Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Derailer broke clean off, cable chopped, buying a new drivetrain.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-11, 03:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kitted ones were really expensive, and I need help figuring out if the parts I want to buy are compatible (I'm a college student with a bit of a price range) It's an '89 Cannondale 3.0 Aluminum series bike I believe... These are the parts I was going to grab:

-vintage shimano deore pedals and drive crank arm and chainrings 52, 45, 30

- Shimano STX 7 Speed Rear Derailer

- Shimano 7 Speed ST-EF60
3 x 7 Shifters / V-Brake Levers Set

-Shimano ST-EF60 Shifter Brake Lever EZ Fire 3X7sp 2

I'm gonna need a new front derailer too, I'm in the process of finding one

I'm trying to upgrade as inexpensively as possible from my tube shifters...
If this just looks completely out of whack I'm sorry I'm new to the bike world
Old 09-19-11, 05:39 AM
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
My own personal point of view on the 52/45/30 chainrings. In a hilly area like mine with a somewhat heavy bike, I would prefer a middle chainring that would be under 38 (like 34, whatever). And 30 for the smallest chainring is still a little big. Maybe 26 or 24.

I read rear derailleurs don't have speeds so it should be compatible with your shifters. I prefer shifter and brake levers seperately so I can adjust them at different angles.

Do you have a cassette for freewheel?
Old 09-19-11, 06:27 AM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
zwalk, To be clear, which derailleur broke off, front or rear? I'm guessing this is a mountain bike as you mentioned V-Brakes so there is a possibility that the front derailleur cage won't match well with the road style crankset. Unless you have V-Brakes already the lever set will deliver sub par braking.

Brad
Old 09-19-11, 12:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow I'm really impressed by everyones eagerness to help.

Its a road bike, those shifters are compatible with v brakes and disc...I kinda forget what mine are theyre kinda old.

Oh and its a rear derailer and from what I can tell its a casette
Old 09-19-11, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Got any pictures (= 1000 words) ? Did the hanger break off ? The hanger is the part of the frame the rear derailleur screws into.
I'm not 100% clear on what you want to do.
If your shifters are friction, or have a friction option, then you can mix & match a lot. For indexing, you need to be picky about compatibility.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 09-19-11 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-19-11, 01:01 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Well, if you have a road bike, then some of that MTB stuff is not going to fit. Yours should have side pull caliper brakes for example if you have a road bike. Post a pic of your bike, something is not quite right.

Do you have a hybrid??

Given the drivetrain you are looking to use, the cheapest option IMHO is to just pick up a complete MTB, ready to ride, put some smooth tires on it, and you are set. Mixing components, the lack of clarity of the exact details are both ways to end up spending extra money on stuff that doesn't fit right, isn't compatible with other parts, or whatever.

Even if your bike is cassette, you could have issues, as in 1989, a lot of Cannondales came with UNIGLIDE freehubs (obsolete).

Research first, grab parts later. Parts that come in the form of a complete bike have lower risk, as you know all of those parts play well together.

Last edited by wrk101; 09-19-11 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-19-11, 03:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pics incoming.
Its a 2 gear front crank (not sure if thats how to describe it)
Rear is 6.

I'm looking to just get all new stuff I'm over all the problems I've been having.

Please dont insult my ghetto paintjob haha.

https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/839/img1485jq.jpg/
https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62/img1513mu.jpg/

Thanks again, I haven't gotten this much help on a forum in a while lol
Old 09-19-11, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Not good. The hanger looks very bent. Aluminum does not like getting bent back & forth. You MIGHT be able to have it bent back and aligned by someone with the correct tool. Don't spend any money on parts until you have a bike shop determine if the frame can be saved. If you're lucky, then the frame has a replaceable hanger, but I can't tell from the picture.

Old 09-19-11, 03:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Not good. The hanger looks very bent. Aluminum does not like getting bent back & forth. You MIGHT be able to have it bent back and aligned by someone with the correct tool. Don't spend any money on parts until you have a bike shop determine if the frame can be saved. If you're lucky, then the frame has a replaceable hanger, but I can't tell from the picture.
Which part is the hanger, the bike shop didn't mention anything about the frame just my drivetrain is all they have said needs work

bought it used for 150, theres been lots of surprises
Old 09-19-11, 06:09 PM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
zwalk, Okay, first things first, it's a road frame. Bad news is that the rear derailleur hanger is integral to what's called a dropout rather than one that is replaceable (I also have an '89 Cannondale roadie.) and as it's aluminum maybe difficult to straighten. Post a picture like this..

..and one from the rear if you would.

Brad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
3.0 600 RDa.jpg (86.9 KB, 30 views)
Old 09-19-11, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Zwalk
Which part is the hanger, the bike shop didn't mention anything about the frame just my drivetrain is all they have said needs work

bought it used for 150, theres been lots of surprises
Did the bike shop actually see the bike ? Or just get a verbal description ?

This blue frame has a replaceble hanger. You can see that the bottom hole where the derailleur attaches is made of a separate piece of metal and attaches to the frame. Once aluminum gets a severe bend, it's often too fragile to bend back, and since hangers often get damaged, the replaceable hanger was invented. Now, I have fixed old Cannondale broken dropouts by rewelding in a new piece, but it's not something that is recommended or easily done.

