Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

should i buy this bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

should i buy this bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-11, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
should i buy this bike?

so i ve been looking for a bike for a while. i was advised a hybrid bike woyld be best because i want to be ablr to ride it far and comfortably. im 6'3" and its hard to find big road bikes for cheap. this bike looked pretty koo what do you think?
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...569269732.html
Old 09-03-11, 10:26 PM
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I noticed that it tells you that you have all "new" components, but it fails to list those "new" components.

"New" sounds good!

What are they?

Go check the bike out. Make certain that its a good fit. Check the gearing and brakes out, thoroughly.

Go over the frame, inspecting it for cracks, holes, and dents. Make certain that the welds at the joints are still good and the frame is completely intact.

Take someone stout with you. Tell them that you're going to the store on the bike. You'll be right back and the person you've come with will remain with them until you get back. Let them know that the person you've come with has the cash for payment.

If you still like it when you get back, pay and leave promptly!
Old 09-03-11, 10:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i definitely plan to check it out but by the looks of it would u say ill be getting what i want( ridng far and comfortably like a road bike
Old 09-03-11, 11:31 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hybrids come either as more mountain bike than road bike and more road bike than mountain bike. The price looks good if the components are what you want. If it has 26inch wheels they will be a bit stronger than 700c or 29ers. Personally I prefer hybrids that are more road bike with road bike gearing.

Still if this bike fits and has the components you are looking for it will work. Just remember for distance flat bars are the limiting factor. Limited hand positions will show up much faster than you might think and converting to drop bars is harder than you might think. If you do get that bike look into Treking bars if you plan on long distance rides. Thumb shifters and even twist grip shifters can be moved to treking bars.
Old 09-04-11, 09:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert Foster
Hybrids come either as more mountain bike than road bike and more road bike than mountain bike. The price looks good if the components are what you want. If it has 26inch wheels they will be a bit stronger than 700c or 29ers. Personally I prefer hybrids that are more road bike with road bike gearing.

Still if this bike fits and has the components you are looking for it will work. Just remember for distance flat bars are the limiting factor. Limited hand positions will show up much faster than you might think and converting to drop bars is harder than you might think. If you do get that bike look into Treking bars if you plan on long distance rides. Thumb shifters and even twist grip shifters can be moved to treking bars.
ya thats the thing thoug, i dont know what ti look for in components i want. i dont know much about bikes and the ones ive had have been bmx type bikes but now i need this bike to ride to work and school and just put my ipod on and get lost
Old 09-04-11, 12:44 PM
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by panflake
ya thats the thing thoug, i dont know what ti look for in components i want. i dont know much about bikes and the ones ive had have been bmx type bikes but now i need this bike to ride to work and school and just put my ipod on and get lost
Save your IPod until you reach your destination...

That's almost as bad as texting while you're driving!
Old 09-04-11, 02:39 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by panflake
I like SRAM x4 or better trigger shifters on a flat bar. Shimano Deore or better if you like shimano. I would look for at least an 8 speed but a 9 or 10 is a bonus. If you find a road bike I would look for shimano 105 or better or SRAM Apex/Rival or better. The better the shifters the better off you are. The shifters cost more to replace than derailleurs or Cassettes.