Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Mountain - Plains
Reload this Page >

Omaha area bike shop recommendation?

Notices
Mountain - Plains Colorado | Kansas | Missouri | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Old 07-08-11, 06:04 AM
Two Wheeled Truth Seeker

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Crossroads Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just moved to Omaha area from California's Central Coast and looking for recommendations for a good LBS to take care of my commuter (movers weren't especially careful with any of my stuff - certainly not my ride). Forum search only turned up one thread that was four years old. Checked Yelp, but thought I'd ask folks who really know. Actually living in Papillion, but quality/friendliness of the shop is more important than location. Would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-08-11, 11:20 AM

Bikes: 2011 trek xo1, 1999 specialized hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been very happy w/ Papillion Trek store. Friendly & knowledgeable staff... https://trekbicyclestores.com/storelo...apillion-1.htm
Old 07-13-11, 08:42 AM

Bikes: Waterford 1200, Raleigh Record converted to a single speed, Citizen folding bike, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm also impressed with True Wheel in downtown Council Bluffs. A bit of a drive for you, but good folks. Small shop, but very knowledgeable and friendly.
Old 07-13-11, 01:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been very impressed with The Bike Way (151st & Industrial) and The Bike Rack (144th & Maple). They've both been great.
Old 07-15-11, 11:16 PM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport, Kona Kahuna 29er, Santa Cruz Nickel 650b, Cannondale CAAD 10

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The guys at The Bike Way are awesome, they are the only place I will take my bikes. Most shops in town seem to specialize in one area but they can and do do everything. They don't want to just work on your bike they also want to be your friend too, just great guys!
Old 07-20-11, 12:21 PM
Two Wheeled Truth Seeker

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Crossroads Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input! Now that the house is finally unpacked it's time to get the ride tuned up and start pedaling!
Old 08-17-11, 02:04 PM

Bikes: Trek Belleville, Workcycles opa, Schwinn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
As your talking a commuter bicycle the best people to talk to is at greenstreet in north downtown Omaha. Outside of them in my experience your mainly looking at recreational cyclists. Commuter cycling is a whole different thing and really needs it's own shops with people that understand bicycle commuting.
Old 08-31-11, 05:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Rack is good, but it is kind of far from you. There is a recycled bike store in downtown called re-cycle that seems good too.
Old 10-03-11, 04:41 PM

Bikes: trek 1600, bianchi san jose, Fisher Cronus Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Masters. They're at 120th and Fort so not close, but I live in Bellevue and its the only place I take my bikes to be worked on. They do a lot of fun rides as well. Find them on Facebook.
Old 11-22-11, 09:00 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
+1 on Bikemasters... you can ride there from the Blondo St exit of the Big Papio Trail. They have nice wine-beertasting/food rides periodically too. I do not live near them but I wish I did. The Bike Way is not a bad shop either though they heavily favor the Specialized brand....which isn't so bad of course.

Last edited by billydonn; 01-18-12 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-14-12, 10:23 AM

Bikes: Davinci MTB Giant Advanced Defy 3 Jamis Renegade Escapade Framed Wolftrax

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greenstreet is definitely the place for commuters due to their knowledgeable staff and downtown location. Either Trek location is pretty good. The owner, Kent McNeill, is one of the best advocates of cycling in the area. The Bike Rack has a large selection, but is seems like I don't get the personal attention that I get at other area shops. I lived in Council Bluffs for 5 years and really enjoyed going there. They just moved to a new location in downtown Council Bluffs.

My personal vote would have to be Bike Masters. Like mentioned above they have a lot of great weekly rides, winter indoor cycling, and events. Great staff and service. If they don't have what you are looking for, they will do what it takes to get it for you.

Hopefully you have been commuting since your move and noticed some of the strides Omaha has taken in improving its cycling infrastructure. If you have an interest, I would recommend getting involved with the local organizations that are trying to help with these improvements such as Omaha Bikes https://bikeomaha.blogspot.com/. There is a lot of great info on the website and you can be involved as little or as much as you'd like.

Welcome to the area and good luck!
Old 02-07-12, 10:47 PM

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
As you can see there are many nice bike shops in the Omaha area, I like Olympia Cycle, it has been around for a long time and I seem to be able to find hard-to-find items. I do my own maintenance so I don't need a bike shop except for some vintage tools. I was overhauling a 70's bike this winter and needed to remove an old Milliard freewheel. Well Olympia has the proper cog tool for this. Or I am looking at repacking the bottom bracket on the same bike, this bike has a cottered crank, they have the proper tools to work on the older bikes.