Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

My NYC Ride

Old 07-17-11, 02:41 PM
Not so Senior Member

Bikes: Simoncini SS, Trek Al/CA, Jamis HT, Cannondale Rush 5Z

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My NYC Ride

I took the LIRR into Woodside and rode from there throughout Astoria towards the Triborough Bridge. Up and over the bridge - annoying steps; amazing vistas - and down onto Randalls/Ward Island. Definitely worthwhile to explore, particularly the waterfront on the East/Harlem River side.
Up and over the pedestrian bridge and ambled over to 110th street and the top of Central Park. Enjoyed a few laps in the park, along with every possible combination of runner, cyclist, walker, juggler, skater, and tourist. All good.
Off to the west side bike path and all the way down to the battery. So much to see. Some highlights: free kayaking; trapeze lessons; bikes everywhere, every type; parks; bustling financial area, and a packed Battery.
In the Battery and off to Governors Island. If you haven't done this ride, do it. Free ferry, and VERY bike friendly. Once on the island you can get around in a short time or take your time and relax and explore.
Back to Manhattan and up to the Brooklyn bridge, and then over to McSorley's for one light and one dark, and then up Third to 35th and over to 7th for the LIRR back home.

All in all, an amazing day. Great to explore the different parts of this amazing city and to do it on a bike. Thanks New York!
Old 07-17-11, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Indeed. I rode yesterday also via Throgs Neck from Great Neck to 122nd/Riverside Dr to join NYCC ride and returned same way. Very clean roadway on Queens span; less so the Manhattan span. Triboro is a great way to get from Queens to an uptown location. Only weakness may be signage directing cyclists to the Manhattan span.
Old 07-26-11, 08:08 PM

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Jamis Aurora Elite, Specialized Globe since 2007

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really enjoy riding around New York City. I grew up in Staten Island but never learned to bike until four years ago in Boston where I now live. NYC has made some significant investments in bike lanes and paths in recent years, making it easy to tour by bike. The only problem is getting the bike there!