Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Oh yeah, feeling good

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-11, 07:41 PM
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Oh yeah, feeling good

A pair of jeans in the UK usually seems to cost £40 (about $60-65) whenever I buy them. At Wally World they are $15. So take a guess where I buy them...

That sets the stage for what's making me feel good about now. Three years back I was in the US and bought some jeans, with a 44-inch waist. They had a little wiggle room but not a lot.

In 2009 they were too big, so I bought some more with a 42-inch waist. By 2010 they were too big but I didn't have the baggage allowance to fit jeans in (paying $70 for an extra suitcase rapidly negates the savings buying jeans). So this year my 42-inch jeans are still too loose so I went to Wally World expecting to be buying some 40-inch jeans. But to my surprise the 40-inch jeans were loose, so I tried a 38-inch waist and they fit nicely. I even managed to get into a pair of 36-inch jeans, but not in a sense that I'd want to inflict upon the public at large.

Hopefully next year I'll be in a 36 or maybe even a 34.

So that's why I'm feeling good, I'm down a good 6 inches on my waistline, largely thanks to having pedals to crank!
Old 09-22-11, 10:06 PM
2nd Amendment Cyclist

Bikes: Schwinn 2010 World Street, Handsome Speedy w/ SRAM Apex

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Awesome.

Simply Awesome.

I'll never forget finally getting down to a waist size that started with a '3'. I was willing to go out and buy a pair of Levi's at that point - you know, the ones that advertise your waist size on the outside of the waistband.
Old 09-22-11, 11:00 PM

Bikes: 2009 Rocky Mountain RC30 D

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well done ...
Old 09-23-11, 08:24 AM

Bikes: Pre-Grant Peterson Bridgestone Mixte, Gazelle Champion Mondial Semirace Mixte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Woot! That has to feel awesome!!
Old 09-23-11, 09:07 AM
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RichardGlover
Awesome.

Simply Awesome.

I'll never forget finally getting down to a waist size that started with a '3'. I was willing to go out and buy a pair of Levi's at that point - you know, the ones that advertise your waist size on the outside of the waistband.
Heh, I could never see why people wanted the world to see their waist and inside leg measurement on jeans like that, but now I'm pleased that it starts with a 3 and not a 4 so it starts to feel more like an advertisement

I'm just wondering if a 34 is likely to happen by next year. I honestly couldn't say how long it is since I've been in a 34, I've started with a 4 for almost a decade.
Old 09-23-11, 09:15 AM

Bikes: Scattante road bike, Sporterra hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on this accomplishment! I just got there myself last week. I was threatening to go to a size that started with a "5" less than a year ago. I hadn't started with a "3" since high school (25 years ago, if you're keeping track!)!
Last week I bought 2 new pairs of 38 jeans as well as a handful of xl shirts. I've been wearing 4x shirts for at least 10 years!

Now if I can just get the second number down to a 4 or even a 2!! That would be amazing!! ...something to shoot for!
Old 09-23-11, 10:04 AM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
That's inspiring. I've been struggling with 45lbs I gained last year,and my jean size is the gauge also. When I can get back into my 34" pair, I will be done.

Marc
Old 09-23-11, 11:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardGlover
Awesome.
+1.

I've been in the 40's since the mid 80's. The next time I buy a pair of waist 38" pants (hopefully next spring), I'll be modeling them at a blowout of a party .
Old 09-23-11, 11:46 AM
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 2,534 Posts
Congrats, contango! I was just noticing myself that I'm feeling strangely comfy in my 40's. Another few months and maybe I'll be back in 3-land too.

This is funny; how many others are getting on this thread the ad from doubleclick.net for Levi's: "How skinny will you go? Shop skinny. Skinny, super skinny, crazy skinny". I don't think they got the right demographic here, but I guess we can always dream...
Old 09-23-11, 12:02 PM

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Awesome! I just switched from 50's to 40's last month. Cannot wait until I'm into the 30's.
Old 09-23-11, 03:34 PM
2 Fat 2 Furious

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Congrats, contango! I was just noticing myself that I'm feeling strangely comfy in my 40's. Another few months and maybe I'll be back in 3-land too.

This is funny; how many others are getting on this thread the ad from doubleclick.net for Levi's: "How skinny will you go? Shop skinny. Skinny, super skinny, crazy skinny". I don't think they got the right demographic here, but I guess we can always dream...
It always used to trouble me when I needed to buy a new pair of trousers and found I'd gone up a waist size. In the UK it's hard to find anything over a 42-inch waist unless you want to pay silly money, and since a pair of formal trousers typically only lasted me 4 months I didn't want to pay the silly money.

Funny to think of an ad about how skinny we'll go in the Clydes section. I never saw it, but then Adblocker is probably the best Firefox addon I ever found.

Originally Posted by Mithrandir
Awesome! I just switched from 50's to 40's last month. Cannot wait until I'm into the 30's.
Great news for you too! The psychological milestone when the first digit changes is always great. Looking forward to hearing you're in 3-land as well!