Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Inexpensive Nashbar pedals

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-11, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got some of the nashbar road pedals that are designed on the look technology. My old pedals use the same cleats. So all I had to do was put the pedals on and ride. Wrong. First I had to set the new pedals to unclip as easy as they would go and then I still had to give a pretty good twist to disengage. My second concern is that the cleats slide on the pedals like they are on ice. I do like the ease of clipping in.

So If I want to stop this sliding or floating on the pedals some how can I do this? I am thinking about taking some paint and sand and seeing how this would work on the pedal to provide some friction. I am also thinking about taking a very sharp punch and putting a bunch of little punches on the places of the pedal where the cleat makes contact. These cleats have about 6 degrees of float so I guess that I could get some cleats with no float but what would be the fun in that. Maybe cleats with less float would be what I need. I was pedaling and let my left heal come to the inside and the next thing that I knew the back of the crank had hit the bottom of my shoe heal and was trying to rip my foot off.
Old 08-20-11, 11:55 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
Don't use sand paint on the center of the pedal. You need the cleat to be free to slide so you can twist out. High friction will increase the twist torque required, and might leave you trapped in the pedal when you need or want a smooth release.

Try a piece of cloth friction tape, and see if that improves things for you. Also, in your effort to lower the step in force, you might have lowered it too far causing you to twist out when you didn't expect to.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-20-11, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
....what about buying some new NON-FLOAT cleats....most float cleats are red, non float are black
Old 08-20-11, 04:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I may have to try those black cleats. My old pedals have just enough friction to keep the cleats from sliding but these newer pedals just don't have much surface area touching the cleats and it is causing me to have to keep tension in my foot to make sure that I don't slip out of alignment.
Old 08-22-11, 11:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have gotten used to the float of the cleats a little now. I have my cleats set so that when I am riding there is hardly any float to the outside. This allows me to gently rotate my heals to the outside and I will hit the limit of the float and this stops the sliding on the pedals for the most part.

I still have a problem with the cleats taking a good amount of twisting pressure to release. The tension is at it's lightest setting for releasing. Are there any other tricks that can be done to the cleats that will make them release easier when twisted to the side?
Old 08-23-11, 02:13 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
try turning your foot to the inside instead of away from you. mine releases like that super quick