Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bicycle brand country of origin

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 09-11-11, 11:49 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts

Just wondering if anyone knows of a web site that shows where the various bicycle marques have their bikes made. Is everything made in Taiwan and/or China?
Old 09-11-11, 12:51 PM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
"Is everything made in Taiwan and/or China?"

No, everything is not made in Asia. Worksman cycles is located in NYC,NY and has been for the last 100+ years in the cycle business.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 09-11-11, 12:58 PM

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightshade
No, everything is not made in Asia. Worksman cycles is located in NYC,NY and has been for the last 100+ years in the cycle business.
Well, that is true, but they are strictly a "boutique" manufacturer, and do not make mass produced bikes.

But I think it is very safe to say, that nearly every major bike name these days is made in Taiwan. If you want an American made or Italian made bike, you will pay dearly for it these days. You have to go back to the late 80's - early 90's to see mass produced bikes made in the USA, Japan, or Italy...
Old 09-11-11, 01:46 PM
Getting older and slower!

Bikes: Trek Domane 6 series Project One, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Trek XO1, Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I believe the higher end Madone frames are still made in the USA.
Old 09-11-11, 01:47 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Cannondale was made in the US of A until just a couple of years ago (2008/2009).

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-11-11 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-11-11, 01:47 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I got called all sorts of names in the road bike forum for answering a similar question. I read an engineering white paper a while back that had to do with carbon fiber manufacturing that focused on the automotive and bicycle industry. The article said that most of the European bikes are manufactured in their perspective countries. The term "Manufactured" can mean a few things. It can mean that all the parts are manufactured in a specific country or it can mean that some parts are manufactured elsewhere but the item is assembled in a specific country. So if the bike has Shimano or SRAM components, we know that not all of the bike was manufactured by that specific country. It's like saying that American cars are made in the USA when transmissions and many of the engine and interior parts are made overseas or in Canada and Mexico.

According to the white paper, European manufactures do not outsource as much as Americans do. So I am assuming that low to middle end frames and forks are made in Taiwan and China and that their higher end frames are made in their respective countries. Now lets see how bad I get bashed on this forum.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 09-11-11, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Trek's FAQ says their high end bikes are still built in the USA. Of course that says nothing about where the components and material are sourced.

https://www.trekbikes.com/faq/questio...?questionid=90

Is my bike made in the USA?

We continue to produce many of our bicycles in the US with a focus on our higher-end OCLV carbon fiber offerings. All of our bikes are designed and engineered at our headquarters in Waterloo, Wisconsin though select road, ATB, comfort, hybrid, urban and kids’ bikes are produced by Trek-specific overseas vendors. Bicycles produced overseas follow the same stringent quality standards as our domestically built bikes. No matter where your bike is produced quality is stock on every Trek built.

My 2012 7.3fx was made in China

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
trekChina1.jpg (93.2 KB, 35 views)
Old 09-11-11, 04:11 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Just wondering if anyone knows of a web site that shows where the various bicycle marques have their bikes made. Is everything made in Taiwan and/or China?
No, but a bicycle is an assembly of parts, and those parts can come from all over, so it's hard to determine where it's made. Here is an example, Opus buys components from Shimano that are made in Malaysia, then combines that with a frame made in Taiwan, and does the assembly work in Canada, so where is it made?
Old 09-11-11, 04:17 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogster
................ so where is it made?
Earth?
Old 09-11-11, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
I got called all sorts of names in the road bike forum for answering a similar question. I read an engineering white paper a while back that had to do with carbon fiber manufacturing that focused on the automotive and bicycle industry. The article said that most of the European bikes are manufactured in their perspective countries. The term "Manufactured" can mean a few things. It can mean that all the parts are manufactured in a specific country or it can mean that some parts are manufactured elsewhere but the item is assembled in a specific country. So if the bike has Shimano or SRAM components, we know that not all of the bike was manufactured by that specific country. It's like saying that American cars are made in the USA when transmissions and many of the engine and interior parts are made overseas or in Canada and Mexico.

According to the white paper, European manufactures do not outsource as much as Americans do. So I am assuming that low to middle end frames and forks are made in Taiwan and China and that their higher end frames are made in their respective countries. Now lets see how bad I get bashed on this forum.
Yeah, well... In cycling, "where a bike is made" generally refers to where the FRAME was constructed. Not where it was finished, not where the bike was assembled, and not where the components came from. Which means that the vast majority of carbon go-fast bikes are made in Taiwan or PRC. This includes most of the well-known US and European brands.

Mentioning the auto industry in this is interesting. These are the same folks who got the Ford Crown Victoria (an all-American land yacht if there ever was one) classified as an import by sourcing many of the components from Ford plants in Windsor, Ontario, just across the river from Detroit. Why? As an "import" it didn't count in Ford's Corporate Average Fuel Economy numbers. So there's all kinds of ways to spin the "where it's made" question.

SP
Bend, OR
Old 09-11-11, 07:06 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This might help some. Not a complete list and not as up to date as you might like.
https://wannabteam.co.za/?page_id=1422
Old 09-11-11, 07:33 PM
Cycle Year Round

Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Cychologist
I believe the higher end Madone frames are still made in the USA.
If it says OCLV carbon, made in USA. If it says TCT or anything else, not USA.
Old 09-12-11, 05:05 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbycorno
Yeah, well... In cycling, "where a bike is made" generally refers to where the FRAME was constructed. Not where it was finished, not where the bike was assembled, and not where the components came from. Which means that the vast majority of carbon go-fast bikes are made in Taiwan or PRC. This includes most of the well-known US and European brands.

