Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Ask Scrod

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-12, 09:27 PM

Bikes: 2012 Cinelli Mystic Rat, Nashbar CX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Scrod,

What is an ideal wrench to carry for those crappy days I catch a flat?

Right now, I just carry a regular old Craftsman 15mm wrench. It serves it's purpose and all...certainly did the other day.

Just wondering if there is better alternative to that. I usually carry what I might need in my CamelBak. Thought I would ask before I went out and bought a shorter version of the same wrench...
Old 11-11-12, 09:57 PM
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
I honestly can't remember the last time I got a flat but I always carry a PDW 3Wrensho in my bag along with a tube, patch kit, C02 inflator & cartridges.
Old 11-12-12, 01:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It's 1:11. Does that mean something?
Old 11-12-12, 07:52 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
I honestly can't remember the last time I got a flat but I always carry a PDW 3Wrensho in my bag along with a tube, patch kit, C02 inflator & cartridges.
Cool wrench.

Wow really? Lucky you! I'm good for at least one a month. Looks like I carry pretty much the same thing as you do. What tire/tube combo are you running? I got a pair of the Michelin Ultralight tubes. They're a little pricy but they are a heavier gauge then what I originally had. Maybe that will help.

Glad I asked, thanks for the info... I'm ordering one now.
Old 11-12-12, 07:56 AM
Your cog is slipping.

Actually, I did get a flat over the summer on my beater Raleigh but the tires on that thing are crap. Even though I do ride it quite a bit, I never really count it as one of my "actual" bikes.

The 3Wrensho is awesome and will keep you from carrying a separate tire lever.

Click the PedalRoom links in my sig for info on my other bikes. As far as tubes go, I'm not picky.
Old 11-12-12, 08:57 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I see you really like the Velocity rims. I gotta a set of DeepV I laced up for my CX bike. After I initially rode and retrued everything, I've not had to touch them since. Really surprising after 2 years of riding on and off the pavement. Shouldn't have been that surprised though, the ones I have on my MTB have also been a great set too.

I still drool over the Archetype rims....what hubs would you go with on a set of those?
Old 11-12-12, 09:31 AM
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Ive had the pdw wrench for a few months now and its definitely awesome

it tought me that i was always over torquing my axle nuts
And that plastic levers suck, gonna get a set of the coated park levers to match
Old 11-12-12, 09:36 AM
Your cog is slipping.

Originally Posted by silmarillion
I see you really like the Velocity rims. I gotta a set of DeepV I laced up for my CX bike. After I initially rode and retrued everything, I've not had to touch them since. Really surprising after 2 years of riding on and off the pavement. Shouldn't have been that surprised though, the ones I have on my MTB have also been a great set too.

I still drool over the Archetype rims....what hubs would you go with on a set of those?
Velocity rims are a lot better than they seem to get credit for. Angie and I have both been really happy with every set we've ridden.

Archetypes are really nice and I'd really like to build a set for myself. I just built a set of polished ones laced to polished Profile track hubs for a customer and I was lusting after them like crazy.
Old 11-12-12, 10:02 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, just got the e-mail my wrench is on the way!

I'll have to look at the profile hubs a little closer.

I had been thinking about White Ind, Chris King, or DA or maybe even some AC hubs...I like the wheels that came on my Cinelli, those are my commuter wheels. I have been wanting to have an extra/better set of wheels for it too.

Black Archtypes, black AC hubs and Black spokes/nipples...Oh my!

That Cinelli Mash is an awesome frame...Too many toys, too little $$
Old 11-12-12, 11:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silmarillion
Wow, just got the e-mail my wrench is on the way!

I'll have to look at the profile hubs a little closer.

I had been thinking about White Ind, Chris King, or DA or maybe even some AC hubs...I like the wheels that came on my Cinelli, those are my commuter wheels. I have been wanting to have an extra/better set of wheels for it too.

Black Archtypes, black AC hubs and Black spokes/nipples...Oh my!

That Cinelli Mash is an awesome frame...Too many toys, too little $$
I've too have been lusting over some AC hubs laced to to archtypes or a23s in all black to match my murdered out capo.
Old 11-12-12, 08:50 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bael
I've too have been lusting over some AC hubs laced to to archtypes or a23s in all black to match my murdered out capo.
Very cool, I just made a new friend in the fixed community here. He has a bone stock Capo, very nice! With that wheelset it would be very stealthy!

So what would you say the comparison would be in the difference in the archtypes and the A23's would be?
Old 11-13-12, 03:24 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Bikes: All City Nature Boy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Scrod,

I'm considering going with Ti for my next road bike. Do you have any experience or thoughts on titanium?

It's either a 105 equipped bike with Zona(Mr. Pink) or a Rival equipped Ti bike. About a $700 price difference(for the titanium(. I don't have a bike shop local to me that carries any Ti bikes so I can't test-ride beforehand.

Thanks!
Old 11-13-12, 04:16 PM
Your cog is slipping.

Ti seems to be more of an attempted trend that never really took off aside from a (miniscule number of cyclists who swear by it) than anything else.

Other than working on a ti few bikes here and there at the old shop where I worked, I don't really have much experience with it - but I can tell you that everyone I've ever encountered riding a ti road frame has been either a Fred or an extreme weirdo with more money than physical or mental ability.

Personally, I think the cost/logic ratio is way off and titanium is overkill for what most normal people use bicycles for. An All-City rep brought a Mr. Pink into the shop about a month ago and I highly doubt you'll be let down in any way by that bike.

/steelisreal
Old 11-13-12, 05:03 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for talking some sense into me. The premium for the titanium bike really doesn't make sense, it just seems like it might be neat to try. Maybe I'll keep an eye on eBay when I get some extra money and see if I can pick up a used one for cheap.

Next dilemma that you may be able to help with; do I get the 2012 Mr. Pink with the Ritchey cockpit/seatpost and Formula/Alex wheelset, or do I wait a month and get the 2013 Mr. Pink with the Salsa cockpit, FSA seatpost, and 105/CXP22 rims?
Old 11-13-12, 05:21 PM
Your cog is slipping.

Wait.
Old 11-13-12, 05:23 PM
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
How you likin' the new wings?
Old 11-13-12, 05:56 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wait.
I'll probably replace the wheelset either way(thinking this one), do you think the Salsa cockpit is nicer than the Ritchey or were you primarily recommending I wait based on the better wheelset?

Last edited by ddeadserious; 11-13-12 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-13-12, 06:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Scrod or NS Consortium,

What's up with the Concor Supercorsa WCS? Basically the same as the Concor Supercorsa, but suede? What does WCS stand for?

Google couldn't tell me anything.
Old 11-13-12, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Scrod, can you share any truthiness about the differences between the KMC Devil 101 and the KMC K710SL chains? I wouldn't mind spending $10 extra to get something better but I don't want to be bamboozled by "track" appearing in the name of the product. Thanks.

https://www.retro-gression.com/produc...01-track-chain
https://www.retro-gression.com/produc...10sl-chain-1-8
Old 11-13-12, 09:12 PM
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Both are completely different from each other. For one, the connecting link is a bit different for the D101 than it is for the K710SL, in fact the D101 comes with a little packet of white lithium grease to use on the connecting link before installation. That doesn't come with K710SL. Can't go wrong either way, but I would probably say the extra $10 is worth the difference. Have used a K710SL and am currently on a D101.
Old 11-13-12, 09:16 PM
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BigglyPuff
Scrod or NS Consortium,

What's up with the Concor Supercorsa WCS? Basically the same as the Concor Supercorsa, but suede? What does WCS stand for?

Google couldn't tell me anything.
WCS = World Championship Series. In this case, the colorways of the "WCS" series of concors represent each color in the champion stripe from the rainbow jersey that a world champion gets to parade around in after winning.
/not scrod

5 colors, each representing a stripe, collect them all:

Old 11-13-12, 09:31 PM
Your cog is slipping.

Originally Posted by boom
Scrod, can you share any truthiness about the differences between the KMC Devil 101 and the KMC K710SL chains? I wouldn't mind spending $10 extra to get something better but I don't want to be bamboozled by "track" appearing in the name of the product. Thanks.

https://www.retro-gression.com/produc...01-track-chain
https://www.retro-gression.com/produc...10sl-chain-1-8
Originally Posted by Dannihilator
Both are completely different from each other. For one, the connecting link is a bit different for the D101 than it is for the K710SL, in fact the D101 comes with a little packet of white lithium grease to use on the connecting link before installation. That doesn't come with K710SL. Can't go wrong either way, but I would probably say the extra $10 is worth the difference. Have used a K710SL and am currently on a D101.
Dan's right.

Also, the D101 has bushings where the K710 does not and the plates are considerably thicker. I've used just about everything and honestly never thought I'd find a chain I liked more than the K710-SL and thought the Devil was mostly hype - until I finally bit the bullet and tried one (it's literally the quietest, most buttery-smooth chain I've ever used).

I've got about 1000 miles on my D101 and most likely won't ever use anything else after the K710 SLs on my BK and Leader wear out.

Dan - how is yours holding up?
Old 11-13-12, 09:31 PM
:)

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, Specialized Rockhopper, Norco Fluid FS1

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Doesn't yummy have a ti?
Old 11-13-12, 09:32 PM
Your cog is slipping.

Originally Posted by Leukybear
WCS = World Championship Series. In this case, the colorways of the "WCS" series of concors represent each color in the champion stripe from the rainbow jersey that a world champion gets to parade around in after winning.
/not scrod

5 colors, each representing a stripe, collect them all:

Thanks Leuky.
Old 11-13-12, 09:36 PM
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Dan's right.

Also, the D101 has bushings where the K710 does not and the plates are considerably thicker. I've used just about everything and honestly never thought I'd find a chain I liked more than the K710-SL and thought the Devil was mostly hype - until I finally bit the bullet and tried one (it's literally the quietest, most buttery-smooth chain I've ever used).

I've got about 1000 miles on my D101 and most likely won't ever use anything else after the K710 SLs on my BK and Leader wear out.

Dan - how is yours holding up?
Just fine, best chain I've ever used.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.