Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Cylco computer for Brompton?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-11, 02:42 PM
CSG

Bikes: 2002 Novara Ponderosa HT MTB 2011, Brompton M6L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

I prefer wired as it's potentially more reliable and accurate. I am very happy with the inexpensive Sigma BC1009 on my mountain bike but I can imagine problems setting it up on the Brompton with regards to folding and running the wire properly.

What have you other Brompton owners used successfully?

https://www.amazon.com/Sigma-BC-1009-...7069744&sr=1-1
Old 09-27-11, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have been through so many cheap cycle computers, which usually break within the first six months. They are just not worth it!

I have now settled on the wired Cateye Enduro 8 and run two of them on my two main bikes one of which is a Brompton. You can also reset the ODO if you lose the settings, someting that the cheaper ones don't have.

Regards

Jerry
Old 09-27-11, 08:29 AM
CSG

Bikes: 2002 Novara Ponderosa HT MTB 2011, Brompton M6L

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks Jerry. At $23 from Amazon it doesn't strike me as expensive. The BC1009 was around $18 and is going strong. I've been concerned with the constant fold and unfold and the Cateye heavier wiring sounds like a good idea.
Old 09-28-11, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CSG
I prefer wired as it's potentially more reliable and accurate. I am very happy with the inexpensive Sigma BC1009 on my mountain bike but I can imagine problems setting it up on the Brompton with regards to folding and running the wire properly.

What have you other Brompton owners used successfully?

https://www.amazon.com/Sigma-BC-1009-...7069744&sr=1-1
I ride a BF, not a Brompton but that shouldn't effect which computer works well. Yes - wired is potentially a little more accurate because of occasional interference on wireless computers, but the wireless ones have gotten a lot better in the last few years and on any folder, the less wiring to get tangled when you fold, the better.

The main problem with wireless on folders is that the smaller wheel puts the transmitter further from the receiver, so you have to be sure the one you buy has a strong enough signal. In that regard and for accuracy, I've had a good experience with a Cateye Strada wireless.
Old 09-28-11, 06:29 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rkokish
The main problem with wireless on folders is that the smaller wheel puts the transmitter further from the receiver, so you have to be sure the one you buy has a strong enough signal. In that regard and for accuracy, I've had a good experience with a Cateye Strada wireless.
I have had good and bad with the same Cateye Strada Wireless. Lately I have had two pickups in a row (the bit that mounts on the fork) stop working; I opened the one and found the antenna element which is a ceramic magnetic material (technically ferrite) was broken. I suspect this problem is worse on small wheels. Since then I have grown a bit cold on them.
Old 09-28-11, 10:50 PM

Bikes: Pacific-Reach SL

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I also have bad luck with wireless, wired is the way to go for me.

Juan