Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

I really want flat free tires or inner tubes which company or brand do you recommend?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

I really want flat free tires or inner tubes which company or brand do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-04, 11:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want to buy either the Specialized Armadillos or the Schwalbe Plus tires for my recumbent but can't because they don't have my tire size. Why ?

Last edited by Jeffery; 11-26-04 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Why can't I get the Specialized Armadillos or the Schwalbe Plus Tires for my recumbent? I want to buy them.
Old 11-23-04, 11:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about foam filled tires as well ? Would that be any better?
Old 11-24-04, 02:36 AM

Bikes: Felt F2C, Scott Spark 40, and Custom Fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you checking and/or inflating to the recommend pressure before every ride? IMHO, low tire pressure is the #1 culprit. You'd be surprised how much air can leak out of a tube over time.
Old 11-24-04, 06:50 AM
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Yea what type of flats are you getting? Is the damage coming from the outside or the inside. Conti has the Ultra Gator Skin and Specialized has their Armadillo both of which are VERY resistant to puncture flats but if you have a bur on the inside of your rim or an exposed spoke nipple it wont matter. Also with both of those tires you will pay for the durability in weight and the Specialized is supposed to have pretty bad road feel. Velox the inside of the rim if it isn't already and inspect for burs.

What are you currently using?
Old 11-24-04, 07:44 AM
Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized Armadillos. I ride their 'All Conditions' and have been flat free since in daily riding.

However, as noted above, there is a cost in weight and some road feel. Keep them pumped at the max recommended, and this helps reduce the hit to road feel.
Old 11-24-04, 08:17 AM
World Champion, 1899

Bikes: Litespeed Vortex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeffery
I really want flat free tires because I am getting way to many flats and don't want to have to worry about it.
I'll offer the advice given me many moons ago: "Stop riding over stuff!" And guess what...it works! But yes, some tires are easier to puncture than others. However, I ride tires most think are easily punctured, but cannot count the number of times people with whom I spend a good deal of time riding have asked if I ever get a flat. In fact, I may average about 2 a year, at most. I typically see casing threads before I see anything else. So to repeat some great advice that effectively fixed my flatting woes: "Stop riding over stuff!"
Old 11-24-04, 08:21 AM
LeMond Lives!

Bikes: In 1963 my sister taught me to ride on her girl’s frame (no wonder I shave my legs) Schwinn it was blue and it weighted a billion pounds. – Gone, 2nd bike - a Schwinn Colligate (Gold) 5 speed – Traded in, 3rd bike – 1971 Schwinn Continental (Maro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Add a set pf spin skins they work very well. Also as alread said get a good floor pump and use it everytime you ride and you will have less flats.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 11-24-04, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 51 Posts
I use the michelin carbons, and in almost 4000 miles of riding I have not had one flat. I'm very happy with them.
Old 11-24-04, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Would NoMorFlats.com inner tubes be a better opinion or its the same as a flat free tire?
They really aren't inner tubes,but a solid foam replacement for tubes. They don't flat but are heavy and will tunn the bike into a slug. Maybe ok for a flat short commute. With regular tubes,there is nothing that is flat proof, just different degrees of flat resistance.
Old 11-24-04, 08:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Performance is the only place i know they are available,
But I use their Thorn proof tubes. They are the old style, just very thick rubber. They add weight in the only real place it matters on your bike (rotating mass) but I haven't had a flat in a LOOOOOONG time. Even had a cut in the tire bad enough to make me chuck the tire (through the casing) but did not get a flat.
Old 11-24-04, 08:48 AM
H23

Bikes: bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is no magic solution. This problem is very variable depending on conditions and environment.

I think my biggest problem is alcoholics.

Why? Because where I live people drink 40oz bottles of malt liquor and then toss them anywhere they want. The result after decades of such behavior is streets with glass specks everywhere. The big shards are avoidable, but there are so many little specks I simply can't avoid them.

