Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New Bike Assembly

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

New Bike Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-11, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
New Bike Assembly

So I am normally a vintage guy and have a well equipped shop and work on all of my vintage bikes. I have decided I want a modern CF bike for longer rides and settled on a Specialized Roubaix. Couldn't find the one I wanted at my local shop so ordered an unused "Expert" test bike off of EBAY. I had planned on having my local shop assemble and tune the bike since I am not so familiar with modern components (Ultegra) After a shipping delay it is scheduled to show up on Friday and I am riding in an organized distance ride on Saturday. Can anyone tell me what state of assembly the bike may be in and how much work will need to be done on the bike out of the box? Will I be able to handle the tuning??? Should I just ride one of my vintage bikes and leave it to the shop next week??
Old 08-24-11, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Could be anything from parts in boxes needing to be put toghether, to just the wheels off, and the handlebar needing to be rotated.

For your answer, no-one knows but the seller you have bought it off, why not contact them, and ask, it will give you the correct answer.

Would suggest that even it it does arrive on Friday, it will take at ride or so to get the fit right, you may be being optomistic for riding on Saturday
Old 08-24-11, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have asked the seller but they are so slow to respond on questions I will probably have the bike in my possession before they answer! Was hoping to catch someone familiar with Specialized bikes and how they are packed for shipping. You are probably right about being optimistic though
Old 08-24-11, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
if it is a new and never been assembled specialized road bike then you will need to string the cables and cut the housing(included). true/tension wheels. adj hub if necessary. adj brake derailleurs, headset. check that the crank is properly installed/torqued. grease bolts
Old 08-24-11, 05:50 PM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I assume most bikes will come about the same way. You'll need to attach the stem (bars w/ brifters and bar tape will already be attached), front wheel, pedals, seat post (saddle will probably already be on the post). Usually the FD, RD and rear brake are in place and cabled. Front brake may or may not be installed and you'll need to attach the cable. Limits will probably be set for FD & RD but may need a tweek. You'll definately need to do some fine tuning on shifters and brakes. Wheels may need a touch up (doubt much more on a bike of this quality but you never know). Then there are the reflectors It isn't a huge job but I like to spend my time checking and lubing everything as I assemble so I know it is all ready to go.

It can easily be done is a couple of hours even if you take your time. Whether you'll be able to get it fit right for that long of a ride on your first try is the bigger question. My guess is you'll either find yourself putting up with the fit (which won't make for an enjoyable ride) or having to stop several times for minor adjustments (which won't be enjoyable for those you are riding with).