Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Saddle Survey Results

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Saddle Survey Results

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-11, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Saddle Survey Results

The original thread was posted 8/28 - https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ide-most-often

Because the survey asked individuals to identify the saddle (singular) they used the most, I only counted those responses that had a singular saddle listed. Those with multiple responses or ambiguous responses are not included in the data presented below.
Obviously, there are limitations to what the data tells use. First, the sample size is very small. Second, there may be factors that would lead owners of one particular brand or model of saddle to respond when others did not (e.g., it may be possible the owners of Brooks saddles are more likely to respond due to the ridicule they sometimes receive, which some might argue has created a fervent brand loyalty). With these limitations in mind, I list the top three brands in terms of frequency mentioned and the top model within that brand. Only the top three are listed, because the drop off to the next brand is considerable. In fact the drop between the first position and the second is also considerable.

1. Brooks - top model - B17
2. Fizik - top model - Aliante
3. Specialized - top model - Romin

Based on this information, the next time someone 50+ asks me what saddle they should consider, I'll likely respond in the following way: "Everyone has his or her own preference. So, what works for one may not work for another. However, it seems as if many individuals are happy with models from Brooks, Fizik and Specialized. So, I might start reading about and considering those first."
Old 09-11-11, 09:49 AM

Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think one of the best things about Specialized is the ability to buy different widths. I would have probably found their Avatar to be fine if mine had been a 131 instead of a 143.
Old 09-11-11, 10:42 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88

Based on this information, the next time someone 50+ asks me what saddle they should consider, I'll likely respond in the following way: "Everyone has his or her own preference. So, what works for one may not work for another. However, it seems as if many individuals are happy with models from Brooks, Fizik and Specialized. So, I might start reading about and considering those first."
I think it sums it up pretty good. Nice job on the survey btw, I was wondering if e would get a final on the survey. Thanks
kr
Old 09-11-11, 11:30 AM

Bikes: 2010 Globe Vienna Disc 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brooks FTW! Oh wait this wasn't a competition was it? Oh well...
Old 09-11-11, 03:17 PM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Wait, wait, I didn't get a chance to reply. Not that it would have made any difference, because no one else listed what I ride most often.

Since I don't swap my bikes' saddles on a daily basis the original question boils down to which bike I ride most often. That would be the bike I commute on three days a week. Its saddle is the original Norex, a brand made by Ideale I believe. It's only 39 years old.

However my other solo bike and the tandem both have WTB Speed V saddles. I don't get to ride them much.

You may now return to your regularly-scheduled Brooks Worship.
Old 09-11-11, 03:27 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Makes sense to me. I have Brooks B17 on tourer and Aliante on Synapse. Incidentally, both are shaped very similarly.
Old 09-12-11, 08:37 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Ok, I missed it. I'd have said Selle AnAtomica - three of them in use right now.
Old 09-12-11, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12188 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 1,106 Posts
I recently went back to using the Selle Anatomica.

Nice saddle.