Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trying to decide: Trek DS 8.2, Trek 7.2 FX, or Specialized Ariel

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-11, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am newly returning to biking after many years and need a new bike. I'm currently riding my husband's old mt bike but want a hybrid. We're training for a 2-day, 100 mile charity ride that will be on a mostly flat, packed gravel path. Aside from that, most of my riding will be paved trails or packed dirt trails. I'm definitely not an adventurous rider so won't be doing any serious off-road stuff. I've ridden Trek DS 8.2, Trek 7.2 FX, and Specialized Ariel and am unsure how to choose. Any input??

Thanks!
Old 07-08-11, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife has the Ariel step-thru, and she loves it. Those are the same riding conditions that we do. It handles dirt trails well.

I think specialized should start paying me for all this advertising.
Old 07-10-11, 02:02 PM
tbo

Bikes: 2018 Trek FX7.3

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have the 7.2FX. Great all-around bike. The lack of front suspension and slightly thinner tires on the FX means its faster, but can be a fairly stiff ride. I have noticed some minor vibrations radiating from the bike to my forearms. A decent pair of gloves and grips fixes that completely. The DS 8.3 and the Ariel will take care of the vibrations, but you pay for it by having the suspension travel when pedaling all the time.

In the three years and 5K miles on the FX, the only things that I have had to change for comfort were the seat (bike saddle neuropathy problem, pretty common to have to change out seat) and the grips (went to non-round ones). Other than that, it's been get on it and ride.

These are three very good bikes. You really can't go that wrong. The main difference is suspension or not. Suspension indicates more off-road comfort and stability, No suspension indicates more on-road speed and handling. So, think how you are going to ride, and go from there!

Last edited by tbo; 07-10-11 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-10-11, 03:53 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Scott_TN
My wife has the Ariel step-thru, and she loves it. Those are the same riding conditions that we do. It handles dirt trails well.

I think specialized should start paying me for all this advertising.
Well, somebody has to keep the Trek Taxpayers in check

@the OP- if at all possible, take each one out for an extended test ride on your intended riding surfaces. I know, most shops only allow the ol' parking lot test ride. But, it won't hurt to ask, especially if you were to leave a credit card as collateral to ensure your return.