Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Which bike is better? (First Post)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-11, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone! Brand new to the site and cycling. I am looking to pick up a used bike from Craigslist to make sure this something I enjoy and want to keep up with before dropping all the money on a good bike. I am interested in road cycling and touring mainly, but I'll take things one step at a time. Here's the bikes I am looking at, and I'd love your experienced input on how these bikes look, as well as their quality of components (because I sure don't have a clue!).

The first bike is a Trek 1400 Aluminum Frame Bike. Here is a link to the info about the bike.

https://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/B...1400&Type=bike

The current issue is it doesn't shift. The shifting cables were very loose when I went to look at it, and both myself and the current owner suspect that is why, but neither of us know for sure. It is otherwise in good condition, fits me splendidly, and rides very well (besides the shifting). The rear brake could probably use a tune-up or something. It brakes, just not as responsively as the front. It is listed for $200. Do you think this is a decent buy? I know the adjustment/repairs for the shifting issues will cost something, just not sure what.

The other bike I am looking at is a Vintage Peugeot 12 Speed Racing Bike circa 1986. It is a PH 10 LE bike, and here is a little info snippit. https://mysite.verizon.net/vzerndgo/s...tropeugeot.jpg

In the post, it says, "HLE Tubing, Forged Dropouts, Nervar Crank, Maillard Helico Matic quick release hubs, etc.." in regards to the components. I haven't seen it in person yet, so no more information to report there. It is listed for $99.

What are your thoughts and recommendations? Anything to help a newbie would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Old 07-14-11, 08:39 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Moving to Classic and Vintage.

Old 07-14-11, 08:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Moving to Classic and Vintage.
I'm sorry, but huh??
Old 07-14-11, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Neither bike would be ideal to carry a load, but the Peugeot would be more appealing from a C&V point of view. The aluminum Trek is nice, just nothing special.
Old 07-14-11, 09:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C&V? (Sorry, haven't learned all the lingo and acronyms yet.) And if I do do any touring or overnight rides, I'll be using my backpacking gear. I'm an ultralighter, so my gear without food and water weighs between 8 and 10 pounds or so. I know the road bikes aren't idea for it, but I could probably get everything into a small saddle bag for a summer overnighter.
Old 07-14-11, 09:18 PM
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by stefprez
I'm sorry, but huh??
This is the land of misfits, where all the questions about old bikes go.

The Trek is probably a fine bike. If, as rothenfield1 mentions, you plan on loaded touring, probably not an ideal frame, but it all depends on your definition of touring.

With any used bike that's in need of repair, figure at least $50 if you do the work yourself, or upwards of $100-200 at a bike shop depending on the extent of service needed.

My hunch is, because the shifters on the Trek are STI, they may be gummed up. Usually, that's an problem easily fixed by flushing with WD-40. You can look that up. On the rear brake problem, do you mean the rim was rubbing on the brake pads? If so, it's likely the wheel is out of true. Needs a truing. If you find yourself riding a lot, you may eventually need to replace the wheels. I've ridden on wheels that came to me pretty far out of true, and it wasn't long before spokes started popping, even after I trued them up (for reference, I'm about 185, so if you're lighter might not be a problem).

If you can get the Trek for $150 then spend a couple hundred dollars, you're still ahead of the game.

Peugeot is likely a bit heavier, but yes it does have more C&V appeal, if that means anything to you. Some people dislike helicomatic hubs, so you'd want to investigate that. My suspicion is that the Trek will feel faster, which doesn't mean it is in the long run, but you'll have to ride the Peugeot to determine that for yourself.

Fit is also important, so figure out what size frame you need first.
Old 07-14-11, 09:19 PM
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by stefprez
C&V? (Sorry, haven't learned all the lingo and acronyms yet.) And if I do do any touring or overnight rides, I'll be using my backpacking gear. I'm an ultralighter, so my gear without food and water weighs between 8 and 10 pounds or so. I know the road bikes aren't idea for it, but I could probably get everything into a small saddle bag for a summer overnighter.
Most any bike would work, then.
Old 07-14-11, 09:20 PM

Bikes: Surly Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C&V = Classic & Vintage. As far as light-touring, any ol' bike is fine. A nice saddle bag generally does more than you need for overnighters or even ultralight weekends. Neither cycle is really set up for touring, so you'd be relying on what you could get in a saddle bag and maybe a handlebar bag (think decaleur in the brake boss + rando bar bag). Find something *you* like, and go from there. If down the road you decide you need something that will take a rack (and not potentially destroy the bike by loading it down), you can get something different. The other option (which, I, myself, oppose) is a trailer behind anything. Most here on C&V will agree that you would be best with a rando/light-tourer, but I am one to defy most logic and go with the most difficult set-up possible.
Old 07-14-11, 09:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahh, moved to a different thread. Sorry about the incorrect placement! Newbie mistake.

Right after I posted this thread, I got an email about the Peugeot. He said he has someone coming to look at it Saturday, and if the deal falls through, he'd let me know.

To elaborate more on the breaks, they didn't seem misaligned or anything (but I'm a novice here, so I'll be the first to say I have no idea what I'm really talking about), they just felt sorta soft. Had to squeeze more/harder to get the same braking power compared to the front brakes. They still worked though, enough for me to feel safe riding it without addressing the issue, but obviously not ideal.

I looked to see if anything looked horribly wrong with the drivetrain, but didn't see anything major. The entire assembly could definitely use a nice cleaning and then probably a good lube after, but the bike rode very smoothly. I was in my local bike shop earlier today trying some new road bikes, and it felt very comparable. Surprisingly so for the price difference.

The Peugeot is somewhere around 3 lbs heavier according to the spec sheets, but that doesn't concern me too much. Also, the C&V value of the Peugeot makes no difference to me. I just want something that will hopefully last me long enough to feel justified in getting a new bike eventually, knowing that it is an activity I enjoy and will stick with. I will see if I can barter with the Trek down to $150. If so, I will definitely take it. We will wait and see if the Peugeot sells as well. If it does, then it looks like the decision is made for me! Hahahaha

Thanks for all the help so far!