Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Gotham2 vs. Gotham. Thoughts?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-11, 04:33 AM
Bicikli Huszár

Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hoping to get some info from someone who has owned one of these bikes. This will be my first folder. Primary use is to replace my current commuter for a 6.5 mi each way commute. Almost totally flat terrain. Also looking for something I can take with me on Amtrak to toodle around SF and LA occasionally.

I need a cheap bike and either of these look to fit the bill. As far as the commuting, I'm sure the Gotham (SS) should be fine... but I'm wondering if I should spend the extra money on the Gotham2 (7 SP) for easier riding in hillier areas. How easy do derailers get knocked out of whack on a folder (and is the derailer hanger welded to the frame? I've had bad experiences there)? Does the simplicity of the SS maybe outweigh the versatility of the derailer? Any other thoughts you think may be useful?

Regardless, any experiences with these bikes or Citizen in general? I get the impression (from dates o reviews) they used to be not very good, but are of at least acceptable quality now. What's the word?

Last edited by sudo bike; 08-23-11 at 04:38 AM.
Old 08-29-11, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go with the Gotham 2 - always good to have the gears and no issues when folding - Citizen is a great company - I have their least expensive folder - the Tokyo- after some performance mods it is a very respectable and fun bike to ride - great value for the money!
Old 08-30-11, 12:46 AM
Bicikli Huszár

Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Geeeyejo
Go with the Gotham 2 - always good to have the gears and no issues when folding - Citizen is a great company - I have their least expensive folder - the Tokyo- after some performance mods it is a very respectable and fun bike to ride - great value for the money!
Thanks so much for the reply! My gut was telling me Gotham2, so I think I'll go ahead with that. Thanks again!
Old 08-30-11, 02:43 PM

Bikes: Dahon Speed TR and Dahon Speed Pro TT

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sudo bike
Thanks so much for the reply! My gut was telling me Gotham2, so I think I'll go ahead with that. Thanks again!
not to sway you away from citizen but if you can find a used dahon boardwalk at CL, i think it would be better. a used dahon will definitely be a better choice than a brand new citizen (just my opinion).
Old 08-30-11, 05:32 PM
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My opinion as a seasoned cyclist and bike mechanic is to spend the extra dosh on the Gotham2. I am a huge fan of the mindset behind the simplicity of SS/FixedGear but the reality is that often there are hills and headwinds that can confront many riders and under those circumstances a multi-geared bike can be preferable. Go with the Gotham2 despite the added expense and enjoy the ride.
Old 08-30-11, 06:08 PM

Bikes: Too many....................

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
This would be my choice for a single speed and they are on special right now https://www.thorusa.com/dahon/current/speeduno.htm
Old 09-02-11, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really enjoy my Gotham1 and bought it for the simplicity of the single speed to be honest when I was perusing through Citizen bikes a few months ago. The Gotham1 does very well around an urban area and even on wide open rural roads that are outside of the small cities around here. Hills don't give me to much trouble since I ride so much everyday, but you do have to push harder to get up an extended hill on the G1.

Very fun bike I highly recommend it. I just noticed Citizen has increased the price for it by $20 though!

I take mine everywhere though....beach...towns....and sometimes before or after work run around the urban areas and take in the scenery on the paved paths or streets. Good for little runs to the store and post office as well. The company seems quite good and I am happy with the quality.