Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tern Verge S11

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Tern Verge S11

Old 08-12-11, 11:15 PM
$ sudo shift

Bikes: 2008 Dahon Curve SL | Some type of 20-inch foldie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tern Verge S11

I am drooling over the specs:

General Info
Speeds: 11
Weight: 12.3 kg (27.1 lb)
Folding Time: 10 s
Folding Size: 42 x 79 x 72 cm (16.5" x 31.1" x 28.3")
Frame Sizes: One Size
Gear Inches: 26" - 106"
Distance: Seatpost to Handlebar: Min: 580 mm (22.8") Max: 730 mm (28.7")
Distance: Saddle to Pedal: Min: 690 mm (27.2") Max: 950 mm (37.4")
Suggested Rider Height: 142 - 193 cm (4'8" - 6'4")
Max Rider Weight: 110 kg (243 lb)

Transmission
Shifter(s): Shimano Alfine, 11 spd.

Crankset: FSA Gossamer, 46T
Cassette/Freewheel: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: American Classic, ISIS
Chain: RustBlock, GST coated, 3/32"
Pedals: MKS EZY QR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
verges11.jpg (30.7 KB, 62 views)
Old 08-13-11, 05:10 AM

Bikes: Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very nice but you'll have to bear in mind that it's well over a kilo heavier than your Curve SL.
Old 08-13-11, 06:00 PM
$ sudo shift

Bikes: 2008 Dahon Curve SL | Some type of 20-inch foldie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chagzuki
Very nice but you'll have to bear in mind that it's well over a kilo heavier than your Curve SL.
Oh, I realize that its heavier than the Curve SL. But for my commute purposes would suit better. The roads I have to bike on aren't exactly the prettiest or smoothest. So I would gladly give up some weight for comfort. I currently ride a 20" derailleur folding bike that I purchased at an auction for $80 bucks! -- Yes I'll keep telling everyone how much i got it for, it was such a "steal" as one member put it -- and it rides great, but there is nothing like a brand new internal hub geared bike with that awesome range.

Wish it came in all black though. I'll guess its somewhere in the neighborhood of $1200.
Old 08-13-11, 08:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That bike looks sweet, but chunky. 27.1 lbs isn't fun to climb up steps with, not that the holy grail of 9-10kg/20 lbs is much better, but makes a difference. But for a "boot bike", that doesn't matter too much I guess, given that sexy 11-gear IGH ya get.

Maybe I ride in too much of a BMX style, but I tend to do a lot of standing for bumpy surfaces since I'm in no race when I ride...kinda funny how some cyclists wanna race you on paved trails, I've noticed. lol Your roads must be something awful.
Old 08-13-11, 09:58 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Very pretty, but for me, and this is just me, this isn't a bike I'd use for loaded touring or riding centuries, so I'd gladly swap the Shimano Alfine 11 hub for a Sturmey-Archer XRF8(W) and take a $500 savings.

Originally Posted by sudoshift
The roads I have to bike on aren't exactly the prettiest or smoothest. So I would gladly give up some weight for comfort.
Tern's marketing has emphasized how stiff their bikes will be: frame, fork, handle post, hinges. IMO any comfort of this stiff 20" wheel bike over rough pavement would come from Big Apples and/or a suspension seat post (which the Verge S11 does not have as factory equipment).

Last edited by tcs; 08-13-11 at 10:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-13-11, 10:04 PM

Bikes: Brompton H6L-X, Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sudoshift
... I'll guess its somewhere in the neighborhood of $1200.
At $1,200 it would be one of the least expensive Alfine 11 bikes currently available. For comparison, the MSRP for the 2012 Raleigh Cadent i11 is $1,650. High quality folders are usually a bit more than high quality non-folders with the same components.

