Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

North of Baltimore

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

North of Baltimore

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-11, 11:02 PM
Very Verbose Member

Bikes: Surly Troll, Commencal Meta Power 29 Signature, old Specialized Hard Rock electrified, several restomod Schwinns, Biria Easy Board, Worksman trike electrified

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
North of Baltimore

Hey, this is Mike, or xrayzebra, xray for short, from Monkton, MD - north of Baltimore and Towson. I live just a few miles from the Monkton parking area of NCR trail. I recently came back to biking after many wasted years of not biking. If there are any other slugs who enjoy a leisurely pace up toward PA and back, and who'd also enjoy some company, drop me a PM. I've been biking alone, cuz I don't really know anybody who bikes except for a couple of guys who ride for speed, and who I'd never keep up with.

I'm normally riding a Dahon Speed TR, but I'm in the market for a new full sized bike at present. I've been shopping local stores to figure out who I want to do business with, and thinking I'll have to special order what I want, so I might as well decide on a shop as well as a bike.

Nobody locally seems to stock what I want - probably an Alfine 8 or 11 speed internal hub bike, but I started a new thread on that already. With such a great, easy trail nearby, I'd just like to get a very solid commuter and maybe put some slightly fatter tires on it.

The NCR is absolutely great for my purposes, but I'd be interested to hear of other places to ride that don't involve automobiles. I kayak a little bit as well.

My wife is an artist, a painter, so we hang out with a bunch of other artists, photographers, and so on. We live in the boonies, but we get down into Baltimore for arts events from time to time. I have a very small, very specialized multifamily real estate management consulting firm I run from my basement, but which involves travel all over the country.

I'm a total internet junkie, with years of involvement in different kinds of forums. The wife and I met in an alt.usenet newsgroup about alien abduction when I was still using DOS and a 14.4 baud dial up connection, if that gives you any clue as to age and nerdiness. In my defense, though, at that time there was nothing at all on the internet BUT newsgroups about aliens, so don't judge me on that! I like nice knives, guns, bikes, music, most of the arts except dance... sorry... don't get it. Oh yeah, and BEER. mmmm, beer.
Old 07-07-11, 12:37 AM
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hello Mike, welcome to Bike Forums.

A word about PMs: we had to adopt a 50 posts minimum rule before you can send any PMs. So, people can PM you but you will not be able to reply until you have 50 posts here. See this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...4-Sending-PM-s

You can post on other members' Visitor Messages in their profile page though, so you can use that to set up rides. Just click their username and select "View Profile".

--Juha, a Forum Mod

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 07-07-11, 04:33 AM
Very Verbose Member

Bikes: Surly Troll, Commencal Meta Power 29 Signature, old Specialized Hard Rock electrified, several restomod Schwinns, Biria Easy Board, Worksman trike electrified

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for alerting me to this, Juha. Believe me, it won't take long for me to be at 50 posts. Or 500. In the meanwhile, anyone can reply here.
Old 07-07-11, 07:22 AM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc, Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forums!
Old 07-07-11, 01:57 PM

Bikes: 04' Trek 7200 Multitrack; 2019 Trek FX 3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the forums Mike!
Old 07-07-11, 02:30 PM
Very Verbose Member

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks, folks.