Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Trek Transit Deluxe trailer...want to carry infant, any ideas?

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-11, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We have a Trek Transit Deluxe trailer that we got on Craigslist a couple years ago. At the time the seller told us it was "a couple years old" and its been wonderful for our son who is now 3 (and just got his first real bike this week!).

We just had a second baby and we want to get right back out there riding especially now that our older one can ride with us. I know Chariot makes infant slings that are supposed to fit since Chariot used to make Trek's trailers (or vice versa??).

I attempted to install it today and discovered, at least I think, that this Trek Transit must be older than advertised because there are no holes on the frame rods along the front to attach the support bar of the infant sling, so its not compatible.

So...does anyone know how I can safely carry our baby along for rides before he is big enough to sit on the bench with the regular straps?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-07-11, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We used in our Chariot the Chariot baby seat insert when our second was quite young, skipping the sling entirely. But he was a pretty fat baby with good neck strength, so he fit well into the seat insert (we started this at about 4.5 months, which is when we bought the trailer).

You might also want to check out the Burley baby insert--perhaps it would be compatible?

And...if the problem is there are no holes, could you just drill some? Or have your LBS take a look at the situation?
Old 10-10-11, 11:15 AM
smitten by саша

Bikes: Salsa La Cruz with Rohloff; mutt parts

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how about some pix of the trailer's insides to see if mods are possible? i'm not familiar with this particular trailer. I use one of those infant slings i my trailer, and it strikes me that it could be attached in various non-standard but equally acceptable ways (e.g., using non-standard clamps from a hardware store, or drilling for the bolts [good that you won't need to made a threaded hole, just a regular hole, maybe 5 or 6mm wide? i'll check when i get home]).

pix of the new baby are also fine, too. we love babies!