Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mellow Yellow Swiss Bike, SOS, recognise the BRAND? & help w/WHEELS PLSSSS

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-11, 10:45 AM

Bikes: MTB, Tandem & Racing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dear Friends,

I would be grateful for help from the mechanical minds on here.

1. Current bike has Mavic Kysrium Equipes, will changing to Shimano WH-7850-C24-CL Dura-Ace or American Classic 420 Aero 3 road clincher wheelsets help go up Mountains better???

2. My friend on his Scott CR1 Pro just kills me on the mountains going up all gradients

My gearing seems perfect, a nice granny, a nice Ultegra kit. However, maybe its the wheels that let the bike down? Is this mechanically TRUE or am I just in need of more training and power/cadence?

Below are details of the bike:

History of Purchase:

Here is my race cycle, it is an Arrow Branded made in Suisse bike probably circa 2002/4 approx. It was hardly used!!! So I got it at a bargain as an entry level bike. Weight circa 8.6kg

Front of bike

Components:
Shimano Ultegra brakes, Shimano Ultegra front and rear deraillers, Shimano cassette 28-11. Front triple crank. Nice granny climber

Rims: Mavic Kysrium Equipe

Frame: Beautiful design

Swiss Bike Villiger Powered on Frame:

Areas I have biked: Lavaux and the reason I love using my bike on Swiss Alps

THANK YOU
Old 08-17-11, 10:49 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I expect changing the wheels in the hope of climbing significantly faster is a waste of time and money. If your gearing is adequate and the bike fits you, all you can do is get stronger. Low wheel weight is wildly over advertised as a cure for everything. It isn't.
Old 08-17-11, 10:49 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My friend on his Scott CR1 Pro just kills me on the mountains going up all gradients
he is just stronger than you, training , not shopping for parts helps, there.
Old 08-17-11, 11:06 AM
Banned.

Bikes: CCM Torino 76

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The wheels you listed are completely inadequate. You need something much much more expensive.
https://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...-wheels-12670/

However, you already have a very high performance wheelset so the actual performance gain will be between minimal and imperceptable. But spending all that money will help somehow, too, right?

Make sure you have good, lightweight tires, which have to be replaced periodically anyway, and there is very little improvement to be madewith equipment. Get more, and more efficient use of, training time and you will get faster.
Old 08-17-11, 11:20 AM

Bikes: MTB, Tandem & Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HillRider: Thanks, I appreciate it.

Fietsbob: I am a newbie first season. Again agreed. I have to train a lot, I have the sartori turbo trainer and love it. I am getting fitter each time I go out. I have some great hill climbs nearby, some killers too.

DCBO: The Lewes are pricey and overkill lol. Its confusing to read some bikeradar reviews stating the wheels are great for hillclimbs. However, it seems what I have is a great training wheel and I will not change it from what everyone is writing now.

a) On relative straights and smaller hills I am usually faster than my friend, on higher cadence power steep hill climbs he just hits me faster eg 18% and even a few seemed more than this.

I think it is not the parts of the bike. Its a great starter.

THANK YOU For your replies very useful. I dont mind more reflections. Appreciate how quick you are all too. THANKS THANKS And did I say Merci!!