Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Off-Track Training advice

Old 07-21-11, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Off-Track Training advice

I live in FL and my nearest Velodrome is in Ft. Lauderdale. Im kinda in this on my own because I've visited some bike shops and they're so discouraging about it. All they tell me is "No Velodrome, no track training." I want to challenge that.

My neighborhood is shaped in a good semi- circle that's a hair more than a mile around. There's one section that's a good straightaway. What I do is a two mile warm up and then sprint the straight away. Right after the straight away lower to a comfy speed to recover for the rest of the mile. When I come back to the straight away, sprint again. I do about 5-6 of these sprints.

Now my question is, recently, I've only been able to do about 4 of the sprints because after that one my stomach is so destroyed that I can't go one without the feeling of throwing up. I can't afford to throw up because I want to keep the nutrients down. This morning I woke early and I made me a fairly big breakfast with eggs, toast and cereal. Waited about 3 hours and began sprinting.

How long should I wait after a meal to being sprinting so that I don't have this problem? I really aggravates me because after 4 sprints, I feel my legs still have much more to give but I have to stop because my digestive system is being dumb.
Old 07-21-11, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you have any questions or anything related to the extra back story?

That is way overkill to eat before riding. If you are planning on doing morning training, cut out everything but the cereal or the toast. Then wait half hour plus before going out. Then after you have cooled down, and showered eat a more full meal.
Old 07-21-11, 02:25 PM
Italian Stallion

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Supersix; Dolan Df3; 1980's GIOS Pista;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
from a nutrition standpoint, before a hard workout, you simply need carbs and protein. Carbs for energy and the protein to be there as for immediate absorption.

Before workouts, I eat an orange or a clif bar and some nuts and immediately following the workout I drink a muscle milk shake (the kind with 32g protein. Then 2 hours later I eat a protein rich meal.

I try to work out first thing in the AM for several reasons. But if I can't, I make sure it's been 3 hours since my previous meal before I work out. But again, right before I work out, I eat the stuff mentioned above.
Old 07-21-11, 11:06 PM

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
I think maybe feeling like your gonna puke just means you're sprinting hard enough. Maybe take bigger rests between efforts. For what it's worth, I eat a big breakfast before I go training in the morning too, but it's usually about an hour later I start hard efforts.
Old 07-22-11, 08:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
eat some eggs, toast, piece of fruit, oatmeal in the morning wait an hour or two at least before exercising, drink plenty of water, you want to be well hydrated during your exercise, after exercising make a nice protein shake add a banana, with some milk, a little PB, maybe some flax seeds, and again drink lots of water
Old 07-25-11, 11:35 AM

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
If I am sprinting hard, I can’t hold much of anything down other than water or an electrolyte drink (no protein). Keep it light with something easy to digest if you must have something before the work out. Chew your food thoroughly, or maybe do a blended smoothie. Eat at least an hour before your hard workout.

Your emphasis on sprinting is a good idea. When commuting, I practice sprints and accelerating, although some good 50+ mile rides are good for endurance and stamina.

One of our training routines is 30second full effort, 60 second recovery (somewhat imitating a madison). How long is the straight? 200-400m is a pretty good sprint distance.
Old 07-27-11, 11:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to everyone that has replied!
I've read what everyone has posted and I decided to try the small carbs and protein only meal about an hour before I went out. I had a ham and cheese sandwich and a protein shake. I had nearly the same results though, after about the 4th sprint my stomach was just not having it.

Thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one chas58. Though I would think it desasterous to just go out there with just liquid in my stomach. I think I'll give it a shot with having something really small. Also, I'm not sure how long my straight away is but I'll get back to you on that
Old 07-27-11, 12:05 PM
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Helgrind
Thanks to everyone that has replied!
I've read what everyone has posted and I decided to try the small carbs and protein only meal about an hour before I went out. I had a ham and cheese sandwich and a protein shake. I had nearly the same results though, after about the 4th sprint my stomach was just not having it.

Thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one chas58. Though I would think it desasterous to just go out there with just liquid in my stomach. I think I'll give it a shot with having something really small. Also, I'm not sure how long my straight away is but I'll get back to you on that
There is your problem. You also mention eating cereal in your first post. Maybe try to avoid milk and milky products before riding.

I once ate a bowl of cereal before training for sprints. I WISH I could have puked that night. I felt terrible.