Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Wasted a lot of money!!! HELP!! PLZ

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-02, 06:47 PM
huh?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok this is my problem, Just got a new MTB 2 week ago(if that). The thing looked nice of the floor. I road it and it was nice. It was the Specialized Hotrock A1 FS 26. IT seemed like a good first bike.

Now i go on it for my second ride over 4 miles. Total of 4 rides now. I see that my back wheel is wobbling and then hear a small sqeak from the back. I mean my front is now sqeaking. I have not crashed it or any thing!!

The back brake can't be held down even a little with out it sounding like a catbeing killed. It send the shakes down the bike!!

Did i just lose my $330 that it cost(guess the bike was too good to be tru!!???

If you can help me out at all, thank you!

(oh by the way i talked to the shop that i got it from and they say that they will not do to much for me do the fact that they do not know if it their or my fault! they think that i broke it so all they will do is look at it for $45. )
Old 04-15-02, 07:21 PM
BikeForums Founder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If thats the service your reciving from your LBS, go elsewhere! Most shops offer free tunes ups on new bikes, that may cover one tune up within 30 days of the sale, or unlimited tuneups for a year.

Try talking to somebody else at the shop, ask if your bike comes with any free tune ups, if so, use one. Its reccomended to tune up a new bike after 50 or so miles. I have about 8 shops within 50 miles i regularly visit, each of them offer some type of free tune up plan with all bikes.
Old 04-15-02, 07:37 PM
huh?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I talked to the main owner and she said that if i take it in she will give me a free tune-up. So what i'm asking now is, will the problems fixed in a tune-up?? (the tire wabble and the brakes and all that)

What is included in the tune-ups??

hehe first time having to go thru this with out dad . . .now that he aint around dont know this stuff

Thank you!

Jared

Last edited by JaredMcDonley; 04-15-02 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-15-02, 08:17 PM
New to bikeforùms.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The tune up will fix whatever is the problem.....she will true the wheel, adjust the brakes, adjust shifting and whatever else is wrong....it really dosent take much to tune a bike up.
Old 04-15-02, 08:33 PM
huh?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you both. Good to know that there is some thing to do. Didn't knwo about that whole after 50 miles thing. Before my dad took care of all this so i'm not to good with knowing what has to be done.

Thank you,
Jared
Old 04-16-02, 06:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jared
Wher do you live? Maybe if a couple of us older biger folks went in with you we might not even have to break any bones.
Joe
Old 04-16-02, 06:27 AM
0^0

Bikes: Redline Monocog,Surly Crosscheck, Lemond Reno

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your wheel wobbling isn't that big a deal, any shop will be able to fix that. They should work on the brakes too. If the brakes still squeal, try sanding the brake pads with a fine grit sandpaper, it worked for me, plus it made my pads work better.
Old 04-16-02, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think KleinMp99 has it right. Your wheels have come out of true and your lbs should take care of the immediately free of charge, especially within the first 30 to 60 days. Several things to expect when purchasing a new bike. Wheels need truing; Breaks and Shifters need adjusting due to cable stretch and always check tire pressure before each ride. You should also check for loose bolts and nuts and holdie thingies because they also loosen with use.
have fun
t
Ps if they continue to be reluctant about this type of service take your money elsewhere. It is almost a basic principle for shops to do minor adjusting within the first 30 days. Of course misuse and abuse is not covered by this so don’t try to strong-arm your LBS. There are plenty of shops viaing for your dollars don’t settle for anything less than the best.
t
Old 04-16-02, 08:32 AM
It's the fight in the man

Bikes: Pace RC200 F2 (British Built!)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep,

Don't sweat the small stuff Jared, this happens to all new bikes, and you haven't done anything wrong!

Take it easy

Rich
Old 04-16-02, 05:28 PM
huh?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you.

Its good to know this now then when i get there and they are all "well this will take a lot of work" or say some thing like that.

lol joeprim found your comment really funny!
for all who dont know I live in west palm, FL.
hehe may be i will se you all around some time.

Thank you, i should be taking it in on thursday.

Jared