Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The helmet thread

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: Helmet wearing habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
10.66%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
5.63%
I've always worn a helmet
38.80%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
24.43%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
20.48%
Voters: 1670. You may not vote on this poll

The helmet thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-12, 08:50 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12741 Post(s)
Liked 7,656 Times in 4,060 Posts
Originally Posted by NCbiker
A helmet would be a better solution, but if you want to ride with training wheels and a seat belt, be my guest!
I have toe straps on three of my bikes. Do they count in lieu of seatbelts?

I dunno about training wheels. It's difficult to corner with them above 5 mph.
Old 11-02-12, 09:16 PM
Bicikli Huszár

Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I choose to wear a helmet most of the time and totally understand the capabilities of a cycling helmet.[...]
[...]I don't recall a single time where a helmet saved my life. This does not stop me from wearing one, as it only takes one such event to make all the times I've worn a helmet worth while.
Old 11-02-12, 09:23 PM
W A N T E D

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
*snip*

I dunno about training wheels. It's difficult to corner with them above 5 mph.
Do you have any studies to back that up?
Old 11-02-12, 09:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sudo bike
Okay, so you think there is no situation where a cycling helmet might save your life and I think there might be. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

Last edited by NCbiker; 11-02-12 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-02-12, 09:26 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by Juggler2
Do you have any studies to back that up?
I dunno about studies but I work at a non-profit bike shop and tomorrow I'm sure I could have my cohort shoot some video of me attempting to corner with training wheels @ 15 mph

I rarely wear helmets but I'd want to don one for that occasion. I think we have some elbow pads in the shop also.
Old 11-02-12, 09:31 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

That's about the 5th version of the helmet thread, also. Dunno if any of the previous locked ones are still up or got deleted.

I only wear them for special occasions, like going really fast or on sketchy terrain these days. However I wore one any time I was on two wheels from 1988-1998 (or therebouts).

I think they're optional. Good for beginners or aggressive riders, or anyone else who wants to wear one.

Kinda like some horse riders wear helmets and others don't. Some automobile drivers wear helmets but others don't. Short track speedskaters wear helmets but Longtrack speedskaters don't, etc, etc.
Old 11-02-12, 09:37 PM
Bicikli Huszár

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, so you think there is no situation where a cycling helmet might save you life and I think there might be. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.
I think if a helmet saves your life, it's by fluke and not design. I think the position that helmets will save your life in a collision is based on shaky evidence, and it doesn't seem logical to assume they would in lieu of less conflicting evidence. I think they can help mitigate some injuries and save you some stitches, sure, but save your life? No... I don't think current designs do this, and I think the lack of firm evidence confirms this.
Old 11-02-12, 09:50 PM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Helmets are a fine idea if you're riding in an area that might result in an unexpected tumble, whether from road conditions or other drivers or whatever.

They're hardly a panacea but then again, they're better than nothing if you accidentally bonk your head.
Old 11-02-12, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I wear one on club rides (where unfortunately there's a mandate), but not for most of my utility riding.
Old 11-02-12, 10:11 PM
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
In the summer I wear one, but in the winter I don't because of a big, thick wool cap I wear for warmth. PhotoJoe, have I ever told you that your dog is ugly?
Old 11-02-12, 10:13 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

I used to have a winter helmet with no pads that fit great over a toque. I might have to demote my current only helmet to winter helmet status if we get a cold winter this year.

I REALLY like having a helmet for snow/ice days.
Old 11-02-12, 10:16 PM
Tractorlegs

I used to have a winter helmet with no pads that fit great over a toque. I might have to demote my current only helmet to winter helmet status if we get a cold winter this year.

I REALLY like having a helmet for snow/ice days.
That's what I used to do. Take a helmet and remove the pads and just wear it over my wool cap, but this new helmet doesn't have removable pads. So, in the winter, no skid lid for Trac!
Old 11-02-12, 10:32 PM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The utility riders I see around town don't generally wear a helmet. The cyclists I see almost always have helmets on. 18 and over it's their choice of course, but under 18 helmets are mandatory in California.
Old 11-02-12, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
Hi Starbite,

You are new to the forum, and based on your previous posts, it does not look like you are posting this to start an argument (which happens more than you would think). Anyway, helmet threads almost always end up in a heated debate over whether or not helmets should be worn, people calling each other derogatory names, insulting the other members' mothers and dogs and on occasion, threats of nuclear war. OK, so I'm exaggerating. I don't think I've ever seen anyone insult someone's dog because of a helmet debate.

The admin's of the forum have mandated that AS SOON AS a helmet threads turns into whether or not you should wear a helmet, it be merged into the Advocacy and Safety forum's "Helmet Thread". So, we'll leave this here for now - in hopes that everyone can post whether or not they wear a helmet. I expect by page 3 it will have to be moved to A&S. If this were the 41 (Road Forum), it would have to be moved by POST #3. Thanks for understanding.

If you want a week's worth of reading about helmets, check it out!

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-helmet-thread

Oh, and my wife's and my choice is to wear a helmet every time we're on the bike, whether around the block, on the MUP or on the street.
It's sad that we (BF) cannot have a civil conversation about helmets. I think its one of those things that is best answered for oneself. This would work only if others would not attack others for their opinion on what works for them.
Old 11-03-12, 12:11 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'm betting troll. If not, delete the thread and let him read the other ten thousand helmet threads.
Old 11-03-12, 12:18 AM
On your right

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, so you think there is no situation where a cycling helmet might save your life and I think there might be. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.
Oh no, you can't agree to disagree. You must bicker.