I wish the makers of cheap malt liquor would switch to plastic containers.
Old 11-24-04, 08:58 AM

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been on Conti 4-seasons for the last 8k{not the same pair} and i've got my share of potholes and glass and stickers and only 2 flats and 1 was when they were worn out.Not bad.
Old 11-24-04, 09:00 AM

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite, Schwinn Frontier FS MTB, Centurion LeMans (1986)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized Armadillos, heavy, but really tough
Old 11-24-04, 09:00 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shokhead
I've been on Conti 4-seasons for the last 8k{not the same pair} and i've got my share of potholes and glass and stickers and only 2 flats and 1 was when they were worn out.Not bad.
You don't live in goathead and thorn country do you?
Old 11-24-04, 12:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding Continental Ultra-gatorskins for 18 months, have 2,200 miles on them and have had no flats. I ride and agree with Maj. Taylor, don't ride over stuff. Also check your tire pressure before every long ride. Whenever I ride around the neighborhood, I won't check the tire pressure unless it's been over a week since my last ride, which is rare. Recently received my order of Rivendell's Rol-y Pol-y kevlar belted and beaded tires. They look great and am hoping that they'll ride smooth, long and trouble free as claimed by other users.
Old 11-24-04, 12:46 PM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I really want flat free tires because I am getting way to many flats and don't want to have to worry about it. I know I have read everything posted about them here and other places. I want to at least try them for myself. What company or brand woujld you all recommend?

Would NoMorFlats.com inner tubes be a better opinion or its the same as a flat free tire?
Dude what the heck is your deal? You've asked this question REPEATEDLY we've gave you all the answers you could ever ask for and yet you keep asking the same *********************** question. Of your 42 posts on this forum 4 have been about a friggin topic other than tires! The other 38 are nothing but the same question over and over again. We've tried to help but if you won't listen.....
https://www.bikeforums.net/search.php?searchid=582350
Old 11-24-04, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
Yea what type of flats are you getting? Is the damage coming from the outside or the inside. Conti has the Ultra Gator Skin and Specialized has their Armadillo both of which are VERY resistant to puncture flats but if you have a bur on the inside of your rim or an exposed spoke nipple it wont matter. Also with both of those tires you will pay for the durability in weight and the Specialized is supposed to have pretty bad road feel. Velox the inside of the rim if it isn't already and inspect for burs.

What are you currently using?
I have some Armadillos, and they have great road feel. You can pretty much feel everything on the road, no matter how small .
Old 11-24-04, 03:01 PM

Bikes: Felt F2C, Scott Spark 40, and Custom Fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
I have some Armadillos, and they have great road feel. You can pretty much feel everything on the road, no matter how small .
Everytime I hear "armadillos" I think of THIS
Old 11-24-04, 03:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't flatted my bontrager race lite hardcases in about 1000 miles and the roads here are terrible with glass
Old 11-24-04, 03:28 PM
Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn
Dude what the heck is your deal? You've asked this question REPEATEDLY we've gave you all the answers you could ever ask for and yet you keep asking the same *********************** question. Of your 42 posts on this forum 4 have been about a friggin topic other than tires! The other 38 are nothing but the same question over and over again. We've tried to help but if you won't listen.....
https://www.bikeforums.net/search.php?searchid=582350
Jeffery is clearly a guy who cares a whole lot about tires.
Old 11-24-04, 03:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
These are what you want. You can even run reg tubes. Now go buy them.
Old 11-24-04, 05:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The problem is the Armadillos are not in my size for my recumbent. 16 inch front wheel and 20 inch back wheel. Yes they have tires that are in my size but there not as strong as the Armadillos. How do I suppose to get Armadillos then? I don't think they custom make them.
Old 11-24-04, 06:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recumbent? You forgot to mention that.
Old 11-24-04, 07:23 PM
Hamburger Pimp

Bikes: BMC SLT O1 Team Full Record, Kuips SuperNova Ultegra & DuraAce, Rocky Mountain Team Scandium full XTR w sids & dope parts, Guerciotti Khaybar Full Record.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I must have good luck, cuz i have ridden around 4000 road kms this year on Conti supersonics and i haven't flatted yet. I keep my pressure at 120 religiously, but i have to throw out the tires after 1000 (give or take kms) or one big skid.

I have similar luck on my Hardtail. No flats this year.
Old 11-24-04, 07:56 PM
Fortunatissimo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phatman
I use the michelin carbons, and in almost 4000 miles of riding I have not had one flat. I'm very happy with them.
I agree. I haven't been quite as lucky as Phatman, but these are the most puncture resistant tires I have used.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.