Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Neuvation wheels...?

Old 09-21-11, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Neuvation wheels...?

I'm considering buying a used bike that comes with a set of Neuvation wheels. I don't know which ones, specifically, because they aren't labeled. The bike is at a shop, and used to belong to an employee who moved to California; they said they'd ask him, but I'm not really expecting to find out. They have bladed spokes, not terribly many of them, and odd looking hubs. The shop tells me they're strong. We put the front wheel on a scale, with the tire and tube, and got to about 2 lbs. It sounds like they're circa 2005. They look a lot like the ones below.

Does anyone in here have experience with Neuvation wheels? Can anyone tell me anything that will help my decision?

I'll start a different thread about the bike itself. But, at 6'1" and 200 lbs, I'm particularly interested in how the wheels are likely to work out for me ... so I'm hoping somebody can shed even a little bit of light on the matter?

Old 09-21-11, 11:29 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I bought a pair of their 2011 M28X Aero wheels for backup, not trusting the OEM Shimano R510/105 set that came with the Synapse. Both sets have the same spoke count (16f/20r), which, as a former Clyde, is what spooked me a little bit about the Shimanos, but with the glowing reviews of strength and durability of the Neuvations, and a great sale price, I decided to bite - I figured they aren't likely to be any weaker than the Shimanos, plus the sale included their "wheel protection plan," so I thought they'd be worth a shot. So far I've only been out on them a couple of times, and they seem fine. Not sure I can feel any difference between them and the Shimanos, but then I don't know how they compare weight-wise to begin with.

Based on what I see on Neuvation's website, reviews I've read and some email exchanges I've had with John Nugent and some of his staff, they seem to me to be pretty much straight-shooters and genuinely interested in customer service.

The only thing I'm not thrilled about is the design of the QR lever - it has such an extreme, swooping "scallop" to the profile that it can sometimes be a little hard to operate if you like to keep your levers close to the fork blades or the stays.
Old 09-21-11, 11:41 AM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a set of M28 Aero2 wheels that I bought from Neuvation 3-4 years ago. I think I paid around $200 at the time. For the cost, they're a decent wheel.

They have 16 & 20 bladed spokes and a 28mm profile. I rode them at 22lbs and thought they were fine though they're noticeably less stiff than my Easton EA90SL or Kinlin XR-270/XR-300 wheelsets (both of which use 24/28 spokes). Which isn't to say that the Neuvations are bad, the ride is actually pretty plush compared to the Easton or PowerTap wheels. Spoke tension on the Neuvation wheels is very high, so if you broke a spoke the wheel would likely go out of true and be unusable until the spoke was replaced.
Old 09-26-11, 07:14 PM

Bikes: Soma Stanyan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out these reviews https://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wh...90_780crx.aspx I won a set and they are bomb proof.
Old 09-27-11, 05:07 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 4, Specialized Sequoia Comp

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my first pair of Neuvations this year after considering them for a long time. They are the M28 Aeros which I believe are the same ones you are considering. They are light, stiff and have held a perfect true over approximately 1,000 miles this season. Best thing about them are the hubs, which are incredibly smooth and dead silent. If you lift the bike off the ground and spin the wheel by hand, it will just keep spinning and spinning for many minutes before it finally slows to a gradual stop. Overall, I'm very pleased with them, especially considering their very reasonable cost. BTW, I am 5'8 and 175 lbs.

Last edited by wheelcrazy; 09-27-11 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-27-11, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
I bought the bike that came with these wheels a few days ago. So far I don't have a lot to say about them. As Wheel Crazy said, the hubs seem very, very smooth, and are silent. ( Personally I prefer them to make noise when I coast, but it's not very important. ) They don't go WOOOSH at speed. Mine are probably a few years old, maybe more, but are perfectly true and seem to be in very good shape.
Old 09-28-11, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a set of M28 Aeros on my bike that have over 5000 miles on them. Zero problems.

Well, I did suffer a broken spoke flange a year or two ago (was still able to finish the ride). I e-mailed Neuvation and sent them pics of it, and they replaced the wheel no questions asked. I broke it on a Saturday, e-mailed them Monday, and got a new wheel by the weekend.

I can't recommend them highly enough. I'm replacing the Mavics on my other bikes with Neuvations.
Likes For IAmCosmo: