Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Thread Size on Older Bike's Rack/Fender Mount

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-06-11, 10:48 AM
Banned.

Bikes: CCM Torino 76

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey, all!

I am coming around the final bend in my race to build my CCM Torino 76 into a sturdy all weather Afline 8 equipped commuter, and all that needs to be done now is to mount fenders and a rack. There are braze-ons aove the rear and behind the front dropouts, but they are obviously a larger diameter than the modern standard (M4?) for mounting racks, fenders, and water bottles.

I have found in the past that some BSOs have larger holes that are threaded, but don't know what thread size and pattern they were. Does anyone know what size(s) of bolt are likely to thread into an old frame like this? It is a Made in Canada CCM Torino '10 speed' from , I think, 1976.

I am going to try a few different sizes tonight, and I may just wind up going with an M4 or M5 with a nut, but if there is a more elegant solution I will be happy as a clam at high tide!

Thanks,
LASF
Old 09-06-11, 10:52 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,404 Posts
Close to 100% of threaded fender/rack mount eyes are 5x.8mm, the same as the water bottle screw.

If you have brazed on WB mount, you might borrow that screw and confirm.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-06-11, 11:19 AM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Close to 100% of threaded fender/rack mount eyes are 5x.8mm, the same as the water bottle screw.

I will certainly try am M5 to confirm but I am pretty sure the hole is too big for that.
Many older and cheaper bikes (mine included) have a larger hole that M5 passes right through. In the past I have sometimes been lucky and had the correct bolt to fit customers' bikes when they had these holes. Perhaps it was the same bolt size as the long bolt normally included with fenders to mount to the crown of the fork. M5? M6? 1/4-20? 10-32?
Old 09-06-11, 11:25 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by DCB0
I will certainly try am M5 to confirm but I am pretty sure the hole is too big for that.
Many older and cheaper bikes (mine included) have a larger hole that M5 passes right through. In the past I have sometimes been lucky and had the correct bolt to fit customers' bikes when they had these holes. Perhaps it was the same bolt size as the long bolt normally included with fenders to mount to the crown of the fork. M5? M6? 1/4-20? 10-32?
As I said, most threaded eyes are M5. Unthreaded eyes are usually bigger to accept an M5 screw (or bigger) and nut. M5 is fairly standard threaded eye or not, because most fenders and racks have a 5mm unthreaded hole, so that's going to be the screw of choice either way.

Of course, there are always exceptions, so confirmation by measurement or trial and error is still the best course, which is why I suggested it.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-06-11, 11:26 AM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As I said, most threaded eyes are M5. Unthreaded eyes are usually bigger to accept an M5 screw (or bigger) and nut. M5 is fairly standard threaded eye or not, because most fenders and racks have a 5mm unthreaded hole, so that's going to be the screw of choice either way.

Of course, there are always exceptions, so confirmation by measurement or trial and error is still the best course, which is why I suggested it.

Excellent. Thanks for the advice!
Old 09-06-11, 11:38 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts

Close to 100% of modern rack mount eyes are M5 threads (a 10-32 will also work). However, older bikes may not have the same size rack mounts. I've had bicycles in the distant past that required drilling out the rack itself so that it would fit. Those are M6 bolts. Given the age of this bike, it may be one of those rare (for today) larger bolts.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-06-11, 11:54 AM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Close to 100% of modern rack mount eyes are M5 threads (a 10-32 will also work). However, older bikes may not have the same size rack mounts. I've had bicycles in the distant past that required drilling out the rack itself so that it would fit. Those are M6 bolts. Given the age of this bike, it may be one of those rare (for today) larger bolts.
OK, 100% probability that it is M5, unless it is M6. Got it! TrialAndErrorVille, here I come!

Last edited by DCB0; 09-06-11 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-06-11, 12:02 PM

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
DCBO: I rebuilt an old Schwinn Collegiate which was tapped for M6X1 rack and fender hardware.
Old 09-06-11, 12:09 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
DCBO: I rebuilt an old Schwinn Collegiate which was tapped for M6X1 rack and fender hardware.
Good to know. M6 is starting to sound like a possibility, too!
Old 09-06-11, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
I just did a frame up build on an old CCM and here is what I found. Front fork fender stay mounts were m5x.8, two holes on either side on the rear dropouts, one for fender stays had an unthreaded hole that an m5 bolt would pass through, and a rack mount hole that an m6 bolt passed through.
I ran an m6x1 tap through the fender stay hole, and it worked out great.
Old 09-06-11, 12:24 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
I just did a frame up build on an old CCM and here is what I found. Front fork fender stay mounts were m5x.8, two holes on either side on the rear dropouts, one for fender stays had an unthreaded hole that an m5 bolt would pass through, and a rack mount hole that an m6 bolt passed through.
I ran an m6x1 tap through the fender stay hole, and it worked out great.
Good to know. However, the rear dropouts look kinda thin, so if they aren't already threaded I think I will just use a nut... there is plenty of room with the IGH - not like a 10 speed cassette where a nut on the inside would interfere with the chain.

Thanks for the info!
Old 09-06-11, 01:08 PM

DCBO: If you end up using a nut, an elastic stop nut will resist loosening due to vibration if there is no room for a lock washer. Blue Loctite is another possibility.
Old 09-06-11, 01:30 PM

Bikes: Bike Nashbar AL-1 ,Raligh M50 , Schwinn Traveler , and others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You can also put the bolt in backward (the head of the bolt inside the frame ) so there will be clearance for the chain . Just put the nut on the outside of the rack or fender .
Old 09-06-11, 01:58 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by DCB0
The vast majority will be M5, a small number are unthreaded or M6.
Old 09-06-11, 02:02 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikeman715
You can also put the bolt in backward (the head of the bolt inside the frame ) so there will be clearance for the chain . Just put the nut on the outside of the rack or fender .

If I had limited clearance I could certainly use button head bolts on the inside of the stay, however there is a tonne of clearance between the dropout and the cog on the IGH so this shouldn't be an issue.

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
DCBO: If you end up using a nut, an elastic stop nut will resist loosening due to vibration if there is no room for a lock washer. Blue Loctite is another possibility.
I don't think I will be able to get 'elastic stop' nuts (do you mean nylon insert nuts or something else?) I will be using simple stainless hardware that is lying around. But I do have blue locktite to I will probably use that. I find is is effective as a threadlocker and as an antisieze.

Thanks, lads!
Old 09-06-11, 02:03 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The vast majority will be M5, a small number are unthreaded or M6.
Excellent. I will make sure I have a selection of both and I will fill you chaps in later!
Old 09-06-11, 03:56 PM

DCBO: An advantage to your suggestion to put the bolt heads on the inside is that if you should happen to shear off one of the bolts you will be able to easily drive out the remaining piece of the bolt.
Old 09-06-11, 07:09 PM

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
So I (I am also DCB0) got a selection of bolts and checked the frame and fork... all the holes are just big enough to accept an M5, but they are not threaded. I could not scrounge up any M5 nuts so I will have to wait until I do to mount the rack and fenders. Luckily, the Torino 76 is replacing a perfectly functional bike that I have on long term loan from my young sons, so there is no urgency to the repair. Thanks to all who replied!