Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-11, 08:26 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Questions

Hi,

I guess you could say that I am getting my feet wet right now in terms of riding. A few reasons why - riding for pleasure, fitness, and a couple of teens in the house who I want to get interested. Eventually I want to ride longer distances

So I picked up a Dback Wildwood Classic, which has a decent aluminum frame, better tires, etc. It is not a high end bike and I do not expect to win races. However, it does the trick. As much as I would LOVE a road bike...I cannot justify that right now.

A couple of things I'd like to do off the bat and wanted to get your comments/thoughts. The bike came with a set of Avenir plastic platform pedals and an Avenir comfort saddle. The saddle is uber plush and HUGE! I want to make the bike a little faster. I realize that I cannot change out the entire bike and turn it into a road bike.

I am very interested in a sleeker saddle, such as the Selle Prolink Gel. I am also interested in changing out the pedals but there are so many different types. I think Aluminum pedals will be much lighter and I would like to pick up actual cycling shoes.

The tires are Kenda comfort but perhaps down the road I can think about thinner pavement friendly slicker tires. I will use the current tires since they are already installed.

Your comments are appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 07-25-11, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome!

That Selle Prolink Gel is a pretty expensive saddle. If I were spending that much I'd go to a LBS as they typically have loaners or a trade back option. Brooks would look nice, and there are lots of used ones.

The Shimano 530 pedals would work in your situation because you can use SPD shoes or regular shoes, for multiple users.
Old 07-26-11, 02:56 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Saddles

Thanks for your reply. In doing more research...I sense that the Selle may not be the best solution. Any thoughts on the Terry Liberator Y? Reviews are generally good but I did notice that it is weighty.
Old 07-26-11, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't get too hung up on weight. Racers do lightweight because the bike spins up faster and gives an advantage on hills. For the rest of us it isn't much of an issue.

I have a Terry Fly on my road bike that's very comfortable, but then I can use almost any saddle.
For most people it's an individual thing, so you have to try it first.