Mentioning the auto industry in this is interesting. These are the same folks who got the Ford Crown Victoria (an all-American land yacht if there ever was one) classified as an import by sourcing many of the components from Ford plants in Windsor, Ontario, just across the river from Detroit. Why? As an "import" it didn't count in Ford's Corporate Average Fuel Economy numbers. So there's all kinds of ways to spin the "where it's made" question.

SP
Bend, OR
Why the frame? Generally with products of all kinds, including a lot of food products, the country of production is where the most value was added, so if bicycle company X, buys $85 worth of parts from Malaysia, and a $100 frame from Taiwan, then has it assembled and boxed in the USA at a cost of $105 then it would be considered made in USA. The same bicycle assembled in China at a cost of $10.50 would be considered made in Taiwan. I think the last true made in USA bicycle was a Chicago Schwinn....
Old 09-12-11, 05:24 AM

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Surly Karate Monkey, Specialized Fuze, Bianchi Volpe, too many others and a lot of broken frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts
The prices do not reflect where they are made. Cannondale didnt drop their prices by outsourcing their frames.
Old 09-12-11, 05:38 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
The US National Bicycle Dealers Association reports that in 2010, 99% of all bicycles sold in the USA were imported from Taiwan or China. These bicycles are built up from components from those countries and other mostly Asian countries.

Item: SRAM is in the process of closing the internal gear hub factory in Schweinfurt, Germany - where IGHs have been manufactured since 1904 - and moving production to Dali, Taiwan. Reason? To massively shorten the supply line, as most European OEMs have moved their production to Taiwan or China.
Old 09-12-11, 05:51 AM
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Cannondale was made in the US of A until just a couple of years ago (2008/2009).
Cannondale is popular in Europe and a few years ago proudly proclaimed there too that it was made in USA. Has that changed?
Old 09-12-11, 05:53 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Ken Brown
Cannondale is popular in Europe and a few years ago proudly proclaimed there too that it was made in USA. Has that changed?
Yes, as of 2008-2010 or so.

https://urbanvelo.org/cannondale-clos...on-facilities/

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-12-11 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09-12-11, 05:54 AM

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 2008 Cannondale Six13 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken Brown
In Late 2008 Cannondale sold out to Dorel Corp, at the end of 2009 and early 2010 Cannondale moved all frame manufactoring to Asia. The CADD 9 was the last made in USA frame. (for Cannondale)

Last edited by dguest; 09-12-11 at 05:58 AM.
Old 09-12-11, 05:57 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by Wogster
Generally with products of all kinds, including a lot of food products, the country of production is where the most value was added, so if bicycle company X, buys $85 worth of parts from Malaysia, and a $100 frame from Taiwan, then has it assembled and boxed in the USA at a cost of $105 then it would be considered made in USA.
Not true. "Made in USA" has a legal definition enforced by the Federal Trade Commission's Department of Consumer Protection. The definition is quite strict and this definition is different than "Country of Origin" for imported products.

In your example the manufacturer could legally claim "Assembled in USA from imported components".

Last edited by tcs; 09-12-11 at 06:05 AM.
Old 09-12-11, 06:02 AM
Banned.

Cannondale moving article:

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...cilities-21101
Old 09-12-11, 07:47 AM

Bikes: Canyon Roadlite AL

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Heck, if you want to drill down even deeper, you might be surprised at how many brands (Felt, Jamis, Kona and Trek among others, including most of the BikesDirect brands) come from one manufacturer - Kinesis.
Old 09-12-11, 08:25 AM

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And drilling even deeper, where is the titanium, molybdenum, chromium, aluminum, etc. mined these days? Thanks to the EPA in the States, probably not in the USA. I understand Russia has the largest titanium reserves...
Old 09-12-11, 08:31 AM

Bikes: Current bike is a Gary Fisher Aquila MTB (1996??); had it since new. Looking to buy a good (but not HUGELY expensive) touring bike. Gotta save the $$$. I'm in real estate.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 1996 Gary Fisher that proclaims "frame made in USA," but everything I've seen recently has been made in Asia somewhere. It's frustrating, but that's how it is.
For a good reference to the changes we've seen, watch a film like "The French Connection" (70's, I think), and notice what's in the car chases. Then watch a new film. That's as good a point of reference as any. I hope we do make a comeback in manufacturing. I"ve always believed it was better for us if we make our own stuff. That was Wal-Mart's philosophy, until Sam Walton died. I may find an old bike and build it up (out of Asian parts, DARN it), just to be different.
Steve B
Old 09-12-11, 09:27 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by stevencbradley
I hope we do make a comeback in manufacturing.
The USA is by far the world's #1 manufacturing nation, producing almost 1.5X what #2 country (China, with over 4X the US population) does. With 4.5% of the world's population, the USA produces over 22% of the world's manufactured goods. The US's manufacturing sector, measured in constant dollars, is almost 2X what it was 40 years ago. If anyone wants to learn (gasp, I know, we're over 50), all these numbers are easy to look up.

Two points:
1) No, not as great a percentage of the US workforce is employed in manufacturing these days. And...not as many folks work on farms any more, either.
B) Bicycles are by-and-large 1890s technology.
Old 09-12-11, 10:23 AM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
...except for those models that weren't.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.