Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hello Biking World!

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hello Biking World!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-11, 09:29 PM
WA2IEK

Bikes: Cannondale Hooligan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Biking World!

Well here is another gray beard turning back to something from his youth in order to regain some health! And I must say that after only 2 weeks of cranking away on my WallyWorld Schwinn Sidewinders (bought two) I really do feel MUCH better! I'm fairly sure that I'm in this to stay. Peace and reduced gas bills for all.....BB
Old 09-22-11, 12:32 AM
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Howdy, yup biking always brings back good memories
Old 09-22-11, 05:19 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by BouncinBob
Well here is another gray beard turning back to something from his youth in order to regain some health! And I must say that after only 2 weeks of cranking away on my WallyWorld Schwinn Sidewinders (bought two) I really do feel MUCH better! I'm fairly sure that I'm in this to stay. Peace and reduced gas bills for all.....BB
Hi Bob,

Welcome to Bike Forums.
Are you riding to work?

Old 09-22-11, 05:54 AM
DEK

Bikes: '11 Felt Z85

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Welcome to BF.
Old 09-23-11, 07:33 PM
WA2IEK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks to all who welcomed me, 10wheels: yes, I ride to work almost every day since about Sep 09. I have also taken them shopping as the mountain style handlebars turned out to be good to hang plastic bags from (unlike the La Jolla cruiser I upgraded from). I've taken them to the movies too. Even ridden in the rain as long as it's warm out. I'm averaging 7 miles a day right now. My average commuting speed seems to be about 9.5 miles an hour but I think today I averaged 11 mph as my wind and legs continue to improve. It's interesting to pedal up the gentle hill on the way to work and see myself using a little higher gear ratio each day. Like a fitness-O-meter right on the bike.
Old 10-02-11, 06:10 PM
WA2IEK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
range and speed update

I am feeling well after a 20 mile ride on NJ Route 130, going from Burlington City to Bordentown and then back. Toward the Bordentown side the hills were more challenging than I have dealt with so far, although I would still call them somewhat mild. I averaged about 9.5 miles per hour and did not generally try to push hard. My bike is a cheap one and has no optimizations for speed yet. As I have an enlarged heart, hypertension, and am about 50 pounds over a healthy weight, and am age 57, and using very basic equipment, I am very pleased with this ride.
Old 10-02-11, 09:34 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by BouncinBob
I am feeling well after a 20 mile ride on NJ Route 130, going from Burlington City to Bordentown and then back. Toward the Bordentown side the hills were more challenging than I have dealt with so far, although I would still call them somewhat mild. I averaged about 9.5 miles per hour and did not generally try to push hard. My bike is a cheap one and has no optimizations for speed yet. As I have an enlarged heart, hypertension, and am about 50 pounds over a healthy weight, and am age 57, and using very basic equipment, I am very pleased with this ride.
You are doing good Bob.
Check in with The Fifty Plus Forum.

Old 10-03-11, 12:33 AM
WA2IEK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
will do...

Thanks I'll take it over there soon. Just one last report here, I just came from my basic 7 mile fitness ride. This ride was important because it comes only 24 hours after that 20 mile ride. Some very minor sensations in my lower calf muscles toward the end of the ride today. I would not call it pain or soreness, just a reminder from my body that I'd had a serious ride the day before. A small sensation of stiffnes that's all. Good ride and some proof that I'm not about to break something I hope.