Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Anybody tried the kits from GoCarLite.com?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-11, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am considering this kit from GoCarLite.com:

https://www.gocarlite.com/Electricbik...ct=4&category=

Seems somewhat underpriced - do you think it's junk? Wondering if anybody has tried the kits from these guy. No contact info on their site, so I'm a little sketched out.
Old 10-01-11, 01:26 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's not underpriced by any stretch of the imagination...
Normal kits go for $250 WITHOUT batteries and for $400 shipped you can get a decent 36v 20ah battery off eBay.
Old 10-02-11, 05:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just Installed a Geared front kit Works great. Doug at Gocarlite is a good guy to work with. Checks every unit before it ships.And even gives his Cell Phone Number. Try to get that on Ebay This is my second Electric Kit The first was a BionX Witch is a good unit. But if I would have known about the Gocarlite kit First I doubt I would have bought the BionX for that kind of money
Old 10-02-11, 12:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I actually did end up finding the contact info on the site, and I called and talked to Doug. Seemed like a very helpful and knowledgeable guy. I ordered a kit.
Old 10-02-11, 04:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you did get the rear wheel kit Make sure you get a good freewheel the first time.When I installed my Rear BionX kit I got the IRD freewheel from Harris cyclery All the other ones I tried where bad. I would have liked to use a Suntour but they were to much money.The IRD is the best bang for the buck If you are running a 9 speed a 7 or 8 will work with a rear DR adjustment A 9 might be too wide for your spacing With Electric you will not use all the gears anyway
Old 11-09-11, 10:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wanted to update this thread for posterity - I got my e-kit from Doug at gocarlite.com, and it's great! Doug was very friendly and helpful, and continues to answer my questions promptly over email. It's my first e-bike so I really don't have anything else to compare it to, but I'm getting 20-22 mph with the kit on a heavy beach cruiser and it's a total blast to ride. I have been commuting to work on it for about a month now, first doing 8 miles round-trip then 19 miles round-trip after I moved to a new house further away, with no issues.
Old 11-12-11, 04:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad it worked out for you, It is a nice system Just maintain the battery. The Direct Drive Hub is bullet proof This system should last for a long time .
Old 01-23-15, 11:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purchased the gocarlite 48v geared kit and installed in on a 26inch wheeled mountain bike. I was pretty impressed with it and loads of fun. Then decided I would rather convert a 20inch wheeled foldable bike I had to electric. I send my hub motor back to Doug and he relaced it to a 20 inch wheel in a few days at a very reasonable price. I installed it on the foldable bike, and now I have a serious hill climbing machine. Been going strong for a couple months now. I have been very pleased with the quality and service form gocarlite.
Old 01-24-15, 10:55 AM

Bikes: E+ kit, BIONX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
lavadisco,
where are you located?
winter, salt on the road, very rainy days?
Old 01-26-15, 10:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lavadisco,
I'm in Southern California, so no adverse driving conditions other than OC Housewives texting from their Escalades ;-)
Old 01-10-16, 09:35 PM

Bikes: Mongoose, Schwinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lagunaPete
I purchased the gocarlite 48v geared kit and installed in on a 26inch wheeled mountain bike. I was pretty impressed with it and loads of fun. Then decided I would rather convert a 20inch wheeled foldable bike I had to electric. I send my hub motor back to Doug and he relaced it to a 20 inch wheel in a few days at a very reasonable price. I installed it on the foldable bike, and now I have a serious hill climbing machine. Been going strong for a couple months now. I have been very pleased with the quality and service form gocarlite.
It has been a while since you posted this lagunaPete, but thanks for sharing your good experience. I do actually remember relacing that for you...glad it has worked well!

Last edited by obed7; 01-11-16 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-10-16, 11:32 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
Have heard only good things about this dealer. Hope that everyone is prepared for the "cheap Chinese crap" comment, especially those on i-phones or i-macs.
Old 01-20-16, 10:34 AM

Bikes: Bike E recumbent, Cannondale Optimo, SSR Sand Viper 500w

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been talking extesively through emails with Doug at Gocarlite, trying to make a decision about which one of my bikes to convert for my first e-bike. I have a Bike E recumbent, and a Cannondale Optimo cyclocross, but I may just buy the fully rigged-already Bianchi Cortina that he offers on his site. It seems like more of a commuter style ride than my two. He has been very patient and answered all of my newby questions. I'm sure I'll have a few more before I commit. Any advice from this forum on making my decision will be welcome.

I should add that Doug thinks I should convert my Bike E, because bents are so comfortable, but mine is the small one and I wouldn't have any ability to carry things like lunch for work or a small grocery load. I'd have to rig up a trailer, I guess.

Last edited by Roytoy; 01-20-16 at 11:17 AM.