-HANK RYAN-
Old 08-15-11, 08:04 AM

Bikes: Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno, FSIR Spin 2.0, Dahon Mu P8

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh yeah if you guys want to see a taste of the price go the the tern press website:
https://ternbicycles.com/news/2011/08...best-bike-gear

scroll down to the tern bike from the outside magazine article and you can see their 2nd top of the line x20 bike with the SRAM red drivetrain $3500! woooo these things are going to be high end. Oh yeah they are heavier than the dahons because the hinges are supposed to last longer (replaceable bushing) and much stiffer. So I think they are making their bikes to be more of a long term investment.

and with the price and quality of these bikes I don't think we can be comparing them with dahons but more with bike friday's and bromptons.

I myself am eyeing the verge duo and the s11. I need ride quality over a super fold since I don't multi mode commute but would like to store it under my desk at work.
Old 08-15-11, 08:22 AM

Bikes: Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wouldn't exaggerate the build quality of Bromptons, sounds like these will be superior in many respects.
Old 08-15-11, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Azreal911
Oh yeah if you guys want to see a taste of the price go the the tern press website:
https://ternbicycles.com/news/2011/08...best-bike-gear
"..the Verge X20, might only have 20-inch wheels (designed by wheel master Rolf Dietrich), but it's spec'd out with road riding finery"

It's interesting that the magazine needs to apologizes for the 20" wheels.
Old 08-15-11, 10:05 AM
New usename ThorUSA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1200 I wish ..... lets have a container full of them ....
I pretty sure that will be a close to 2000 dlr bike instead .... and well worth it as well....
but at this moment its all pretty much guessing what the prices will do ....

one has to be careful comparing prices anyhow..... here we have last year prices ( vector 1600 to 2600 dlr ) and comparing these to next year prices..... plus one really has to see both bikes next to eachtother as well.... preferably riding both ( which is not possible as the vectors never made it to US shores .... )

I think the prices will be very much in line what you will get for your money. No freebies but good value !
thor
Old 08-15-11, 11:51 AM
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice,but 27lbs and you have to carry it. I replaced my Novara(Dahon) Flyby with a Brompton because not only was the Brommie 3lbs lighter,I can roll it along folded without having to lift it.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 08-15-11, 02:12 PM
New usename ThorUSA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynaryder
Nice,but 27lbs and you have to carry it. I replaced my Novara(Dahon) Flyby with a Brompton because not only was the Brommie 3lbs lighter,I can roll it along folded without having to lift it.
the brommie was lighter ? 3 lbs even ?
thats a new one to me ..... unless you compare a titanium single speed with the Rei 8 speed internal can with fenders carriers pump and whatnotelse ....maybe a couple of panniers ?

the small increase in weight for the Terns are most likely in a more realistic way of weighing the bikes, and a small percentage as well in beefed up folding mechanisms ..... for anybody who is using his bike every day these added weights here and there are going to mean that there is extra security in the durability and also serviceability in case you want to overhaul the bike after every 7500 miles.

well worth it for everybody who wants a product which will stand the time

as for pushing the bike.... I have no problems pushing my Curve ( or Mu ) on the seatpost.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDbJ1RM8s9k
as somebody else here demonstrates .... doesnt seem to be all that difficult to me....
Old 08-17-11, 01:11 PM
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brakemeister
the brommie was lighter ? 3 lbs even ?
thats a new one to me ..... unless you compare a titanium single speed with the Rei 8 speed internal can with fenders carriers pump and whatnotelse ....maybe a couple of panniers ?
Sorry,2 pounds. Checked my chart,and according to my digital fish scale my S6L weighs 25lbs 13oz,and the Flyby weighed 27lbs 14oz. The Bommie is a 6sp,all steel,fenders/minipump,with Kojak tires. The rear wheel of the Flyby,w/o tire weighed 5lbs 6oz on its own.

Originally Posted by brakemeister
as for pushing the bike.... I have no problems pushing my Curve ( or Mu ) on the seatpost.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDbJ1RM8s9k
as somebody else here demonstrates .... doesnt seem to be all that difficult to me....
Interesting. Never thought to try that. However,the Brommie still rolls much easier;you just slide it around or pull it by the handlebar behind you like rolling luggage. The vid shows you having to balance the Dahon like a handtruck.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X