A shop, with a hanger alignment tool MIGHT be able to bend it back well enough to make it work ...... It's worth a try, but don't be surprised if they say it broke off or got a bad crack while trying to fix it.

This steel one is non-replaceable. It's all part of the bike and cannot be replaced (maybe re-welded). Steel is stronger, so it won't bend as badly, and can better handle being bent back.

Last edited by Homebrew01; 09-19-11 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-19-11, 07:27 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1, 600, T700, MB-6 w/ Dirt Drops, MB-Zip, Bianchi Limited, Nashbar Hounder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From the 2nd imageshack pic, the RD hanger looks bent out about 20 deg. maybe to the right (yaw) and about 5 - 10 deg inward at the bottom (roll). There's also some kinking at the top curvature of the dropout. I can't tell by the quality of the photo whether that is just paint or some artifact of the picture quality or if the dropout is delaminating (maybe multiple layers of aluminum on that cantilevered dropout?). It's a tough call. It may be possible to bend it back and still retain some structural integrity. But it's hard to say. I'd have a hard time guarantying any work done to cold-set the RD hanger. It's possible to heat the aluminum, but to reach working temps, we're talking hot stuff - over 400C for hours and hours. And then a long, slow cool, and aging at a certain temp for some amount of time, and then quenching. Not sure if the paint would survive. But not a cheap process to do with a damaged frame. Probably cheaper to buy and new frame or turn it in for a warranty/replacement at some fee. Not sure if Cannondale still offers that. Maybe.
Old 09-20-11, 01:16 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
As others have said, proceed with great caution.
It may not be possible or practical to use that frame.
If you can use the frame safely it will be really easy to waste a lot of money buying parts for it that aren't compatible.
The six speed rear cluster is either Uniglide cassette or freewheel. Most indexed shifters on the market will not be compatible. It would be simpler, less expensive, and more trouble free to use the old shifters or similar shifters.
Old 09-20-11, 06:34 PM
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
If you're not aware, Nashbar sells cheap frames. And if you want to find quality 8 speed shifters on eBay, there are sometimes new old stock Shimano MC41 shifters for sale. I think going to 8 speed is slightly more rational sine 7 speed hubs are somewhat harder to find. I'd go with a Handspun rear wheel, Sram 11-32 cassette, KMC chain, MC41 shifters, Sugino Impel 150 crankset (42/34/24, don't forget the crank bolts), Shimano BB-UN54 bottom bracket (aluminium cup for the left side optional) and MKS Sylvan Touring pedals (or whatever you feel like, you can always put grip tape on them and Dimension reflectors).

Also, rear derailleurs don't have any "speeds" so you could use a 9 speed Deore rear derailleur. And you could add Shimano Acera brake levers if you're replacing shift/levers.

Last edited by hybridbkrdr; 09-20-11 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-22-11, 06:16 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
One other aspect to the 52/45/30 triple, you need an FD with a small vertical cage
which are not common now. EG: https://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...road/sora.html

In this photo from the shimano site, there are two FD pictured, the one on the R has
a large vertical amount of sheet metal on the back on the cage, the one on the L has
a much smaller amount of vertical sheet metal and is more appropriate for a 52->45
or even a 52->42 CW jump. The cage on the R will hit the 42 or larger CW when placed
in the 'correct' position and won't shift. Cage on R is designed for the 52/3->39 that
is common for the past few years on triples (and all doubles for much longer) and will not clear a larger than 39t middle cw.

OTOH I think the frame is toast. It might be possible to saw off the
hanger if it cracks and outboard a new mount.
Old 09-26-11, 11:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The shop has see the bike on multiple occasions and never mentioned the hangar I dont thing.

If it really is shot, if I got this frame https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...0_10000_202389

its cheap and lightweight and such, and had them throw all my parts on it...

I feel like I'm going to get owned with labor
Old 09-26-11, 11:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heres the thing, my front derailer was a little bent but it was working ok so i havent replaced it, I got a rear 7 speed shimano STX derailer that I just bought for like 30 bucks.
My casette is shimano and in pretty good shape, I didnt know if I should replace it, but its looking like I pretty much need a new bike which sucks because I just spent 150 on this one a month and a half ago.

I can buy the frame I put in the above post...and I have a "Blaze" crankset, and "Blaze" front derailer I believe. They're kind of trash.
I'm not sure if I should just buy new parts and pretty much come out with a new bike or what...

I was gonna get the bike "fixed" and put the new derailer on it today but if its a lost cause I wont, I meant it'll look kind of ghetto but I'll get the frame and put all my old parts on it. Maybe but a new crankset and new FD...

Will I need a new fork...this is just looking liek new bike territory which sucks because I was gonna pick up a MTB and possibly a camera lol

This is all I found when I searched for those shifters on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-STX-...#ht_500wt_1154

The thing is I need a bike, I'm parking my car where I shouldn't right now over near my school and its an accident waiting to happen

Last edited by Zwalk; 09-26-11 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-26-11, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Did you ask a good bike shop's opinion about fixing the hanger ?