Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring in France, this year

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-11, 06:00 PM
Banned.

Bikes: something

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So the long and the short of this is such:

I intend to take 2-3 weeks off this year, whenever the timing for the location works best, to go ride in France for a while.

I know I may be biting off more then I can safely chew here due to a more general lack of experience touring. Regardless this is the general idea to go to france, do a more credit-card style tour going from village to village. I do not intend to camp out and I do not really plan to carry a lot with me. I am more interested in covering distance and I have the monetary savings to run this credit card style.

On that note I am still debating between two bikes in my stable. My road bike (Aerocat, carbon fiber) and a cyclocross bike which is my work/ commuting bike (Redline Conquest Pro, aluminum ). I know the smarter choice is the Cyclocross bike but part of me still has an urge to bring the Aerocat out and really cover the miles.

In general I am looking for these tips though:

1. Best time? I dont know Europe's climate well so when is the best season? Perhaps I have missed it already?

2.If I was to set-up my road bike what is the best suggestion someone has? Between panniers and other options?
Old 08-20-11, 08:50 PM

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone MB-3, '88 Marinoni road bike, '00 Marinoni Piuma, '01 Riv A/R

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For the Aerocat, I'd suggest a medium to large saddlebag (Carradice Nelson Longflap or one of the Rivendell saddlebags, like this one: https://www.rivbike.com/products/show...-medium/20-132. If your saddle doesn't have bag loops you'll need some kind of adaptor (https://www.wallbike.com/carradice/sa...addlebag-clamp) to thread the saddlebag straps through. One of these bags will work on either bike, since you don't need a rear rack to support the bag. A handlebar bag with a map case up front would also be useful.

How wide a tire can you fit on the Aerocat? 700x23s need fairly frequent topping up if you want to avoid pinch flats, and getting a tire up to 100-120 psi with a hand pump is a challenge. How low do the gears on the Aerocat go? Can you fit fenders? Fenders let you finish a day in the rain relatively clean, at least without the brown racing stripe up your back, and they keep the bike cleaner, too. Walking into a hotel or cafe after a long fenderless ride in the rain is a little different than coming into your own house in the same state.

Spring in France is great, but fall is pretty good, too. The Alps might be getting a little chilly, but the rest of the country should be fine. Get a copy of the Lonely Planet cycling guide to France, and figure out where you want to go. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/174...kinw_rke_rti_1
Old 08-20-11, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
France is the best place to tour, my absolute favourite.

I think that your cyclocross bike is the better choice. Even if you don't carry a lot, you still need to carry some things. A pair of panniers will fill up quickly.
I've toured in France in September and it was wonderful, but the days are shorter and it may rain more. The good part is that the summer crowds are gone and accommodations a bit cheaper.

Which part of France would you like to see?
Old 08-20-11, 09:31 PM

Bikes: Vitus 979, KHS Montana Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The CX bike with 25c tires, racks and panniers will be perfect.

If you avoid the Alps, October should be perfect.

See if your credit card issuers off euro style chip and pin cards which are much more widely accepted there. It may hard to find places that accept U.S. style mag stripe cars outside the bigger cities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_and_PIN
Old 08-21-11, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
September is when the French go back to school and work so accommodation is easier to find. Conditions are generally low-mid 20s warm and settled with little rain. It may get a bit wetter and cooler, esp in the mountains.
For credit card touring in France, a Carradice saddlebag and barbag should be sufficient if you avoid bringing lots of electricals and pare you kit down to lightweight essentials. You can always buy stuff if you need it.
Old 08-21-11, 06:32 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have also decided that My CX bike is a much better choice for this.

On that note though I do want to see some of the mountainous areas in France. Can anyone give me recommendations for seeing those even during September when it may be a bit more rainy?
Old 08-21-11, 06:35 AM

Bikes: Vitus 979, KHS Montana Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dnuzzomueller
I have also decided that My CX bike is a much better choice for this.

On that note though I do want to see some of the mountainous areas in France. Can anyone give me recommendations for seeing those even during September when it may be a bit more rainy?

The Pyrenees is SW France would be a better bet for weather.
Old 08-21-11, 07:09 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So here is another question I thought I might pose: What wheelset?

I usually use a set of Kysirium Equipes on my CX bike and a set of Kysirium Elites on the Road bike. My thought is to put the Elites on the CX bike and take that along. My other thought is also if I am in France Mavic dealers surely must be somewhat frequent.... So any wheelset recommendations? (I am about 150lbs, not that heavy)
Old 08-21-11, 02:16 PM
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Handspun with Velocity Dyad rims and Shimano Deore LX hubs:

front
https://www.niagaracycle.com/product_...ucts_id=506984

rear
https://www.niagaracycle.com/product_...ucts_id=506985

I don't think I'd go with lower than 700x32 with those because they have an outside width of 24mm so they may easilly take 700x42 tires.

(This is just an opinion from research, I haven't tried them.)