Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Friend Traveling China: Is there a Folder he should look into, good deal?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-11, 12:49 PM

Bikes: Bakfiets, 1999 GT Nomad Hybrid, early 70's Schwinn Cruiser 5, Bridgestone MB-3, Trek 520 Disc, Electra Ticino 8D, Ochsner blue Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello.

My buddy is training for INTEL in China for about a month.

Of course, I could not help but think "hmmm... Birdie, Dahon, there are others being built there, or nearby....should be able to get us a sweet deal on a few bikes...?"

We both would love Bromptons, but are in no position in life to spend a grand on a bike. But $100 or so... we could. I would like a good solid folder for when I need one around town. Good quality, maybe capable of touring.

I ride a 19" frame via my Hybrid or a Medium frame on my Uptown 8 Breezer. Specific bikes we should look into and any details about traveling home with them on the flight (baggage check in?) as well as size would be great.

I would also like a Flying Pigoen to put better components on in time, something upright and comfy. I assume those are under $50 there? That might be more involved to carry on the flight though, but it might be easy enough to get a box from the pigeon dealer or just get one already boxed up?

Thanks!
Old 09-12-11, 01:13 PM

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I bought a 6-speed Dahon HT060 for $110 there. I packed it into a soft bag. The check-in, in my memory, was with Air China. Looking at the bag's unusual shape, they requested an X-ray in the area of an oversized luggage. They consulted with an officer there and took the bag in without much additional discussion, charge or anything.
Old 09-13-11, 10:57 AM

Bikes: Bakfiets, 1999 GT Nomad Hybrid, early 70's Schwinn Cruiser 5, Bridgestone MB-3, Trek 520 Disc, Electra Ticino 8D, Ochsner blue Road Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
I bought a 6-speed Dahon HT060 for $110 there. I packed it into a soft bag. The check-in, in my memory, was with Air China. Looking at the bag's unusual shape, they requested an X-ray in the area of an oversized luggage. They consulted with an officer there and took the bag in without much additional discussion, charge or anything.
Is it fair to say some of the higher line ones are available in China as well? I figure that the H6 is likely perfectly fine as well though. Has yours been pretty solid?

I looked around the Dahon site and could not find the HT060. Is there a new equal model? https://www.dahon.com/choosing/utility/20/deluxe

I am thinking a Speed D 7? The Ciao P7 and Boost seem like higher end models... but at the right price...
Old 09-13-11, 11:01 AM
Idealistic Troublemaker

Bikes: Friday, Brompton, Soma, Fuji, Haro, No_Name...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Higher ones will be close to western prices, but why not get a CN-only model as an extra souvenir? Search this forum for "dragon"....

I bought a 16" folder in BJ for a whopping 370RMB, rode it all over the inner-ring zone, brought it back on United with only a little grumbling & no fee
Old 09-13-11, 12:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe more like the Boardwalk but with gearing?

I saw the Dragon post. That does look interesting. Seems like a nice package for $300. However, I need to keep it below $160, unless there is something close to $200 that should not be passed up and is normally $500 here (I am not sure what a Speed 7 aluminum bike w/ a rear rack and decent serviceable equipment goes for there?). Anyone know that sweet spot in Dahon China buying?
Old 09-13-11, 12:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe more like the Boardwalk but with gearing?

I saw the Dragon post. That does look interesting. Seems like a nice package for $300. However, I need to keep it below $160, unless there is something close to $200 that should not be passed up and is normally $400+ here (I am not sure what a Speed 7 aluminum bike w/ a rear rack and decent serviceable equipment goes for there?). Anyone know that sweet spot in Dahon China buying?
Old 09-13-11, 01:44 PM

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by djkenny
Is it fair to say some of the higher line ones are available in China as well? I figure that the H6 is likely perfectly fine as well though. Has yours been pretty solid?
Just Google around for Dahon HT060. While in China it is marketed as Dahon, it might be marketed under some affiliation with Dahon outside. From photo comparisons, it appears to be a Boardwalk with 6 speeds. The quality is so-so. One of the holes in the rack was incorrectly drilled and the flaw was hidden under a washer. I do not enjoy needing to align the wheels by eye, while tightening the axle nuts. Otherwise it is OK and plenty of a bike for the price - not exciting but decent at some level. I think I went for it after it was ranked a best buy in Time Out for Beijing.

There had been higher models there too, but these were beyond my price horizon - I did not know enough at the time to jump. Just to provide a reference point, Bike Friday was more expensive than in the US, by about 20%.