even if you get a chance to talk to some drivers, their steadfast ignorance is impenetrable with any common sense or citing of law.
Much as I hate to say it, some people just need a good old fashioned beating.
Old 07-06-11, 03:14 PM

Bikes: giant revel 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bad idea I think.

That happens to me to a lot on 40 mph roads. One guy a month or so ago hit me 25 feet from a stop sign knocked me off my bike Lucky I was wearing a helmet. I had just bought my new giant I was super mad. Then the guy drive off. Bent my seatpost tore up a grip, messed up my helmet, bent my seat. strached my knee and my elbow. I couldn't get his plate number sucks. I would really like to get that driver off the road.

But I think if you had those sticking out from your bike, that might help but what if someone hit one of them anyways and they get ripped off your bike. Or they might rip you off your bike. Don't really know what works cuz they still drive really close to me everyday. so if sometthing works then let me know. If I find something to I'll let you know. Thanks.
Old 07-06-11, 04:10 PM
One Man Fast Brick

Bikes: Specialized Langster, Bianchi San Jose, early 90s GT Karakoram, Yuba Mundo, Mercier Nano (mini velo), Nashbar Steel Commuter, KHS Tandemania Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
u-lock justice

If that is not to your liking, then I recommend the following comments:

"Just follow the f-ing law please". "If you don't want to follow the law, then please get out of this state/country and go live somewhere they don't care about the law".

This will usually get them riled up and you can expand about how they are breaking the law.

If all this fails and they get physical with you - u-lock justice.
Old 07-06-11, 04:46 PM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I just love how the only options that cross many drivers' minds are

A) Cross center line and hit oncoming cars
B) Stay in lane and hit cyclist

and option C) Slow the phrack down and wait your damned turn, never crosses their mind.
Old 07-06-11, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by yep202
Bad idea I think. ...

But I think if you had those sticking out from your bike, that might help but what if someone hit one of them anyways and they get ripped off your bike. Or they might rip you off your bike.
The Flash Flag commercial device that I linked to above is spring-loaded so if hit it'll just bend out of the way and is hardly noticeable to the rider.
Old 07-07-11, 08:04 AM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not that it will necessarily prevent people from buzzing me (unless they notice it), but here's part of my new video project. I present to you, the Close Call Cam: A Twenty20 VholdR on a modified Contour HD goggle strap mount, rear facing and bolted at bumper height on my traffic-side pannier.