Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Another Route Question - From Guadalupe to Santa Barbara - navigating Vandenberg AFB

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Another Route Question - From Guadalupe to Santa Barbara - navigating Vandenberg AFB

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-11, 06:35 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Ranger 3.4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My second question about the route is to find the best path between Guadalupe through the Vandenberg AFB to Goleta, just west of Sa Barbara.

Based on the maps I have studied, the path I am contemplating of taking is going south on Cabrillo Hwy at Guadalupe, and take Black Rd (which becomes Lompoc Casmalia Rd and San Antonio Rd) and meet with Cabrillo Hwy again briefly, follow California Blvd at the Vandenberg AFB and 13th street, and break south on West Ocean Ave all the way to Lompoc.

At Lompoc I'd meet with San Julian Rd / Cabrillo Hwy again which meets with the 101 and goes all the way to Santa Barbara.

2 questions:

* What has the experience been for people here who have taken that route? Are there any better routes than the one I outlined?

* What is the deal with riding through the streets at Vandenberg AFB? Is it ok to do so? I did ride through the US Marine Camp Camp Pendleton several times before on my way to San Diego, but they allow riders to ride through the base as long as you show an ID. I wonder if there it is similar here as well.
Old 09-09-11, 07:49 PM
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Cieous
What is the deal with riding through the streets at Vandenberg AFB? Is it ok to do so?
https://www.vandenberg.af.mil/questions/topic.asp?id=746
Old 09-09-11, 08:22 PM

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
It's been a while since I took that trip myself, but I recall taking hwy 1 all the way through Lompoc onto Gaviota state park where I connected onto 101 to Hollister Ave. BUT, I know that since I did that they have built up quite a bit out there were Hollister runs into 101 so I'm not sure if there are new roads before that you will need to get off due to highway restrictions on 101 for bicycles, you'll need to check current maps on that.

Be careful riding through the base though because the law enforcement there is very very strict so obey all street laws, in other words don't run stop signs or lights just because your on a bike. And there's just one turn the 1 makes there which then sets you up for a straight shot to Lompoc.

I had no problems riding the streets of Lompoc or 1 or the 101. Lompoc use to have signs marking the streets that followed the 1, but I don't recall the actual street names, again consulting a map will show route 1 through Lompoc with the names of the streets. But I recall it being real direct through Lompoc, I think there was just one turn in Lompoc then one again on the outskirsts where one highway went East and Hwy 1 went south.

It's a good ride and fun to do. Do take a bright rear tail light because fog sometimes gets thick, and I think you have to go through a tunnel on 101, but can't recall if the tunnel was before or after the 1 because I ridden both parts of the 101.

Just a word of advice, which I'm sure your going to do anyway, but make sure you take two pumps in case one breaks, yes it does happen especially with today's minis! Take a spare tube AND a spare tire, your kind of in a remote area and having a tire blow could be an issue. You can fold a tire up small enough to fit a expandable wedge seat bag along with the tube and tools. Make sure you carry patches, I prefer glueless but that's your choice. I aways attempt to fix a flat first before resorting to the spare tube. I also take a tire boot patch in case a slash on the tire I can reinforce it with a boot.

I've ridden from San Francisco at the Amtrak station and rode back to Santa Barbara where I use to live some years ago. I miss the ocean.

Last edited by rekmeyata; 09-09-11 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-10-11, 09:40 PM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cieous
My second question about the route is to find the best path between Guadalupe through the Vandenberg AFB to Goleta, just west of Sa Barbara.
Best or easiest? When I rode from SF to LA in 2009, I took Highway 1 through Orcutt then followed 135 to Harris Grade Rd. Went over the Harris Grade and into Lompoc rejoining Highway 1 there. Followed Highway 1 until it merged with US101 just north of Gaviota State Park. Rode on the shoulder of 101 into Goleta, exiting at Hollister Ave.

The nice thing about this route is the general absence of cars... until you get to 101. The downside is it involves some climbing. The Harris Grade, as I recall, is around 5-6% but reasonably short; I thought it was a piece of cake compared to Big Sur. The climb out of Lompoc is around 2%, but lasts for 12-13 miles and there's very little shade anywhere. I managed to hit it at around 1pm on one of the hottest days of the year. By the end, I'd gone through 68oz of sports drink, taken brief breaks in the shade offered by bushes twice, and was wondering whether I was going to experience heat exhaustion.
Old 09-11-11, 09:24 AM
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
I've done both Harris Grade Rd. and Hwy 1 into Lompoc and I second sstorkel's comment about taking 135 to Harris Grade Rd. into Lompoc. Also, I find the mostly gentle climb on Hwy 1 from Lompoc to 101 to be some of the best riding south of San Luis Obispo.

Here is what I wrote about Hwy 1 in an SF to LA trip journal in 2009:

Eventually, Highway 1 climbs up to and joins Highway 135 going south. These two highways separate in a couple of miles and the ACA route (and judging by all the writing on the road several other organized rides) takes the 135 to Harris Grade Road into Lompoc. But, my host for the night had convinced me to take Highway 1 into Lompoc.

It is a bit odd climbing up the ramp to Highway 1 as there are several "wrong way" messages painted onto the road. This section of Highway 1 has a good shoulder but is four lanes, high speed, and right next to the Vandenberg Air Force Base.

I was getting tired and hungry so I pulled off the road to have a bite and rest a bit. The fence was plastered with warning signs prohibiting entry into the Air Force Base.

I rode along Highway 1, which is quite lumpy, all the way to the entrance of the Base, where it takes a sharp left turn. The road from the Base to Lompoc had a very bumpy shoulder. It looked like someone had driven some very heavy vehicles on it and I had to pay attention to what I was riding over.
I have photos and descriptions of Harris Grade Rd. and Hwy 1 south of Lompoc in one of my SF to LA trip journals.

Have a great time,

Ray
Old 09-12-11, 03:33 PM

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
I had no problems riding the streets of Lompoc or 1 or the 101. Lompoc use to have signs marking the streets that followed the 1, but I don't recall the actual street names, again consulting a map will show route 1 through Lompoc with the names of the streets. But I recall it being real direct through Lompoc, I think there was just one turn in Lompoc then one again on the outskirsts where one highway went East and Hwy 1 went south.
A right turn coming into town on the 1, left down at Ocean, and another right about a mile further to follow 1 south. All well marked, if you're paying attention.

It's a good ride and fun to do. Do take a bright rear tail light because fog sometimes gets thick, and I think you have to go through a tunnel on 101, but can't recall if the tunnel was before or after the 1 because I ridden both parts of the 101.
You've got a tunnel northbound on the 101 just before the 1 exits, but no tunnel southbound. The road is narrow and curvy going down the creek, though.