Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Trenton NJ to Central Park, NYC

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-11, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

First post here

I'm thinking of biking from NJ to NYC with a 1970's Schwinn Sprint... not really a touring bike..but that's besides the point

I'm not sure if anyone has done a similar route, from central NJ to NYC?

I was thinking of riding the D&R canal up to Elizabeth, take the Goenthals Bridge, then the Bayonne Bridge, then ride up through Jersey City and cross the GW Bridge, then ride back down on south on the NYC side to Central Park.

I'm not sure if there is a better way to do it... for some reason Google Maps does not like me going over the Goenthals Bridge on a bike... but there is a sidewalk, yes?

If anyone has any experience with rides from NJ to NYC, could you please give me some pointers and tips?

Thanks so much
Old 07-12-11, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Goethals bridge is no longer an option. Ride to Newark and take Path to New York City. The bike path they are building to cross Newark into Jersey City will be complete later this year.
Old 07-12-11, 08:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Just out of curiosity, why is the Goenthals bridge a no-go?

Also, that new bike path you talked about, is there a website that tracks the progress of the construction? Is there a name for that trail?

Thanks
Old 07-13-11, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18413 Post(s)
Liked 15,536 Times in 7,328 Posts
Originally Posted by dzwestwindsor
Thanks for the reply.

Also, that new bike path you talked about, is there a website that tracks the progress of the construction? Is there a name for that trail?

Thanks
You can also go into Hoboken and ride one of the ferries to NYC:

https://www.nywaterway.com/

Nicer views than PATH. Note that the only weekend service from Hoboken is from the 14th St. dock to Midtown. You can then ride the path along the Hudson if you so desire.

I can give you a link to a route from New Hope, PA/Lambertville, NJ to Hoboken if you would like. It's about 90 miles. It can only be ridden on a weekend because it goes through the Port of Elizabeth & Newark. If you are intent on ride from Trenton, you could take the D&R Canal Path from Trenton to Lambertville. Alternatively, you could register for the New Hope-Brooklyn ride run by the Bicycle Club of Philadelphia. It's the Sunday before Labor Day and uses the route mentioned above:

https://phillybikeclub.org/newbcp/eve...cridemain.html
Old 07-14-11, 11:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking of riding the D&R canal up to Elizabeth...
The D&R Canal will only get you as far as New Brunswick, where it reaches the Raritan River. You could take Route 27 North from there, as I did 29 years ago to finish a 6-week tour that had included New England, eastern Canada, and upstate New York. It's not scenic, and there's a lot of traffic, but it will get you where you are going, and I don't know of a good cycling route through that area. The alternative is to get county maps for Middlesex, Union, and perhaps Essex and Hudson Counties, and choose whichever secondary roads look interesting to you. For the most part, they will be lined with housing developments, retail stores, and here and there with manufacturing plants.
Old 07-15-11, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Thanks for the reply.

Thanks
The Goethals bike path has been closed for years and will not open. There is no way you can cross into Staten Island from New Jersey. I suppose you can hitch hike if the bike is a folder.

The new bike Path will not be complete and is only half finished. You can catch the path from Lincoln Park in Jersey city but it stops halfway. You still have to cross a very dangerous interchange with the NJ Turnpike! Forget the idea since it won't be completed until winter. PLease take the PATH train!
Old 07-15-11, 07:01 PM

Bikes: Old Cannondales: '85 ST400, '85 ST500, '85 SR900, '01 R600 CAAD4

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I did the reverse route, going from NYC to Philly via Trenton. Between Newark and Princeton we found the East Coast Greenway (ECG) to be, for the most part, well-marked, and it took us on nice, quiet roads. There were a few exceptions with missing signs and interim routes on busy roads, but it was quite nice. Take some maps and cue sheets and you'll be set. (Not to mention better prepared...we had no cue sheets and just one iPhone. Whoops! )

Trenton to Princeton along the canal is great, and you should be fine on your Schwinn as long as you're not gunning it and giving yourself plenty of time.

PATH from Newark is a very good option, but it *is* possible to go from Newark up to the GWB if you're really determined. It'll get a bit hilly on that section.
Old 07-19-11, 06:17 AM

Bikes: Burley Tandem

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
How about cross-state to the Henry Hudson trail out of Freehold? The Henry will take you all the way up to Atlantic Highlands where you can catch a ferry to NYC. Unlike the D&R the Henry Hudson trail is paved so you won't get dusty.

Last edited by DCwom; 07-19-11 at 06:34 AM.
Old 07-20-11, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
There is no way you can cross into Staten Island from New Jersey.
Minor quibble, the Bayonne Bridge has an open walkway. Could be interesting to get there, but you can cross into Staten Island, bike to St. George, and take the Staten Island Ferry to Manhattan.

If it were me, though, I'd bike to Atlantic Highlands and take the ferry from there. The biking's nicer when you get away from the US 1 corridor.
Old 07-20-11, 12:20 PM

Bikes: Vitus 979, KHS Montana Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike to Highlands and take the ferry to Manhattan and you get to avid the North Jersey traffic and road side debris.