Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Is this Vintage 19" Supra Road Bike worth $200?

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 07-13-11, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
I'm still on the hunt for a decent bike that fits and has a nice vintage look to it. I like the stem shifters and top brakes so I am considering buying this Supra but I wanted to ask a few questions. Does it seem worth the price? $200 might be a lot if fixing the brakes is expensive. Anyone know how much I might have to pay to get the brakes fixed up? And one more, does the top tube look kind of long? It seems a little long to me but maybe it's just the picture. Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

btw; I'm 5'2, female & have an inseam of 29.

Here is the Craigslist Link: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/2492374275.html
Old 07-13-11, 07:52 PM

Bikes: 1973 Peugeot UE-8, 1985 Schwinn Voyageur, 2010 Trek 1.2, 2012 Bianchi Siempre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its tough to say what's wrong with the brakes without actually seeing them. Best I can do is give you some things to look for when you go view the bike:

1. Specifically, which brake is "broken"? Is there any sign of physical damage?
2. Are they really "broken", or does the bike simply have poor stopping (replace brake pads and/or adjust brake tension)
3. Does one side of the "broken" brake always rub against the tire? (adjust mounting bolt and lubricate springs)

So, it could be anything from simple adjustments ($12) to replacing all cables and pads ($35) to replacing one of the brakes entirely ($40-ish).