Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacing Brake System

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Replacing Brake System

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-11, 12:48 AM

Bikes: 2002 Fuji Thrill SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Replacing Brake System

Hi guys,

I am new here, and this is my first post. So, please bare with me! I just bought a used 2002 Fuji Thrill SE that comes with the stock Promax disc brakes, which suck.. I want to replace them with Avid BB5. So, now I already had the Shimano v-brake lever. Should I only get a new brake system that includes the rotors and the brakes? Or do I have to replace the brake lever too? And another silly question, the bolt measurement for mechanical disc brakes are universal, aren't they? Or does it have an exact specification for each brand of bike? I'm afraid once I buy the brakes, it didn't fit on my bike. Thanks a bunch for your help!!!
Old 09-17-11, 01:17 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Being cable discs, the BB5's will be direct replacements for the Promax discs but don't expect a massive increace in performance, as the BB5's are still budget brakes.

With your current brakes, have you looked at the condition on the pads and cables?

The V-brake levers which worked with the Promax will work with the BB5's; the BB5's should come with new rotors and bolts, for the rotor bolts (these are a standard size for disc systems), as you are geting a new set with the BB5's, so why not use them

If you really want a performance increace, you really need to go hydraulic.
Old 09-17-11, 01:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
Being cable discs, the BB5's will be direct replacements for the Promax discs but don't expect a massive increace in performance, as the BB5's are still budget brakes.

With your current brakes, have you looked at the condition on the pads and cables?

The V-brake levers which worked with the Promax will work with the BB5's; the BB5's should come with new rotors and bolts, for the rotor bolts (these are a standard size for disc systems), as you are geting a new set with the BB5's, so why not use them

If you really want a performance increace, you really need to go hydraulic.
Well, I just replaced the brake pads, but not the cables. How to inspect the cables' condition? Yes, I will get the rotor bolts along with the brake system. I thought it would be a great increase in the performance between promax and bb5, since many people said that bb5 is way better than promax. Hydraulic is too expensive for me since I would not go extreme downhill. Thanks for the info!!
Old 09-17-11, 03:38 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by pao2
I thought it would be a great increase in the performance between promax and bb5, since many people said that bb5 is way better than promax.
The BB7 would be a best mechanical disc brake to get if you want better braking performance.
Old 09-17-11, 11:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can anybody tell me how to inspect the cables of braking system? How do we know if it's not good? Thanks!
Old 09-17-11, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
If the cables are orginal (from 2002) would just replace (inners & outers), as you don't have any reference for them as to how much they have stretched over they years.

For inspection, what condition are they in, do they pull smoothly, is there any rust on them, are they kincked / bent, are they too long, what conditon are the ends in (frayed) etc
Old 09-17-11, 03:40 PM

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
pao2: Since you are going to the time and trouble to replace your brakes you may as well put on nice new cables to go with your new brakes. They are the least-expensive component in a very important system on your bike.