Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Light Wheels

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Light Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-04, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Light Wheels

I'm looking to turn my old raliegh mtbike into some form of roadie thing. First up would be the wheels as they weigh a hell of a lot more than my new mtbike's so I assume this could be a big improvement. Are frames a bit contributation to weight? It is an old steel thing. Whats a good lightweight 26inch wheel set for a resonable price. Say no more than £100ish. Don't need to be very strong maybe XC wheels of somekind.
Old 11-30-04, 01:07 PM
The Rabbi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mavic 517's are about the lightest there is. They are old tech so pretty cheap in most cases.
Old 11-30-04, 04:53 PM
la vache fantôme

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
from what ive read frame isnt the most significant weight worry. Of course weight is weight but wheels really are the thing you wanna get good. Besides, lots of people swear by steel frames and you dont see many people swearing by steel rims.
Old 11-30-04, 05:01 PM
Humaniod Typhoon

Bikes: specialized hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wheel weight is important if you wanna shed weight....circular motion and "fictional" forces exerted towers the outside of the wheel increase weight of the wheel....mavics are nice...i think rhyno lites are prety lite in most cases and pretty strong...
Old 11-30-04, 05:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE....circular motion and "fictional" forces exerted towers the outside of the wheel increase weight of the wheel....mavics are nice......[/QUOTE]

Gotta love those fictional forces. They're the easiest kind to counteract!
Old 11-30-04, 10:42 PM
Humaniod Typhoon

Bikes: specialized hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol.....centerfugal forces.....gotta love that they dont "really exist" but they do...
Old 12-01-04, 01:40 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Mavic 517's on a light hub with double butted spokes, but don't forget the tyres. Some of the MTB slicks don't roll very well. Look for a thin tyre that can take high pressures-- I use Conti Grand prix. Also remember that a thin slick is going to give you a lower speed, or the decrease in rolling resistance will mean that you will run out of gears on an MTB quicker. If it is out and out speed you are looking for, look at raising the gearing aswell.

Seeing as you quote in £'s look at merlin cycles for quality at an acceptable price.
Old 12-01-04, 04:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, the custom build wheels on merlin look the best, can pick all the parts. Probably do this next year, or I could upgrade my new bikes wheels and swap the old ones over hehe.
Old 12-01-04, 10:00 AM
The Rabbi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Honestly here is what I would do...

Mavic 517's on XT hubs, should be under $200 US
Specialized Fatboy 100psi slicks, 1.5" $30ea?
11-25 105 cassette $25-40?
(so you get bigger gears and less of a gap between gears)

If you get the 517s off of Pricepoint, Performance, Jenson, Nashbar, they are really cheap. Sure, they aren't handbuilt, but if you take them to a shop and have the dish/true/tension checked for about $12 per wheel you can save a lot of coin. This is one point where its hard to make an argument for buying handbuilt wheels from your LBS, unless you are a very demanding rider with very particular tastes.