Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Rogue hippie awash in a sea of diesel exhaust

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Rogue hippie awash in a sea of diesel exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-04, 11:58 AM

Bikes: Raleigh M800 MTB, Kona Major Jake Cyclocross (commuter)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
God all of these fears about writing a bio, and then the realization . . . who's "really" going to read this? After taking a five year break from cycling I've gotten back into it. Mostly for political reasons, but I'll admit, that the old bug is absolutely coming back with a vengeance!

I'm a 31 y.o. educator living in rural America; Sedro-Woolley, WA to be exact. The majority see the environment as something to be developed and sold. Nine out of ten vehicles are Super-Sized, crew-cab, 4x4, jacked-up, diesel monsters fully equipped to tow 25,000 pounds, or a single driver and latte whichever comes first. When I ride through town, people assume either: I'm crazy, and have escaped the local mental hospital b/c god knows no red-blooded American would ride a silly bicycle when he could be driving some $50,000 truck! Whew!; or I'm a poor, welfare dependant who just can't afford a real means of transportation. It's exciting.

I decided to park my car November 3, 2004. I know that this is a large forum with members of all political views, so I'll try not to offend, but it's my opinion that Bush is hell-bent on destroying the environment, or at very least, neglecting it to the point of destruction. Kyoto treaty mean anything? Mining, drilling and clear-cutting on national reserve land ring a bell? I can't change the world, but I can change what I contribute to it. So I'm riding now. Not 100% of the time, but I'm working towards a 90% of the time goal.

The bike? It rocks! I started with a donated Univega that was terrible. The shifters were lame, the breaks didn't work, the BB was shot, and I just didn't like it. Then a friend nearly gave me a Kona Major Jake cyclocross bike. I LOVE IT! It's more or less stock, 700x38(!) tires on Mavic rims, with an "economy" component set (Shimano Tiagra), nice fat fenders, a seat-post rack and trunk bag with panniers (Topeak MTX). Two blinky red lights in back, and one reasonably priced ($19) 5 LED head light that stays constant or blinks. It does more to make me visible than actually light the road, but it is bright!

Anyway, that's me, the bike, and some thoughts. I'm looking forward to meeting people on this forum, and sharing ideas, experiences, etc.

roguehippie

Last edited by roguehippie; 11-16-04 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-16-04, 12:28 PM
contre nous de la tyranie

Bikes: Trek 830, Trek 520, Surly 1x1 fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm glad that we have another person who bikes for The Environment. I'm sort of like you, as a nurse, I could afford to drive, but I can't polute, because of the guilt factor. I greatly enjoy biking, so that makes it all the easier. I still have a car, and drive,if I have to deliver my children somewhere, or if It's really cold or rainy. If I'm just late to work, and drive, however, I feel dirty.

Maybe we could make a new sticker for people like us, that says, "nine tenths less car"
Old 11-16-04, 02:35 PM
neon black

Bikes: soma w/ vds flip/flop, centurion, schwinn speedster, tandem, schwinn starlett

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bicycles are for people who are too stupid and poor to drive. I think it's messed up how in the world we live in people go out of their way to make riding more difficult. I think it's wrong that cars have the advantage 99% of the time. I dont like the way that people are soo dependent on cars. I think that if people didnt have cars then they wouldn't have to pay for insurance, gas l;at alone the price of the dam thing itself. That would free up so much time because they wouldn't have to work so much. Thus allowing more time to get where your going, for example, on a bike. Not only is it cheaper, healthier and better for the world, but its so much more fun and rewarding. I enjoy the comradery (spelling?) between cyclists, I've never seen a motorist stop driving to commoent on another motorists car, or ask them what kind of drive train they have. I have met so many great people because of bikes, cars have only made me sick, lazy and poor. I am not saying cars are all bad, but petroleum based fuel are. I am not saying everyone whould stop driving, it sounds like you have kids and stuff, I'm sure its very nice having a car for that. I will say that if i see another yuppie @sshole driving an H2 by themselves I will flip. Anyhow, new bike, dumpstered centurion sport deluxe, definitely a project bike. Oh, one more thing, when my bike got stolen the cops where just like "yah, we'll keep an eye out for it", but if it where a car, every cop in town would be looking for it. I think thats a wack double standard.
I've said enough
Old 11-16-04, 02:45 PM
contrarian

Bikes: 80's ross road bike/commuter, 80's team miyata, 90's haro mtb xtracycle conversion, koga mitaya world traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome, Rogue! Glad to have you. Keep up the good fight.
Old 11-17-04, 09:17 AM
contre nous de la tyranie

Bikes: Trek 830, Trek 520, Surly 1x1 fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fixinskitchin
bicycles are for people who are too stupid and poor to drive. I think it's messed up how in the world we live in people go out of their way to make riding more difficult. I think it's wrong that cars have the advantage 99% of the time. I dont like the way that people are soo dependent on cars. I think..... if it where a car, every cop in town would be looking for it. I think thats a wack double standard.
I've said enough
Amazing polemic. I agree with much of it, but remember what John Lennon said. If you get too virulent, others won't listen to you. Like you, I bike because it's The Right Thing to Do, and because I love it. But I also want to see at least 1% more people out of cars, and on to bikes in my lifetime. Vitriol won't do it.

Thanks for biking and being principled, anyway.