Here's how it works here: I intentionally misstate your viewpoints and demand that you answer stupid, insincere questions. Then I demand that you provide independent statistics and studies, all of which I immediately dismiss. I use this emoticon to indicate I have just said something so unbelievably stupid that it warrants designation by an emoticon. If you ignore me like the twit that I am, I call you a troll.

So, getting back to the pity party, do you have any statistics to prove that we have to agree to disagree?

Last edited by Daves_Not_Here; 11-03-12 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-03-12, 01:01 AM
Bicikli Huszár

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's really not that bad as far as forums go. Been surprisingly civil conversations lately, the ones with mconlonx come to mind...
Old 11-03-12, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh Mr Beanz... remember the saying: Come as you are, you will be loved.

But if your a troll we will hunt you!
Old 11-03-12, 06:34 AM
OiS

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 6.9 Project One Livestrong, Single Speed "Tokyo Bike", BH 29'er, Trek California Cruiser Classic Springer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, I wear one when on my road bike, but for social rides at slow speeds on my "social" bike, I do not.
Old 11-03-12, 06:40 AM
Tractorlegs

Back to the OP . . . The term "most cyclists", do you mean most "serious" cyclists or most people on bikes? In my town the vast majority of people on bikes, especially those using bikes for their basic transportation, don't use helmets. But they ride in street clothes, ride BSOs for the most part, ride on the sidewalks when they can. It's really an interesting sub-culture of bicycle users, and most of them are downtown within a few blocks of the Mexican border (El Paso/Juarez). A lot of the bikes are elaborately set up for utilitarian use, and there's even some cargo trikes in use by a bunch of people riding around looking for items to recycle, especially cardboard. A lot of these riders go back and forth between El Paso and Juarez, and I think some of them use bikes because they don't have to wait in the huge lines of cars.

On the other hand, those of us that consider ourselves "serious" cyclists usually do wear helmets. But I think in this dusty little West Texas town we are by far the minority of cyclists, and it feels a little arrogant to me that I claim to be a "serious" cyclist while dismissing my helmetless bicycle friends downtown.

Some day I want to just hang around downtown with a camera and take pictures of some of these bikers. You would see a most interesting array of machinery. But these people are not interested in looking like Lance Armstrong . . .
Old 11-03-12, 08:47 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I always wear one. The reason I always do, is the worst fall I ever had took place where I least expected it to happen, riding at about 3 mph. Crossing from the road to a MUT, via a parking lot, wandered off the cement strip between the lot and the MUT onto the grass, and trying to edge back on, I caught a raised edge of cement flush against my front sidewall. You guys old enough to remember Laugh-In, where Arte Johnson would tombay? That's exactly how I went down. Hit flush on the helmet, and cracked it.

In winter, I have a helmet that has an adjusting wheel for the band liner. Easy to enlarge the band and slip it over a skullcap.
Old 11-03-12, 08:56 AM
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chefisaac
I do wear one all the time however it is only my choice and I tend not to preach on the subject. It is whats right for me. I think of it like wearing a seat belt.

My opinion
I don't think we disagree too much. And I really like this image you have:

Here are a couple points that I think are important.

* Statistically speaking, I think that if somebody is making the choice between riding a bike with no helmet and not riding a bike, that person is better off riding a bicycle than sitting on a couch not doing anything. I think that this is a very important point from a public health point of view and strongly suggests against helmet laws for adults. Note that this is quite different than seatbelt laws: If you refuse to ride in a car because you have to wear a seatbelt, then that is actually an upside of seatbelt laws (I think less car traffic is a good thing). So in this way, I think that seatbelt laws are different than bicycle helmet laws.

* As a bicyclist, I think people on bicycles will be safer the more people that we have out there riding bicycles. If passing helmet laws reduces those numbers (and there is some reason to think that it would), then passing helmet laws will make me less safe. Another reason against helmet laws for adults.

* There are instances where one is better off not wearing a helmet than wearing a helmet. I believe the evidence suggests, however, that statistically speaking, you are better off wearing a helmet.

So when people ask my opinion (or are riding on one of my bicycles), I tell them to wear a helmet. Always. My 3 year old asks me with a worried tone why that person over there on a bicycle isn't wearing a helmet.

Cheers,
Charles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
helmet2.jpg (34.6 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by cplager; 11-03-12 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Added bold
Old 11-03-12, 09:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daves_Not_Here
I'm sorry, I missed the page on rules. Oh wait, I'm I allowed to say I'm sorry?
Old 11-03-12, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
I'm sure I could have my cohort shoot some video of me attempting to corner with training wheels @ 15 mph
Yes please!

I rarely wear helmets but I'd want to don one for that occasion. I think we have some elbow pads in the shop also.
Wuss...
Old 11-03-12, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Daves_Not_Here
Originally Posted by sudo bike
It's really not that bad as far as forums go. Been surprisingly civil conversations lately, the ones with mconlonx come to mind...
Hmm. I must be doing something wrong...

I have little patience with the screeching harpies who form a fanatic but overly vocal minority on either end of this argument.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.