Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Eastern Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto to Niagara Falls - Return by GO Train - August 6

Notices
Eastern Canada New Brunswick | Newfoundland and Labrador | Nova Scotia | Ontario | Prince Edward Island | Quebec

Old 07-18-11, 07:11 PM

Bikes: Javelin Garda

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One-way ride to Niagara Falls with return by GO Train. Optional escarpment climb and descent. Return via GO Train at 7:20 pm (check GO schedule online before leaving Toronto.) This ride is most suitable for TBN classified "Tourists" and "Sportif", but is open to anyone who wishes to join. Check tbn.ca August 5 in case of cancellation due to rain.
Meet for a 9:00 am departure on the NW corner of Queen's Quay and York Street.

Look here for map, but I will also have copies at start.

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view...pen_ive_done=1

Though we will start as a group, we will probably break up into smaller groups as the ride progresses.
Old 07-27-11, 11:41 AM

Bikes: BMC Racemaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This ride looks interesting but I'm curious as to how it is run.

Is it a all out ride from TO - NF?
Do you break into groups depending on speeds and what speeds are they?
Resupply of water?

Things like that.
Old 07-31-11, 11:22 PM
DessertS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They say they're leaving at 9am and returning via GO train by 7:20, so I say they're averaging about 20km/h or so (rough estimation). Here's exactly what they wrote:

'Third annual one-way ride to Niagara Falls with return by GO Train. Optional escarpment climb and descent. Return via GO Train at 7:20 pm (check schedule online before leaving Toronto.) This ride is most suitable for Tourists and Sportif, but is open to anyone who wishes to join. Check TBN website August 5 in case of cancellation due to rain. Meet for a 9:00 am departure on the NW corner of Queen's Quay and York Street.'

According to this:
https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view...pen_ive_done=1

They're eating at the 80km mark, and if going at 20km/h, they'll be eating within 4 hours. I usually eat by the 3rd hour, so this might be a problem. And they're having water at the 38km, 55km, 110km, and the 130km mark.

Go train seems to be a $18ish fee going back. I wonder if a round trip is possible (probably not, almost died on a 80km round trip -160km total- to Hamilton last time)

Seems like you're the coordinated, so any extra words on the past experience, age group (yes it matters), people being dropped, etc, would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.tbn.ca/cycling/shaug.htm
But wow, there's a lot of organized groups, I should start showing up to some.

Last edited by Kurogashi; 07-31-11 at 11:53 PM.
Old 08-01-11, 03:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a TBN official ride, but is not supported, so you must supply or purchase your own food/drink, and make sure you have spare tube, pump, etc...
For some of the riders, its a bit of a training ride at fast speeds, for others it more of a leisurely but long ride.
The ride will break up relatively early into sub-groups, based on speed, but hard to say exactly when and how many in each. You'll likely find a few people to ride with and coordinate riding together.
I will hand out maps at the start, which will actually include directions much easier to follow than the link to mapmyride, which is just a general view of roads we will take. The map will also explain how to get to the restaurant and the Go station.
You can have lunch wherever and whenever you like (e.g.: Burlington would be a good spot for some), however, the fast group will make it to the 80k mark for lunch.

Faster riders will get to NF between 3 and 4, take a quick look at The Falls, and then head over to Applebee's Restaurant for dinner between 5 and 530, which leaves ample time to get to the GO station by 720 (but please check the GO sched Friday, just in case). For those that do not make it all the way to NF for some reason, best to head straight to train station and find somewhere along way to pick up food. Or, there is a 10pm (or so) train back as well, if you wish to stay later.
Hope that answers most of the question, hope to see you there Saturday, but one more thing.....
Check the TBN website Friday night, just in case the ride is cancelled due to rain on Saturday.
Old 08-01-11, 07:32 PM
DessertS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cool, thanks for the reply. One more question, how many people are usually expected to show up?
Old 08-01-11, 07:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kurogashi
Cool, thanks for the reply. One more question, how many people are usually expected to show up?
no idea. Two years ago, about a dozen, last year about 16-18. This year I heard from many newcomers that hope to attend, so could be 10, 20, 30, 40....hard to say.
Old 08-03-11, 12:06 PM

Bikes: BMC Racemaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for more info Cdn Guy.

Originally Posted by Cdn Guy
This is a TBN official ride, but is not supported, so you must supply or purchase your own food/drink, and make sure you have spare tube, pump, etc...

For some of the riders, its a bit of a training ride at fast speeds, for others it more of a leisurely but long ride.
The ride will break up relatively early into sub-groups, based on speed, but hard to say exactly when and how many in each. You'll likely find a few people to ride with and coordinate riding together.
Makes perfect sense.

Faster riders will get to NF between 3 and 4, take a quick look at The Falls, and then head over to Applebee's Restaurant for dinner between 5 and 530, which leaves ample time to get to the GO station by 720 (but please check the GO sched Friday, just in case).
Am I right to think you mean 3 and 4pm and not 3 and 4 hours with that comment.

So a 3pm arrival with no break = 6 hours = 25kph
Or a 3pm arrival with a 1hr break(s) = 30kph

Another question.

Do you guys just sit around in your cycling kit for dinner and on the train?

I'm trying to free up my schedule as it sounds like a good ride to be a part of. Hopefully I can make it.
Old 08-03-11, 09:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes, fast group will arrive between 3-4pm because their moving speed is about 30kph, or even higher, and total route is about 150-155k.
Unfortunately, we do sit around in our kits after the ride......unless you know some poor sap willing to transport a change of clothes to NF for us
Old 08-04-11, 07:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the weather forecast for Saturday is erratic, so check back here Friday night, just in case the ride is cancelled. For those that want to ride regardless of rain, here is a link to the map with simplified turns (mapmyride turns are too cumbersome to follow)
https://cycleclubsearch.com/ridemaps.html
download and print the third pdf.
Old 08-04-11, 11:22 AM

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Crosstrail Elite; 2009 Kona Kapu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like fun. I'll try to make it providing the weather isn't too threatening.
I did the opposite last year: taking the train to Niagara Falls in the morning, eat lunch, then ride my way back to home in Mississauga. It was about 135km thereabouts.
Old 08-05-11, 03:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The weather forecast keeps changing but the ride is still planned so be there before 9am so we can roll on time.
There are options to shorten the ride by bailing at a GO station in Oakville or Burlington, but hopefully, the weather will clear and we can ride all the way to The Falls.

I should point out that this is an official TBN ride and so non-members must sign a waiver that I will bring, and pay a nominal $5 fee, which will be counted towards a membership should you wish to sign up. (I encourage you to sign up, as membership is only $50 and there are so many organized rides and other social events to partake in....go to tbn.ca for details)