Search
Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

I need a left MTB shoe....

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-11, 01:41 PM
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I need a left MTB shoe....

More specifically, I need the sole of a left MTB shoe that would accept the cleat for an eggbeater. I am working on a pylon/attachment for my prosthesis that will do away with the foot while riding, based on some advice from a member here who has used this method to eliminate chaffing behind the knee.
If any of you have a shoe that you can donate to this project I sure would appreciate it. My (doc) is going to use the shoe sole as a model to build a metal replacement that will hold the cleat and have raised sides to walk/protect the cleat, and allow for those to guide my "foot" to the cleat like a shoe does.

I apologize up front, I have very limited funds right now. I cannot pay for the shoe, I am hoping someone kept one that was worn out, and can send for this project. I have paypal, and can put some money in to cover the shipping cost to me.

Thanks up front for any assistance you could offer,
Martin aka punkncat
Old 09-20-11, 03:59 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
I don't , and sorry for the thread hijack, but this brings up an idea I've been considering, but don't know the etiquette involved.....

Would a stickie thread be something that would be good where members that only need 1 cycling shoe each, right and left respectively, could pair up to split a purchase if their shoe sizes were the same?

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 09-20-11, 04:06 PM
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I have many worn out shoes. The cleats are going to be hard to remove though because the bolts are worn out too. You might need a drill. Let me see what I can find.
Old 09-20-11, 04:23 PM
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Tom, I think it would be quite helpful. If what I am about to try works the way I hope it will I would only need one shoe in the future.

qmsdc15, It would be greatly appreciated. LMK what you find.
Old 09-21-11, 10:41 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by punkncat
More specifically, I need the sole of a left MTB shoe that would accept the cleat for an eggbeater. I am working on a pylon/attachment for my prosthesis that will do away with the foot while riding, based on some advice from a member here who has used this method to eliminate chaffing behind the knee.
If any of you have a shoe that you can donate to this project I sure would appreciate it. My (doc) is going to use the shoe sole as a model to build a metal replacement that will hold the cleat and have raised sides to walk/protect the cleat, and allow for those to guide my "foot" to the cleat like a shoe does.

I apologize up front, I have very limited funds right now. I cannot pay for the shoe, I am hoping someone kept one that was worn out, and can send for this project. I have paypal, and can put some money in to cover the shipping cost to me.

Thanks up front for any assistance you could offer,
Martin aka punkncat
Hmm. This is a long shot, but have you tried contacting someone like triathlete Paul Martin for advice? He's had a pylon fitted for clipless riding when he road for the US in the Paralympics.

Old 09-28-11, 05:46 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
Would a stickie thread be something that would be good where members that only need 1 cycling shoe each, right and left respectively, could pair up to split a purchase if their shoe sizes were the same?
sorry, cant help with the shoe, but I must share this story of my grandfather. In 1917 he went and absentmindedly left a leg over in Belgium at a place called Paschendale, and post war, for years and years and years, he had a Legion friend who had lost the other leg and they used to shop for shoes together in Toronto. My dad told me that this went on for probably 30 or 40 years.

All the best finding one for your use.